Talk me out of VIZIO VX32L

So, I've stayed away from getting a TV for around a year, but I think it's about time I get back into it. Well I just need a decent TV that'll work as a big PC monitor.

I plan to sit about 5-10' away from it, and will be used primary for PC and occasional movies. I've thought about placing it between my spakers, but NOT A CHANCE!!!

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=18

So, they have some sort of costly proprietory technology that 95% of TV manufacturers use?
    For that they are able to offer products at lower price. Or something, right?

Anyways, they've been around for more than a year, and with my budget they fit in quite nicely. ($650 MAX)

Is it still a great buy for PC application and 3-4 movies a week?

I would appreciate some thoughts on this matter.

Thanx

Don't buy it! How does that work?

Suspended
    Wasn't there a topic about the Westinghouse HDTV minus the tuner section? If you're just looking for a large PC monitor why spend so much on a TV that you won't be fully utilizing? I had plans to build a Home Theater PC (HTPC), connect it to my DLP TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse to play games, but logistics prevented that. IMO, you should see if there are large screen LCD monitors that you'll be comfortable with from the viewing distance you speak of.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I've owned a Vizio L3210A for about a year now. Its a great TV for the money and has been trouble-free so far.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

application, application, application...

Ayo Jayrah,

You've never come off as a videophile (further evidenced by not owning a TV for a year). Who gives a damn if it's not the be-all-end-all of the "widescreen LCD viewing experience"? You're not talking about critical viewing or gaming. Buy the thing. I'd bet for your application that not only will it be just fine but will actually exceed expectations. Plus, it'll save you enough money to do something more important like by some old jazz vinyl or SACDs.

I'm so confident in GlenB's testimonial and other anecdotal evidence that I'll put my money where my mouth is. If you hate the unit and have to return it, I'll send you an old Walter Beasley smooth jazz disc to use as a coaster and the official Soulja Boy~How To Crank That instructional video.

Peace,
    M

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I just bought a Panasonic LCD TC-32LX70 for very close to your budget, 698.00. I'm just way more comfortable with a known brand. And, by the way, am totally satisfied with the purchase and I never hesitate to schlep stuff back for a return on things I don't like.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile You might want to try this

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX28...8257068&sr=1-2

I've been watching HDTV broadcasts and HD-DVD on my 24" Dell and I am really impressed with the quality of the picture from 6 feet away since it does 1080p because it is 1920 * 1200 native. I am having the Viewsonic monitor I linked to delivered tommorrow so I can talk about it further then but at 27.5 inches viewable it has the potential to be a great PC monitor and much better than 720p TVs with HDTV broadcasts and other HD content. Do not compromise. 1080p is amazing with even broadcast 1080i. Shipped overnight tax free it is only $690.

I currently have a 37in Vizio, and its hooked up to my homebuilt computer using a 24ft
    VGA cable, its running at 1366 by 768.
    It makes such a great monitor that I RARELY use my 19in Samsung anymore.
    Why use a 19in monitor when you can use a 37in one?
    And its great for HT. The picture is great, and no problems with quality.
    Sometimes it takes a sec to switch from HD to sdtv but this is common with other sets as well.
    After watching mine a friend bought a 46in, and his wife liked it so much they got a 37in for the bedroom. Theres a reason these sell like hotcakes
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thank you for all the replies and infos.

I went ahead with the purchase. This thing isnt bad at all. I guess black can be more black, but they look great to me.

Now I just gotta go buy myself a HD antenna. I guess I'll catch some laughs, but could anyone suggest HD antenna for me to pickup this weekend? I assume everyone here with HDTV has $200 bucks a month cable/satty bill, but J can't swing like that.
    Ah forget it.

Thanks again.

Hey Pixie, did I hear you say "Cake"?

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Thank you for all the replies and infos.

I went ahead with the purchase. This thing isnt bad at all. I guess black can be more black, but they look great to me.

Now I just gotta go buy myself a HD antenna. I guess I'll catch some laughs, but could anyone suggest HD antenna for me to pickup this weekend? I assume everyone here with HDTV has $200 bucks a month cable/satty bill, but J can't swing like that.
    Ah forget it.

Thanks again.

Hey Pixie, did I hear you say "Cake"?

JRA

Go to radioshack and get one of their UHF antennas for 39 bucks, and a few sections of mast and some mounting gear. point the wide end toward the station.
    I was fifty to sixty miles away from some stations and they came in okay, but I needed
    a large mast. Any UHF antenna is good for HD BTW.
    And turn the backlight down on your set, I keep mine at 65 or so, and the other settings at 50 or so. In a darkened room you can turn the backlight down as low as you can stand,
    and your black level will improve considerably.
    DLP does the same thing with an iris in front of the projector bulb.
    A lot of the new types of display, plasma, DLP, lcd, lcos, all have black level problems .
    Nature of the beast
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information