Thread: 3.1 setup

AR Newbie Registered Member

3.1 setup

Hello there! I'm looking for some input since there are so many speakers in the world! I live in Taiwan and here many speakers aren't available for preview because stores typically don't have an extensive collection

I want to build a 3.1 system, AV receiver must support:
    - a second subwoofer (to buy later)
    - Atmos (but don't need Atmos speakers now)

I'll play all my media through my laptop (HDMI). I plan to use the set for the next 10 years. I'm new to this and I've been doing research for 3 months now.

What I'll do with it: 80% music, 20% movies. I love to FEEL bass in movies, I prefer to have flat music. Music: pop music, k-pop, city pop, edm, vapor wave, anime soundtracks, funky music, jazz, instrumental.

I have a small/medium size room (4.5m x 4.5m x ceiling 2.5 meters = 15' x 15' x 8'4" ceiling). Ceiling is not solid but styrofoam (?) - what I mean is it's made of individual 50 cm x 50 cm squares that you can lift up, like in an office.

Budget is ~$3000 USD but I'm looking for value vs. competing speakers rather than using all my money. Also I live in Taiwan, so I often will have to pay +33% extra (shipping + import tax) from the amazon price so budget may actually be ~ $2000 And many speakers won't ship to here so I also need as many alternatives as I can get.

I have some ideas but since I'm new I'll just ask you: What would you get?
    Last edited by IceCream; 09-28-2018 at 11:16 AM.

First off you can't get Atmos from a 3.1 setup, so you need to think more along the line of 5.1 or 7.1 then add the Atmos height or ceiling speakers.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information