Forum Regular

SVS Ultra/2 DEAD in 3 hours

Man, got my new SVS PB12-Ultra/2 on Wednesday. Got it set up kinda late. Got to run a few quick test DVD's. Then had to go to bed. Get home Thursday, ready to get down to
    business. Put in a DVD and wait.... What? Is that the famous bass that is so low you
    can't hear it.... NO, it's no bass at all. Nothing. Dead. Double checked cables, receiver
    settings, hooked up old sub, all ok. Man I am bummed. Waiting for a call from tech support right now.

Ok, on the plus side. This sub is beautiful. The fit and finish are spectacular. Furniture
    grade for sure. It's as big as a small couch though. What I did get to hear was impressive.
    Definately different than what I have been used to.

I'll keep everyone informed how this one plays out.....
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swgiust
    Man, got my new SVS PB12-Ultra/2 on Wednesday. Got it set up kinda late. Got to run a few quick test DVD's. Then had to go to bed. Get home Thursday, ready to get down to
    business. Put in a DVD and wait.... What? Is that the famous bass that is so low you
    can't hear it.... NO, it's no bass at all. Nothing. Dead. Double checked cables, receiver
    settings, hooked up old sub, all ok. Man I am bummed. Waiting for a call from tech support right now.

Ok, on the plus side. This sub is beautiful. The fit and finish are spectacular. Furniture
    grade for sure. It's as big as a small couch though. What I did get to hear was impressive.

Dont hear that happen very often. They will take car of it.
    Look & Listen

Unhappy Oh my word....

There's NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I hare more than electronic equipment that doesn't work right out the box. DOA's are a deal breaker for me with a particular company unless they really go overboard and make it right....

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    No sound at all?

That happened to me...turns out I didn't plug the power cable into the bottom of the sub...

Man, that's a bummer, and rare for any sub. Not much that can go wrong. Wonder if a lead is just not quite connected or something?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    There's NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I hare more than electronic equipment that doesn't work right out the box. DOA's are a deal breaker for me with a particular company unless they really go overboard and make it right....

Da Worfster
    He doesn't have anything to worry about. Ron and Tom will fix him up quickly, I understand their customer service is the bomb.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    wow, spending that kind of money on a sub and the darn thing is doa! hopefully everything we hear about their customer service is true. let us know if they do anything special for you.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Sounds like a breaker, or fuse.

Especially if it was working the night before. If something fried you would have known it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

got it fixed

Got my new amp in today and got it installed. Sub is now working. Looks like the
    black lead had fallen off.

SVS was good about getting the amp out. The install was much more of a project
    than I expected. Knowing what I know now, I should of sent the unit back. To many
    chances to screw something up.

I'll try and sit down tonight and get the eq all dialed in.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Got my new amp in today and got it installed. Sub is now working. Looks like the
    black lead had fallen off.

SVS was good about getting the amp out. The install was much more of a project
    than I expected. Knowing what I know now, I should of sent the unit back. To many
    chances to screw something up.

I'll try and sit down tonight and get the eq all dialed in.
    Glad to year things are up and running?

Curious, what were some of the difficulties in swapping amps? Torx screws? Tight seal? Subs are generally pretty straight forward, and difficult to damage anything. Unless you poke a screwdriver through a woofer. I assume the woofer used spring clips.

You should have snapped us some pics of the inside of that baby!

If it was just a loose black lead, does that mean the original amp is fine? Did they let you keep it?

Forum Regular

replacing amp

The first problem is that this sub is huge. It weighs in at 190lbs. Anything that
    has to do with moving it is a project. The wires from the amp are not long enough that
    you can simply pull the amp and replace. You have to turn the sub completley over,remove the base plate (6 screws) then remove about 10 screws to one of the woofers, tip the sub on it's side and remove that woofer, turn it back upside down, remove the other 10 screws and woofer. Then you can replace the amp. The whole thing then gets done in reverse. The wires are just barely long enough to get everything back together. Also the woofers are HEAVY. You don't just move them around. I don't want to sound like a wimp,
    this wasn't a project I couldn't handle, it's just an awful lot on a brand new $2k sub.

Possible problems: you could damage a woofer, you could connect + to - or worse.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

What was your impressions of the quality and workmanship of stuff most of us wont see?
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Inside quality

Not having anything to compare to, I'd say overall quality was good. The box was internally braced, as well as the long port tubes. The wire from the speakers to the amp
    was of very heavy guage. The box was insulated. If this was a box you were going to stand on every day, it probably wouldn't last forever, but for a sub, it should. The base
    plate was bolted to the box, while the woofers were just wood screwed into the bottom
    of the box. Again, 10 wood screws into 1" mdf, shouldn't go anywhere.

My real impression will be when I get to really hear this beast. I haven't had time to
    really play it at all. I will be going home early today, and do the eq thing. One thing I did
    notice right away, I have lots of things in my room that vibrate or rattle. Fixing that will
    take longer than tuning the sub.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

That sounds much like any other sub out there. 1" MDF is a good choice, especially with more than one woofer. I just built my 15" sub with some of that. Less cabinet resonance issues, but heavy as hell.
    Short cable leads is good...you don't want them loose and potentially causing lead slap as the inside of a sub can become quite turbulent. Bracing is good too.
    What did they use for fill, basic polyfill?

You'd be surprised how tough cabinets are...I made my bookshelfs with 3/4" mdf and they'll support my weight indefinitely. A big sub like that has a lot of force at the baffle and needs to be structurally sound.

Since you're a pro at this now, you shouldn't have any problem building your own sub next time around

Forum Regular
    Well, how does the Ultra sound?

Forum Regular

Ultra 2 sound

I intend to do a more complete "review" of the PB12-Ultra/2 once I have heard it somemore. I really have only watched one movie, National Treasure since I got it. Of course I have run a buch on demos, Ice Age, Das Boot, Day after Tomorrow, ect.
    To early to tell. The longer I have listened the happier I become. I don't know if break in
    is a huge factor, but it seems to sound better everyday. The sub does things that I just have not heard in any other theater Iv'e been in. There is deep bass in a lot of movies that
    many people are just not hearing or fealing. Run your system with the sub off, then turn
    it on, that's the kind of difference I am getting. One nice supprise was the better sound
    from the rest of my system. I was getting so much mid bass, that it muddied the higher
    end. My speakers are much crisper and cleaner than I have ever heard them. I have set
    the eq to my own settings, but I am also going to e-mail SVS and see where they say to
    set it.

For those in the market I can make the following sugestions, look at the Plus2 as well.
    In the wood grains, it is the exact same cabinet, and the exact same amp. Only the
    drivers are different. For a savings of about $ 800.00.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Forum Regular
    I sense your not happy with it. I was curious to hear from somebody who actually had one since my neighbor is ready to buy a plus/2 and I had told him about the ultra for consideration.

Doesn't SVS have a 30 day return policy? Maybe you should try another Ultra.

Phil

I think quite afew buy one step up to many an SVS,they will blow your doors off. I have a pretty good size room thats opens to others and my 20-39pci is plenty.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Phil, you are not totally wrong. Overall I must say that I am happy with my purchase.
    The issue with the amp certainly has soured me a little bit. I think the main issue is
    the bass is different than I'm used to. Is it better?, well I think so. What is it really supposed to sound like? That's the hard part.

Part of my problem, I think, is that the Infinity towers that I have really do produce a good
    sounding bass. Sure it didn't go into the low 20's, but with the RABOS eq I was able
    to get a very flat response. I guess my point is that I do hear improvement in my lower
    bass. I hear things that I have never heard before. But the improvement was not huge.
    It was good, just not a 3 to a 10. More like a 7 to a 10. Get it?

I sent in my sound level readings to SVS and they did get right back to me. They suggested the settings for the eq and some movement in the sub. I have a dip at
    45hz. and a peak at 66hz.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress and I will try to keep all informed.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Forum Regular
    Phil, you are not totally wrong. Overall I must say that I am happy with my purchase.
    The issue with the amp certainly has soured me a little bit. I think the main issue is
    the bass is different than I'm used to. Is it better?, well I think so. What is it really supposed to sound like? That's the hard part.

Part of my problem, I think, is that the Infinity towers that I have really do produce a good
    sounding bass. Sure it didn't go into the low 20's, but with the RABOS eq I was able
    to get a very flat response. I guess my point is that I do hear improvement in my lower
    bass. I hear things that I have never heard before. But the improvement was not huge.
    It was good, just not a 3 to a 10. More like a 7 to a 10. Get it?

I sent in my sound level readings to SVS and they did get right back to me. They suggested the settings for the eq and some movement in the sub. I have a dip at
    45hz. and a peak at 66hz.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress and I will try to keep all informed.
    Its all relative depending on where you start and what you have as equipment. For me it was a quantum leap since I had a single 12" Klipsch sub. I never really tried to max out the woofers on my Bose 701 Series II towers (they also have a built in amp for low frequency), but they seemed potent. I had bought the sub before I bought the towers. So I never really tested my towers for low frequency. Maybe I would of felt the same as you if I did.

On another subject I bought the BFD and I did not know that SVS can help you with sub equalization. SVS sent me an email recommending the BFD for my plus/2 since I did not buy it with an eq originally. See Tom V.s quote below. Actually they sort of thought buying an after market eq was a better way to go then the factory EQ. You had more filters actually 12 bands per channel than the one band the factory eq has. But I understand that you usually don't need more than 7 bands for a sub. I am in the process of learning how to tune my sub. Trial and error. I will let you know how the BFD works out and if it actually improves my HT sound. I don't expect it to be a quantum leap.

SVS Tom V. "Actually, by adding on a separate parametric you can gain a lot more flexibility than the single band unit built into some of our designs. The RANE PE17 is a very nice EQ. 5 bands, but a little pricy. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer has 24 bands(!) and you can usually find it for $99-119 though. That would be a GREAT add on unit. "

Forum Regular

Found part of the problem

Sent in my sound level meter readings to svs today. Interesting thing came of it.
    Once the numbers are corrected, I have almost a 15db drop at 45hz. Thats where
    alot of mid bass stuff is going on. I am going to try moving my sub tonight.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Thread Information