Thinking about New TV for my Home Theatre - Recommendations?

Hi guys,

I would like to solicit some feedback and recommendations for a new home theatre TV. I have the Sony 70"XBR2 SXRD and you are probably aware of the debaucle of the OB engine technology, where blobs started appearing. I had the OB engine in my TV replaced three times and the last replacement actually did solve the problem (I guess three times is a charm), but the whole experience kinda jaded me so I'm thinking seriously about a new TV. I know that its going to be difficult to get a flatscreen at 70" so I'm looking anywhere from 55" on up. Recommendations are welcome. I would love the idea of a projector but I don't have the room - or the money - at present. Should also mention that it can't be expensive.

Thanks Much

O'Shag
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I like the 50" Panny plasmas, but I haven't checked into anything larger. If I was going larger than 50" I would take a serious look at projectors. Several around here have hd projectors. Maybe a few of them will have suggestions on how you can fit a projector into your home theater room (and budget).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Hi guys,

I would like to solicit some feedback and recommendations for a new home theatre TV. I have the Sony 70"XBR2 SXRD and you are probably aware of the debaucle of the OB engine technology, where blobs started appearing. I had the OB engine in my TV replaced three times and the last replacement actually did solve the problem (I guess three times is a charm), but the whole experience kinda jaded me so I'm thinking seriously about a new TV. I know that its going to be difficult to get a flatscreen at 70" so I'm looking anywhere from 55" on up. Recommendations are welcome. I would love the idea of a projector but I don't have the room - or the money - at present. Should also mention that it can't be expensive.

Thanks Much

O'Shag

Good time to buy.
    I saw a Sony 55" at Walfart yesterday for 1800 bucks.
    I would get a LED tho.
    If you want size the best bargain in HT is the line of Mitshubishi DLP sets.
    A 60" can be had for under a grand(everybody wants a flat screen).
    But the DLP is a nice looking pic, dont know about reliability, tho
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

A projector can be very nice, and they are much more affordable than most people know. A 1080p projector can be had for under $1000. Screens can be made for about $100. But you would need to be able to control your lighting. It doesn’t have to be pitch dark, but sunlight is troublesome. Black out cloth usually is all you need to be in business. I have 2 projectors in my house that cost me less than what 1 70 plazma would have cost at the time. One has a 92” screen and the other 106”. They really put the “theater” in home theater!
    Mounting it on the sealing takes up no room at all.
    This is the website to look at if you really want to pursue projectors at all. http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

If you can find a good deal on one samsung 55" led lcd in either the 6000 series to the 8000 series are all awesome televisions by any standards and I love mine very much. they have very good brightness and clarity with the led backlighting making the contrast something you need to see and makes the difference between plasma and lcd less. I would go lcd anyway myself sense they have a longer lifespan and they seem to have less problems especially with burn in and stability.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

As GM suggested, you might want to look into front projectors. They're not as expensive as you might think. It's just the installation that you have worry about.

Otherwise, DLP gives you the best bang for the buck as far as TV screen size goes. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi is the only manufacturer left in the DLP RPTV market. Picture quality is good, but their reliability has been spotty at best.

In the 55"+ sizes for flat panels, plasma will give you biggest screen size for the money. Panasonic and Samsung are both very well regarded for picture quality and reliability, and have screen sizes up to 65" available. Costco's currently selling a 58" 1080p Samsung for $1,650.

LCDs are generally more expensive in that screen size, and while LED backlighting improves the contrast and (with scanning backlights) motion resolution, LED backlighting adds considerably to the cost.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

AR Newbie Registered Member

It is not, I think, an especially good time to buy, since this year's 3D models are just starting to appear. They are still rather expensive, if you're interested in 3D, and there hasn't been time for them to push down prices of non-3D models, in case you're not interested in 3D.
    Greg

Thanks much for the feedback. I am checking into all of your suggestions.
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Thread Information