AR Newbie Registered Member

B&K Fan with questions

Folks:

I recently bought/built a new home for my faimly. Previously we have been living in apts which really stink for HT. I am looking to do 2 things and need some advise

Currently I have a B&K AVR 202 that I bought in 1999 and a set of B&W 603 S2's with matching B&W Spearers in the rear. I LOVE the B&K system it is a work horse I LOVE how easy the remote is to use and everything that comes with it. I love how many options I have on how to set it up. (Basically I love it) I figure I will use this for the down stairs living room. (The AVR 202) and pick up some Celing mount speakers (I know it is a shame to put cheap speakers on this type of unit but...). I will also keep the Sony WEGA 36 inch for downstairs entertainment..

Now for the hard part... I have my new house built with RJ45 jacks all over the place. The "server" room will be in the master closet (this closet is HUGE) and will house all my DTS Audio files and Movies (about 2 terrabytes) I REALLY want a receiver that is able to receive DTS audio over RJ45. Sadly I do not see that B&K offers this option. I understand few if any receivers would be able to read the video files. what units are Close in Ease of use/power/scaliability/duriability/features/ to the AVR 505/507 (I currently only have 5.1 not 6.1 or 7.1 media and am not setup at this time to do so) that includes the ability to read or receive streaming audio. Ideally I am looking to keep about 2k for the receiver. I figure I will move the B&W 603's and the infinity Sub upstaris and find some good rears/center that can be celing mounted

Additionally. with the new HT room I am also looking for a HD Projector. This also needs to be able to receive data via RJ45. The room is about 19 X 12 in size and will have In celing lights (on a dimmer of course) sadly the room DOES have windows but I can do drapes/shades ect to set the proper lighting. Can anyone suggest a few models (At one time I was given a link for a location in Japan that sold them for about 50% of what they go for in the north America. the only drawback is it had to be shipped back to them if it needed warrenty work. I have since lost the link and I am willing to take that chance if anyone has any ideal about where this site is (I have been googleing for some time)

Thank you for your help

Just two questions:

1) Assuming you can somehow get audio over cat-5 cable to the receiver, how are you going to get a video signal to it?

2) What cables did you run to the projector location?

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Just two questions:

1) Assuming you can somehow get audio over cat-5 cable to the receiver, how are you going to get a video signal to it?

2) What cables did you run to the projector location?
    answer 1. Check out an item similar to the hxxp://www.videocapturecard.com/svideobalun2.html

Answer 2. I have not run the cables yet to the Projector location but I have the ability of running pretty much anything to it since it is on the 2nd floor and I have an attic

So I take it you're not concerned about getting an HD or DVD signal to your projector? If you don't mind being limited to s-video that should be fine, but I would think you would want compoment video at a minimum. HDMI would be the preferred method.

Ok I guess I need to clarify. I do NOT plan on streaming HD videos over the ethernet cable. I have many NON HD shows on the file server.

So the projector does not need to receive HD feeds over the ethernet (only Non HD) The HD feeds will have HDMI or component fed from the Video room (same room as the projector) to the projector.

Ok.. RJ 45 will be only for NON HD video to the Projector and AUDIO to the Stereo receiver (If I can find one that will accept it without the use of something like this
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/PINNACLE-210100460-HARDWARE-SHOWCENTER-200-WIRELESS-NIB_W0QQitemZ320015656498QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50587Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    to convert it to a Audio out

Thread Information