Thread: Sxrd Bulb

Forum Regular

Sxrd Bulb

I was at best buy today looking over the tv's and the saleman told me that the replacement bulb for the sony sxrd tv's cost between $500.00 - $600.00, Is this right ? That could add up to a lot of money if you kept the tv for many years. He said most people get the extended warranty because you get a free replacement bulb and the warranty is cheaper than a new bulb. I think i will keep my HDCRT tv untill this newer stuff comes down in price.

Quote Originally Posted by s dog
    I was at best buy today looking over the tv's and the saleman told me that the replacement bulb for the sony sxrd tv's cost between $500.00 - $600.00, Is this right ? That could add up to a lot of money if you kept the tv for many years. He said most people get the extended warranty because you get a free replacement bulb and the warranty is cheaper than a new bulb. I think i will keep my HDCRT tv untill this newer stuff comes down in price.
    I did a google on "Sony SXRD bulb prices" and came up with some interesting hits. Although none specifically for "SXRD", which I don't think is a model per se, there is a great varaiance in prices which you may want to check out.

The Sony XL5200 projection lamp for the A2000 series will set you back from $200 to $250 via the web, depending on who's selling. The XBR series will be a little more pricey, since it's a little brighter, as if anyone needed it to be, but the XBR series supplies an extra lamp on purchase.

Forum Regular

lamp

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    The Sony XL5200 projection lamp for the A2000 series will set you back from $200 to $250 via the web, depending on who's selling. The XBR series will be a little more pricey, since it's a little brighter, as if anyone needed it to be, but the XBR series supplies an extra lamp on purchase.
    Maybe the sales guys give people the higher price so they will buy the extended warranty

spf
    Canuck AV Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by s dog
    Maybe the sales guys give people the higher price so they will buy the extended warranty
    LOL, wouldn't be the first time a salesman tried to push their own agenda for the store. Even the place where I buy all my gear has tried to pimp the plasmas on me on more than one occasion until I told them to bugger off with the plasma hype and that I was buying the SXRD. Everyone needs to make a dollar I guess. Replacement lamps were quoted to me at $299 Cdn each so yeah, edtyct is right on the money. Cheers

Shane

AR Newbie Registered Member
    ISF calibration is supposed to extend bulb life on projection tv's pretty dramatically.
    Sound and Vision had a good write up a couple of months ago... I haven't seen it mentioned on this board, not sure if there are opinions about calibration here.

Calibration comes up as much here as elsewhere. But the good news is that even calibration short of ISF standards can have positive effects. A study in California showed that people who take the time to set up their displays properly (which means, among other things, turning down contrast and brightness and/or decreasing the backlighting) will reduce their general energy costs.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Calibration comes up as much here as elsewhere. But the good news is that even calibration short of ISF standards can have positive effects. A study in California showed that people who take the time to set up their displays properly (which means, among other things, turning down contrast and brightness and/or decreasing the backlighting) will reduce their general energy costs.
    Would you happen to have a link for that study? I've googled and not come up with anything....

Not surprising, since the study is still in preliminary stages. The California Energy Commission is developing a test for energy use, based on the assumption that TV's are a major household drain on electricity. A company called Ecos has the contract to do the study and develop the materials. You can read about it in Widescreen Review, in a column entitled "One Installer's Opinion," 58-59. If you're a subscriber, you can read it online.

Forgive me. I forgot to mention that the article is in the March 2007 issue.
    Last edited by edtyct; 04-30-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Okay, thanks

Thread Information