Television Brands

Printable View

• 09-15-2004, 07:24 AM
    tpcounty
    Television Brands
    Any recommendations on Standard 32" tube TV brands? What's good, what's not? JVC? Toshiba? Sharp? Sony? RCA? What's the word of mouth rep on these brands? What do you like? what to avoid? Any thought?
  • 09-15-2004, 07:45 AM
    JSE
    I have alway's liked Hitachi TVs. I have had a 32 inch model for about 8 years now? Never had one problem with it. Still has a picture that looks better than most Plasma's I have seen, IMO of course. A buddy of mine bought a Panasonic about the same time and it's still going strong as well. I really like the Panasonic's picture. Just seem more vivid that most brands. Of the ones you mentioned, I have heard and read good reviews on JVC and Toshiba. They seem to be liked by most people. I would probably stay away from Sony and RCA. Everyone I have ever known who owns a Sony or RCA has always had problems.

Maybe Woodman will chime in. He spent years working on these things.

JSE
  • 09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tpcounty
    Any recommendations on Standard 32" tube TV brands? What's good, what's not? JVC? Toshiba? Sharp? Sony? RCA? What's the word of mouth rep on these brands? What do you like? what to avoid? Any thought?

First off, it must be said that you might have a good experience with any make or model of set - in terms of reliability. However, there is hardly any such thing as "a sure thing", and with certain brands, your odds lean rather heavily in one direction or the other. Having said that, here's my personal list of sets to consider (and those you'd be better off staying away from):

Yay:
    Toshiba
    Hitachi
    Sharp
    JVC

Nay:
    RCA
    Zenith
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Philips (Magnavox)
    any other brand that you've never heard of

The above are based upon more than 50 years of "hands-on" experience with them. Hope it helps you.
  • 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
    jamison162
    Type
    Are your recommendations based on tube sets only or across the board? What about Mitsubishi?
  • 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
    tpcounty
    Question about Sharp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman
    First off, it must be said that you might have a good experience with any make or model of set - in terms of reliability. However, there is hardly any such thing as "a sure thing", and with certain brands, your odds lean rather heavily in one direction or the other. Having said that, here's my personal list of sets to consider (and those you'd be better off staying away from):

Yay:
    Toshiba
    Hitachi
    Sharp
    JVC

Nay:
    RCA
    Zenith
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Philips (Magnavox)
    any other brand that you've never heard of

The above are based upon more than 50 years of "hands-on" experience with them. Hope it helps you.

With your experience, what do you think about my current problem with a Sharp 32" Standard Tube TV. The RCA female connectors in the back of the TV seem to be weak or cheap and when I connect a cable to them and when if I try to remove the cable, the metal jacket on the female plug gets ripped off. Ever seen anything like that? I am using Acoustic Research cables and some generic cables and while the connections are snug, I don't feel that I am exerting unreasonable force to remove the cables. I have never had this problem with any other component in the past. I have already returned the TV once and now I am thinking about returning the TV again and trying a Toshiba model instead.
  • 09-15-2004, 01:29 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison162
    Are your recommendations based on tube sets only or across the board? What about Mitsubishi?

The original post was inquiring specifically about 32" direct-view CRT sets. Since Mitsubishi bowed out of all direct-view set production a number of years ago, that is why they weren't mentioned in my reply.

If the subject is RPTVs, then Mitsubishi would be on the "Yay" list.
  • 09-15-2004, 01:37 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

With your experience, what do you think about my current problem with a Sharp 32" Standard Tube TV. The RCA female connectors in the back of the TV seem to be weak or cheap and when I connect a cable to them and when if I try to remove the cable, the metal jacket on the female plug gets ripped off. Ever seen anything like that? I am using Acoustic Research cables and some generic cables and while the connections are snug, I don't feel that I am exerting unreasonable force to remove the cables. I have never had this problem with any other component in the past. I have already returned the TV once and now I am thinking about returning the TV again and trying a Toshiba model instead.

I've never, ever seen an RCA jack come apart as you describe. Looks like Sharp has decided to purchase this part from the cheapest possible source. This is an unfortunate byproduct with the industry's absolute obsession with continually reducing prices on TV sets (as well as nearly every other Consumer Electronic product category). It's not in the best interests of consumers, although nearly everyone thinks that it is.

I don't blame you for giving up on Sharp after the experience you've had ... I probably would too. Be advised however that some cable suppliers go more than a bit overboard in making their male RCA plugs extremely snug fitting.
  • 09-15-2004, 01:40 PM
    JSE
    Quote:

The original post was inquiring specifically about 32" direct-view CRT sets. Since Mitsubishi bowed out of all direct-view set production a number of years ago, that is why they weren't mentioned in my reply.

If the subject is RPTVs, then Mitsubishi would be on the "Yay" list.

I still have a small Mits. 13" set from back in the mid eighties that still has a great picture and probably rivals most direct view TVs today.

BTW, I saw the 82" Mitsubishi RPTV this last weekend. Very BIG! I was not that impressed with the picture though. Details were very fuzzy and "fragmented". Edges were not smooth and the number on jerseys were almost unreadable. Maybe it's just not set up correctly? Oh, and it cost $14,999.99. :eek:

JSE
  • 09-15-2004, 03:08 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Having said that, here's my personal list of sets to consider (and those you'd be better off staying away from):

Yay:
    Toshiba
    Hitachi
    Sharp
    JVC

Nay:
    RCA
    Zenith
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Philips (Magnavox)
    any other brand that you've never heard of.

Woodman

Are you sure Panasonic belong in the "nay" list given it is the only TV in that list that carry one year [labor] warranty?
  • 09-15-2004, 03:24 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    Woodman

Are you sure Panasonic belong in the "nay" list given it is the only TV in that list that carry one year [labor] warranty?

My experience(s) with Panasonic products has led me to put them on my "nay" list - even though I applaud their 1 year labor warranty, which IMO is what every TV mfg. should offer.

I found Panasonic TV sets to be put into the marketplace before all of the "bugs" had been found and corrected. This of course necessitated "PCBs" (Production Change Bulletins) to inform the servicing industry of the change(s). These came out in such a steady, never-ending stream sufficient to make a preacher cuss and non-preachers to pull all of their hair out. So, when any mfgs. TV sets are an absolute headache to service, they cannot be put on any "Yay" list - no matter how exemplary their performance might be (and Panasonic's performance IS top notch ... just like Sony).
  • 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM
    brulaha
    Quote:

Woodman

Both my Hitachi and JVC, purchase one and four years ago came with a one year warranty on parts and service.
  • 09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Woodman

Actually, Toshiba's got 1 yr. on the labor and 2 yrs. on the tube. Not sure about the others.
  • 09-15-2004, 04:09 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Friend of mine who worked at an AV shop typically steered his customers to the Toshibas and away from the Sonys. In his experience, the Toshibas gave him the least grief (fewest DOAs, and fewest returns/lost commissions), while the Sonys would occasionally give him a LOT of grief (the Wegas were notoriously inconsistent with their reliability, which made for unhappy customers prone to asking for a refund). He was neutral on the Pannys and JVCs. He said they were decent with the quality, but he didn't like the picture quality as much as the Toshibas.
  • 09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
    Smokey
    Brulaha and Wooch

The list I was referring to which Pansonic is included was the "Nay" list Woodman provided. In the "Yay" list, all the TVs Woodman mentioned have on year warranty. Sorry for misunderstanding :)

Quote:

This of course necessitated "PCBs" (Production Change Bulletins) to inform the servicing industry of the change(s). These came out in such a steady, never-ending stream sufficient to make a preacher cuss and non-preachers to pull all of their hair out.

Woodman

The Production Change Bulletins [from Panasonic] you mentioned is of recent nature, or was it during the period you worked in industry which was while back?

Thanks.
  • 09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Woodman

The Production Change Bulletins [from Panasonic] you mentioned is of recent nature, or was it during the period you worked in industry which was while back?

Thanks.

They were a constant stream from the time that Panasonic first appeared in the U.S. market until I retired (in 2000). I wouldn't bet so much as a nickel that the stream has stopped since I retired.
  • 09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
    Dale M
    Hi,, Im not into the know of things enough to offer advice on whats good and whats not.
    but since Panasonic came in the conversation, I d thought Id toss my opinion in,but not about picture tube Tv's, Last Xmas I bought a Panasonic 53in. RPTV, Panasonic had two models in the same size, think 1 is the Cinema-vision and the other, is the Cinema-vision
    Tau, the first is a little cheaper then the second, I bought the Tau, and so far I love it, I looked at most sets in the store and to me this seemed to have the better picture of the ones that were within the $amount that I wanted to spend. maybe it was adjusted best in the store and thats why I liked it more,, I also liked the storage area in the bottom of the stand,small it might be but the digital box and the kids xbox fits in it . I bought a 5 year extended warranty for $280, I have not had any problems with it so far.
    But I did come here to ask Woodman or anyone in the Know whats the difference between
    these 2 sets beside the word Tau being on mine,, or was it a couple hundred bucks more for Just those 3 little letters,
    Thanks
    Dale M
  • 09-16-2004, 03:11 AM
    tpcounty
    A Question
    Quote:

I've never, ever seen an RCA jack come apart as you describe. Looks like Sharp has decided to purchase this part from the cheapest possible source. This is an unfortunate byproduct with the industry's absolute obsession with continually reducing prices on TV sets (as well as nearly every other Consumer Electronic product category). It's not in the best interests of consumers, although nearly everyone thinks that it is.

I don't blame you for giving up on Sharp after the experience you've had ... I probably would too. Be advised however that some cable suppliers go more than a bit overboard in making their male RCA plugs extremely snug fitting.

If you received a service call with the problem I described with the female plug being damaged. What is the repair procedure? Do you simply reattach the metal jacket or do you replace the whole input panel?? Can something like that be fixed by a regular Joe at home?
  • 09-16-2004, 09:21 AM
    woodman
    Quote:

If you received a service call with the problem I described with the female plug being damaged. What is the repair procedure? Do you simply reattach the metal jacket or do you replace the whole input panel?? Can something like that be fixed by a regular Joe at home?

The answer to your last question first ... No!

As to the first Q ... it would involve replacing the entire "jack panel", which is not a sure-fire cure for the problem since the same thing could happen with the replacement panel (unless Sharp has had enough problems with the original supplier of the female RCAs that they've gone to a new, more reliable supplier for those jacks). Once an RCA jack has come apart, all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put it back together again in any way, shape or form that would have even a tiny bit of reliability to it.
  • 09-17-2004, 03:20 AM
    tpcounty
    Toshiba here we come
    Quote:

The answer to your last question first ... No!

As to the first Q ... it would involve replacing the entire "jack panel", which is not a sure-fire cure for the problem since the same thing could happen with the replacement panel (unless Sharp has had enough problems with the original supplier of the female RCAs that they've gone to a new, more reliable supplier for those jacks). Once an RCA jack has come apart, all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put it back together again in any way, shape or form that would have even a tiny bit of reliability to it.

Well, I made the call to customer service and I will be replacing the TV with a new Toshiba.

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • 09-17-2004, 03:39 AM
    markw
    Quote:

Well, I made the call to customer service and I will be replacing the TV with a new Toshiba.

I think that's a wise move. Good luck!
  • 09-29-2004, 05:48 AM
    tpcounty
    Update
    Well, they came and took away the Sharp and brought me my new Toshiba. No problem with RCA jacks ripping off anymore.
    The only hiccup is that the Samsung DVD player I wanted to hook up to it did not work with component video. It stated a 525i mode in the manual but it does not work with my Toshiba which states the dvd player must be set to 480i mode.

Anyone know what 525i mode is?

I swapped dvd player with the one I had in the bedroom and that one works perfectly with the Toshiba. I moved the Samsung to the bedroom and it works fine with s-video since the bedroom tv does not have component video inputs.

It took a little bit of a hassle but I am now very happy with my TV purchase. Thanks to all who helped.