Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Another Emotiva Thread

That's right, another one

About a year ago, I went on a mad hunt for a new AVR. I auditioned all kinds of units and ended up going with a Yamaha 2700. I never did find exactly what I was looking for but the Yammie did come kinda close.
    Thoughts on my 805 situation

I toyed with the idea of getting a amp for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on the LPA-1 about a week ago. Watching the fedx driver carry this huge 75lb box to my door was pretty funny. I stopped laughing when it was my turn to move it. This thing is HEAVY!

So I got everything hooked up (I'm using cables from bluejeanscable if anyone is wondering) and turned my Yammie on to make sure everything was working. First thought that popped in my head was....Smooth!!!

Man this thing is easy to listen to. I really wasn't expecting that. Actually, this is my first amp...I didn't know what to expect. Anyways, you can crank it pretty loud and not realize it. Very easy to listen to. 2 channel sound has a nice smooth flow to it. Depth and imaging were improved over my 2700 and the soundstage had a more open/larger feel. Now I'm a noob at all the describing what differences I hear in sound and all that other stuff so take it easy on me. I've spent ALOT of time listening to 2 channel music over the last few days and I'm really happy with the 2 channel performance of this amp. A decent improvement over my 2700.

I've done some MC listening but not much. Couple of SACD/DVDa, concert DVD and some movie demos. Nice full/robust sound with MC. I was scared that the smoothness of this amp would kill HT for me but it hasn't. Voices come in crystal clear and sound still has life to it. Very nice balance with both music and movies so far and I really haven't found anything to complain about. I need to do some more MC listening though so not to much more to say about that.

I got in on a free shipping deal so the price was $499 out the door. Add this to the price of my 2700 and I'm pretty close to what I would have paid for a 3800 or 3808. Not bad, especially when you consider the added system flexibility.

Congrats LJ. Glad to see that so many people are enjoying their new toys. Extra power is a good thing.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

you guys need to stop talking about this thing, i really don't have another $500 to spend on my stereo.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    you guys need to stop talking about this thing, i really don't have another $500 to spend on my stereo.
    I'm in the same boat. But let's be happy for them anyhow. Think of it this way. When we do get the chance to upgrade, we'll be getting the new and improved versions, while theirs will be getting old.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    That's right, another one

About a year ago, I went on a mad hunt for a new AVR. I auditioned all kinds of units and ended up going with a Yamaha 2700. I never did find exactly what I was looking for but the Yammie did come kinda close.
    Thoughts on my 805 situation

I toyed with the idea of getting a amp for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on the LPA-1 about a week ago. Watching the fedx driver carry this huge 75lb box to my door was pretty funny. I stopped laughing when it was my turn to move it. This thing is HEAVY!

So I got everything hooked up (I'm using cables from bluejeanscable if anyone is wondering) and turned my Yammie on to make sure everything was working. First thought that popped in my head was....Smooth!!!

Man this thing is easy to listen to. I really wasn't expecting that. Actually, this is my first amp...I didn't know what to expect. Anyways, you can crank it pretty loud and not realize it. Very easy to listen to. 2 channel sound has a nice smooth flow to it. Depth and imaging were improved over my 2700 and the soundstage had a more open/larger feel. Now I'm a noob at all the describing what differences I hear in sound and all that other stuff so take it easy on me. I've spent ALOT of time listening to 2 channel music over the last few days and I'm really happy with the 2 channel performance of this amp. A decent improvement over my 2700.

I've done some MC listening but not much. Couple of SACD/DVDa, concert DVD and some movie demos. Nice full/robust sound with MC. I was scared that the smoothness of this amp would kill HT for me but it hasn't. Voices come in crystal clear and sound still has life to it. Very nice balance with both music and movies so far and I really haven't found anything to complain about. I need to do some more MC listening though so not to much more to say about that.

I got in on a free shipping deal so the price was $499 out the door. Add this to the price of my 2700 and I'm pretty close to what I would have paid for a 3800 or 3808. Not bad, especially when you consider the added system flexibility.
    #A. Why has it taken you so long to lets us know this?
    #B. Why have you been so scarce 'round these parts recently? I don't like it when my friends don't talk to me.
    #C....

YOU DA MAN!!! Way ta go L.J. Enjoy the hell outta it like I am. And yes, like Kex says, pay close attention to placement. Mine is in the bottom of my audio cabinet and let me tell you, it is unmovable. One mistake I made though was in buying 5' length IC's, when I only needed 4'. These cables, which I think are the same as the ones you bought, are not very flexible and currently can be seen from their location out behind the cabinet.

And another shout out to you Kex for turning a LOT of people onto this powerhouse!

Man this thing is easy to listen to. I really wasn't expecting that. Actually, this is my first amp...I didn't know what to expect.
    Right?
    Anyways, you can crank it pretty loud and not realize it.
    At first I didn't realize it either, but now I know EXACTLY what I'm doing.

Enjoy dude. You deserve it.

Suspended
    The paint's falling offa my house dude. 'Nuf said?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    The paint's falling offa my house dude. 'Nuf said?
    LUCKILY i dont really need it, my speakers have built in subs so my receiver only has to power the tweeters and mids (although there are two tweeters and four 5 1/4 in each cabinet). so far the 3808 is not showing any signs of a struggle
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Congrats LJ. Glad to see that so many people are enjoying their new toys. Extra power is a good thing.
    GM, what's hangin' man...it's been awhile?

I was confused about the "extra power" thing (actually I'm still confused about it) and held back on getting an amp thinking it wouldn't make any difference. Not sure if it's the extra power or the "flavor" of the amp or a combination of both, but the difference is there. Very noticable at high volumes.

I've never really been completely satisfied with 2 channel performance of my 2700 and toyed with kinds of ideas before finally going with the LPA-1. Not claiming a night & day thing but I gotta say, I'm happy with the improvements.

Dude your hangin' around the wrong place

GM, what's hangin' man...it's been awhile?

I was confused about the "extra power" thing (actually I'm still confused about it) and held back on getting an amp thinking it wouldn't make any difference. Not sure if it's the extra power or the "flavor" of the amp or a combination of both, but the difference is there. Very noticable at high volumes.

I've never really been completely satisfied with 2 channel performance of my 2700 and toyed with kinds of ideas before finally going with the LPA-1. Not claiming a night & day thing but I gotta say, I'm happy with the improvements.
    Very cool. I'm thinking that it's the control and headroom that are making the difference. Seems to me that it would make the sound much more consistent, even during peak power expenditures. That could give you that smoother sound you are hearing.

I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting now. Might be the built in amps in my speakers driving the big bass. But someday I'd like to get a pre/pro. It would help if I already had an amp instead of needing to buy both together. My budget tight enough as it is.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your amp. Hope it keeps pumping out the power for many decades.

#A. Why has it taken you so long to lets us know this?
    I thought you knew. I've dropped hints in several threads

#B. Why have you been so scarce 'round these parts recently? I don't like it when my friends don't talk to me.
    I've been around, just haven't been posting much I guess.

YOU DA MAN!!! Way ta go L.J. Enjoy the hell outta it like I am. And yes, like Kex says, pay close attention to placement. Mine is in the bottom of my audio cabinet and let me tell you, it is unmovable. One mistake I made though was in buying 5' length IC's, when I only needed 4'. These cables, which I think are the same as the ones you bought, are not very flexible and currently can be seen from their location out behind the cabinet.
    Actually I went with the flexible cables. Beldon 1505a I think. I learned my lesson with their HDMI cables. Those things are freakin' stiff.

And another shout out to you Kex for turning a LOT of people onto this powerhouse!
    Yeah Kex is the man. He's been putting up with alot of questions from me lately.

At first I didn't realize it either, but now I know EXACTLY what I'm doing.
    You sure about that

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey LJ,

Glad it's working out for you. Sounds like you're closer to where you want to be performance wise - I think you've got a pretty cost-effective system there. Quality amplification, and more than capable processing from the Yammie.

I'm still very pleased with my purchase.
    I think a big reason why the LPA-1 sounds better at all volumes is because it's a better quality, better sounding amp than what you'll find in the sub $2k receiver price range. All the amp specs that matter, are better, and most importantly what you hear is better regardless of paper numbers.

I still set my speakers to small, and use a subwoofer, and while my big 120 watt/channel Yammie didn't exhibit any signs of "struggling" it just doesn't produce the same sound quality, nor does play nearly as loud, as cleanly as I can with an outboard amp.

There's always a better piece of gear out there, but in terms of what I'd care to spend on my home theater/multi-channel system the LPA-1 is the best value in an upgrade I could find over my previous use of mid-level receivers and used power amps.

Next up for me is a pre/pro, but I think Integra is the only one that has all the latest processing, and to be honest, my early demo didn't impress - it wasn't bad, just not showing me anything I'm not hearing in receivers (including a cheaper Onkyo!). Anthem, I hear has one on the way...

Dude your hangin' around the wrong place
    hahahaha so true...

Suspended

For anyone interested...

The LPA-1 is on sale for $449 through July 6.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Whatsa, Emotiva? Is that a Diva who emotes while singing?
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Whatsa, Emotiva? Is that a Diva who emotes while singing?

Enjoying the makeup sex Mr. Dome? <== GF's butt, not mine.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 06-22-2008 at 09:04 PM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Enjoying the makeup sex Mr. Dome? <== GF's butt, not mine.
    Can you tell me the difference?

Ah Richie type dude, we haven't gotten that far yet. Still Sir talkying about it, and ain't doin much. But this other chica.......damn, I wandered. I am a very bad person.....
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    So how's everyone liking their new amps?

(puts hands in pockets, scopes the water cooler from a distance, flies in... fills up his pitcher with after dinner Margarita's, flies away into the music/night... undetected)

I've spent about 5 hrs with it in the last 3 months, but it's working very nicely in my HT now...hoping that changes very shortly.

I'm very happy I purchased it.

Suspended
    Does that mean you haven't spent any time with your PS3 attached and pumped through your receiver to your amp for glorious reproduction with lottsa dB's?

My thoughts so far... when playing anything in the form of a CD, DVD, SACD from the PS3 to the receiver via HDMI LPCM, I sense a brightness within my listening/room environment. Not so wihen through my DVD changer. More *warmth*. I think I know why, but do you?

So how's everyone liking their new amps?

(puts hands in pockets, scopes the water cooler from a distance, flies in... fills up his pitcher with after dinner Margarita's, flies away into the music/night... undetected)
    I gotta say I'm pretty content with my setup. I've reached a very nice balance of being happy with 2 channel & multi-channel playback. No regrets for getting the amp. I'm very happy with it.

Does that mean you haven't spent any time with your PS3 attached and pumped through your receiver to your amp for glorious reproduction with lottsa dB's?

My thoughts so far... when playing anything in the form of a CD, DVD, SACD from the PS3 to the receiver via HDMI LPCM, I sense a brightness within my listening/room environment. Not so wihen through my DVD changer. More *warmth*. I think I know why, but do you?
    Could be the processing in the receiver or PS3, but no, can't really nail it down for sure. I haven't tested audio on the PS3 yet other than 5.1 tracks. I still have 2 speakers to hook up (sub's up and running again finally, though)

Suspended
    I think it's the processing in the PS3 also, but more than that I think it's the very low jitter transport in the PS3 compared to a more *loose* transport in my 4 - 5 y/o Panny DVD changer. I still only have two acoustic panels together and haphazardly placed in the living room so it's time to get back to my "Room Modes" issues. (Man I frickin' HATE that term!!!)

I think it's the processing in the PS3 also, but more than that I think it's the very low jitter transport in the PS3 compared to a more *loose* transport in my 4 - 5 y/o Panny DVD changer. I still only have two acoustic panels together and haphazardly placed in the living room so it's time to get back to my "Room Modes" issues. (Man I frickin' HATE that term!!!)
    I haven't hung a single panel in my new room. The drop ceiling and carpet I chose sure help though. I have the natural color burlap, but my room is a dark chocolate brown, I might order some brown burlap to coordinate. Dunno.

Been tough to find free time lately - busy few weeks for me.

Suspended
    Dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate.

My room is "Parchment" so the natural and light colors of burlap available locally coordinate well with the rest of the room. I think I'm going to buy a pre-made 2' x 2' x 2" panel from ATS acoustics for a couple of reasons, one of which is the coffee bean burlap sack they finish the custom ones in. I like that kind of stuff...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information