Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You should get 2+ years with no problem. I like that model very much. Let me know if you ever need parts for it. We can get Epson parts at a good price. That lamp costs us $260.
    Oh, I see...good to keep in mind. I have 2 spare bulbs now. Wonder if it'd be worth getting the filters?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Oh, I see...good to keep in mind. I have 2 spare bulbs now. Wonder if it'd be worth getting the filters?
    If you mean part number 1304675, they are 0.52 each. I don't know if I'd want to spend THAT much.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    A year & 1/2 ago when I bought my TV, I had the choice of 720 or 1080. My buying habits lean towards bang-for-the-buck and futureproofing, which I feel is what I got with my Mits 1080p DLP. Changing bulbs adds expense for sure, but if all I have to replace over the next ten years is a bulb or two, thats fine with me. Beats replacing other, more expensive technologies every 3 - 5 years. And even if I have to replace the light engine once or twice over that span of time, I still think I've come out ahead.

And now I am stealing it back.
    ONE contribution your companies DLP chips have made was the advent of 1080p, at least thats my understanding.
    WERENT any serious 1080p displays out there until DLP started in with the "woblelation " process (or whatever you call it) of shaking a chip to get twice the resolution outta it.
    Weren't you guys first with a serious 1080p SET?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    I'd have to look into that. But I will give you this bit of inside info: the DLP group has survived the latest re-org of the company, but at this time the group doesn't have the visibility it had a couple of years ago. There will be a lot more focus on Medical (imaging I suspect) going forward.

Forum Regular
    DLP is a good technology and can put out a great picture when properly implemented. I don't know how it can hang on going forward since it seems like everything is moving towards flat panels whether they be plasma or LCD. Its just too damn big.

DLP is still viable for projectors. They tend to give a better picture than the LCD models, but pricing has been much higher. Now the prices are coming more in line, while LCD's have become almost as good. Still, DLP projectors are very popular in projector circles. They may never be as popular as a basic flat screen TV, but they are way more popular than they were 4 or 5 years ago.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    My 57" DLP TV is 17" deep, which I agree is big and bulky, however, it IS 57" and I paid under $2K for it 1 & 1/2 years ago. No, I can't hang it on a wall (the thought never entered my mind during the decision making phase anyway), but I don't have to pay $80 - $100 bucks for a mounting bracket either. Another thing, if it wasn't so wide I'd be able to pick it up myself because it's surprisingly lightweight.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    My 57" DLP TV is 17" deep, which I agree is big and bulky, however, it IS 57" and I paid under $2K for it 1 & 1/2 years ago. No, I can't hang it on a wall (the thought never entered my mind during the decision making phase anyway), but I don't have to pay $80 - $100 bucks for a mounting bracket either. Another thing, if it wasn't so wide I'd be able to pick it up myself because it's surprisingly lightweight.
    I love my 51" Toshiba RPTV. It's 4 years old now. Still works great. The PQ is better than our new LCD for the most part, especially cpntrast, but color is a bit better too.
    And it's thicker and heavier than your DLP Rick.
    But if I could do it over again, I probably would have picked a DLP model a year later. Oh well...wife bought it for me before we were married, I wasn't complaining. I'm probably going to give it to my folks. It's sort of in the way now.

Suspended
    My boss got a LED DLP TV (60 some inches) for his 25th anniversary and he just loves it. I'll ask him what the dimensions are and I'll bet it's lighter than mine.

Nevertheless, DLP will survive in one form or another. One might someday find oneself looking at a picture of his/her brain in glorious 1080p resolution.

Cool

[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]My boss got a LED DLP TV (60 some inches) for his 25th anniversary and he just loves it. I'll ask him what the dimensions are and I'll bet it's lighter than mine.

Nevertheless, DLP will survive in one form or another. One might someday find oneself looking at a picture of his/her brain in glorious 1080p resolution.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

My 720p DLP Front Projector looks good to me..... I just care about the audio really..... but I have 2 blu-ray players nonetheless.......

Even on my 37" LCD that is 720p, the "wow" factor from DVD to Blu-ray (I have about 30-40 movies on Blu-ray that I already own on DVD) is AMAZING...... worth EVERY penny, as you'd say

Again, it's worth it to me..... but I think size/viewing distance has more to do with whether you're going to buy 720p or 1080p, because I sit 8 feet away from my 37", and with or without blu-ray, I'd be hard pressed to justify spending more (although my set was free) for the 1080p model.

Speaking of 720p vs 1080p, I notice a lot of people are holding onto older 1080i CRT projectors rather than upgrading to 1080p LCD/DLP projectors because they prefer the image quality of the CRT projector..... I've seen them in action as well, and I agree (until you get to the upper levels, or at least moderately pricey ones)

O.K. attack me now........................

You also know there is more to image quality than lines of resolution.... anyone with a Vizio should know THAT!

Room isn't done yet, no audio equipment, and blu-ray player was just set up to adjust the screen......

I appologize for my lack of window treatments (I'm sealing them off completely, and putting up velvet curtains to conceal the accoustical panels)

Also sorry for the angle shots, and poor photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information