Forum Regular

Is there a picture difference between Trinitron 27" Sony & HDTV 27" Set?

Someone implied on another thread, that for TV sets under 32" there is not much difference in the picture quality between a good regular set and an HDTV ready set. Is that true as I don't want to waste money buying a 27" HDTV ready set if it won't be a marked improvement. Specifically I have an excellent 27" Sony Surround Sound 27" set & although it is 15 years old I've never had an problems whatsoever with it and I'm happy with the picture, sound, etc. Given that, would I be wasting my money replacing this set with an HDTV ready 27" set? IE, would the picture on the 27" HDTV set be that much better if I got HDTV cable broadcasts and played movies on my DVD player?

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Specifically I have an excellent 27" Sony Surround Sound 27" set & although it is 15 years old I've never had an problems whatsoever with it and I'm happy with the picture, sound, etc.
    Hershon, does your 15 years TV have S-video input?

If answer is no, then you will definitely benefit from new TV.

If the answer is yes, then benefits will depend on the quality of TV. Just because a TV is HD, does not automatically mean it will give you an excellent picture

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Hershon, does your 15 years TV have S-video input?If answer is no, then you will definitely benefit from new TV. If the answer is yes, then benefits will depend on the quality of TV. Just because a TV is HD, does not automatically mean it will give you an excellent picture
    First off thank you for all your help. It looks like I've purchased 1 big screen HDTV (see seperate thread) feel free to comment here good or bad (I made a refundable deposit of $500). That TV is Mitsubishi 48" WS48315 which I got on sale at $1,600 which includes free delivery & installation) for a very good reputable Audio Video Store called Ken Cranes in LA where the salesman actually are very knowledgeable and helpful not like Best Buy/Circuit City retards. I fell in love with the picture and the TV's look and its widescreen format didn't look that bizarre to me the way others do.

In regards to your comment, what does S-Video input do or mean? I definately have one but don't use it. My TV picture is currently digital via the cable company and my DVD player (which I'm probably going to replace based on comments here but works fine to me) is a Toshiba but not progressive scan.
    Last edited by hershon; 09-18-2004 at 08:07 PM.

Forum Regular
    Herson:

I think you will be extremely pleased with your purchase. I don't think the wide screen will bother you at all. I was extremely hesitant about buying a wide screen too, and for the same reasons as you, but in the end it was a wise desicion.

In regard to your question, there are many differen types of inputs. They most popular are:

Composite = the yellow cable you have probably always used
    S Video = a five pin cable that seperates black and color signals (better quality than composite)
    Component = three separate cables one for red, blue, and green (higher quality than S Video)

It's almost guaranteed that your new set will have several of the above mentioned connections.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your comments. I'm hoping to unload my excellent working Sony 46" non HDTV for $350 or better on Ebay, Los Angeles pickup only. if anyone is interested please email me.
    Quote Originally Posted by brulaha
    Herson:

I think you will be extremely pleased with your purchase. I don't think the wide screen will bother you at all. I was extremely hesitant about buying a wide screen too, and for the same reasons as you, but in the end it was a wise desicion.

In regard to your question, there are many differen types of inputs. They most popular are:

Composite = the yellow cable you have probably always used
    S Video = a five pin cable that seperates black and color signals (better quality than composite)
    Component = three separate cables one for red, blue, and green (higher quality than S Video)

It's almost guaranteed that your new set will have several of the above mentioned connections.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Thread Information