Sony 43 xbr
    Dish netowrk receiver
    B&W 603 and 602
    mk 12kII

Second zone
    pioneer amp
    pineer cd player
    JBL outdoor speakers

What is the best way to hook up all this stuff?

I dont want to use the surround speakers everytime I watch TV but would like to use the DSS to listen to music through my receiver.

I dont think my current config is right..

Anyone willing to help??

Quote Originally Posted by ericc
    What is the best way to hook up all this stuff?

I dont want to use the surround speakers everytime I watch TV but would like to use the DSS to listen to music through my receiver.
    If you do not want to use the surround sound speakers then just turn them off for the input you set to be the input from the dish network. Maybe I do not understand what you are asking, but I hook-up all of my sound through my receiver and then edit the options or configurations on my receiver to do what I want when I select to a given input mode. For example, if a CD is put in, it will do stereo; a DVD, surround; etc.

Does this answer your question?
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Forum Regular
    If you hook them up that way ,how do you listen to play the DSS through your TV and receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by alumpkin
    If you do not want to use the surround sound speakers then just turn them off for the input you set to be the input from the dish network. Maybe I do not understand what you are asking, but I hook-up all of my sound through my receiver and then edit the options or configurations on my receiver to do what I want when I select to a given input mode. For example, if a CD is put in, it will do stereo; a DVD, surround; etc.

Does this answer your question?

If you hook them up that way ,how do you listen to play the DSS through your TV and receiver?
    Oh, ok you want to listen through your tv as well. Well, I looked up the Denon AVR-3300 and I have included a picture of the back. If this is your receiver, then I have another question... how are you hooking up your dish network for surround? If you are running digital such as coax or optical, does the dish network also have stereo outputs that you can run to the tv?

Sorry for any confusions, I was looking into doing this once for my system and decided to just run everything through my receiver. I now change my receiver output to stereo if I am watching tv and to digital surround if listening to music or watching HD tv channels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HT setup-denon-avr-3300.jpg  
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Forum Regular
    Yes it is my receiver.
    I have a basic DSS so i have it hooked through a coax cable to the tv and the S-video from the receiver to the TV to run the DVD player.. I use the audio out from the tv to the receiver to listen to DSS through my receiver..

My problem is that the TV cant handle both SV and Comp. video ( so i was told by the HT store) that is why I had to hook it up this way.

SO really i dont get to take advantage of the compnent video that the dvd has to offer.

I wish i could run it all through my receiver , but dont want to use the surrounds all the time ,just for movies and playing music

QUOTE=alumpkin]Oh, ok you want to listen through your tv as well. Well, I looked up the Denon AVR-3300 and I have included a picture of the back. If this is your receiver, then I have another question... how are you hooking up your dish network for surround? If you are running digital such as coax or optical, does the dish network also have stereo outputs that you can run to the tv?

Sorry for any confusions, I was looking into doing this once for my system and decided to just run everything through my receiver. I now change my receiver output to stereo if I am watching tv and to digital surround if listening to music or watching HD tv channels.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is my receiver.
    I have a basic DSS so i have it hooked through a coax cable to the tv and the S-video from the receiver to the TV to run the DVD player.. I use the audio out from the tv to the receiver to listen to DSS through my receiver..

My problem is that the TV cant handle both SV and Comp. video ( so i was told by the HT store) that is why I had to hook it up this way.

SO really i dont get to take advantage of the compnent video that the dvd has to offer.

I wish i could run it all through my receiver , but dont want to use the surrounds all the time ,just for movies and playing music
    Sorry for being away Ericc, I have been quite busy the past few days and did not have time to respond. It seems to me that if your tv cannot output sound and send it out to your receiver at the same time, you have a problem on your hands. Your only option might be that you have to plug and unplug the audio plug on your tv to your receiver depending on if you want to listen to the tv speakers or your receiver speakers. Maybe you can set your tv on its menu to still output sound even though you are plugging in your receiver. If you are just interested in stereo when you watch tv, can you just send the sound through the receiver and only turn on your two front speakers for stereo? If this is not an option, unfortunately your best bet would be to look into a new DSS.

Thread Information