Forum Regular

adjusting speaker level without original remote

I want to up the level on my rear surrounds in my setup, but the original remote for my Yamaha htr 5450 died about a year ago. I now use a kamelean 8 in 1. It has a pretty good code bank, but I can't seem to adjust the level of the rear speakers. The way I did it with the original remote was press a "tone" button, which would produce a tone in each speaker an you could then adjust the speaker's relative level. Last time I checked, it was some silly price to replace the remote, like $70 or something, and it was a crappy remote anyway. Any suggestions or am I just stuck?

Have you checked the owner's manual for front panel equivalent functions? Most of the remote functions on Yamaha receivers can be replicated using a combination of buttons on the front panel. A function as basic as changing the levels on speakers should have something available.

With the test tone, you're better off using a test DVD such as the Digital Video Essentials, or S&V Home Theater Setup discs, because those test tones use a narrower band that eliminates the lower frequencies (which can cause erroneous readings because of how room interactions affect levels on the bass frequencies). The built-in test tone generator on Yamaha's receivers use a wideband test tone.

Forum Regular
    I have avia, and that's what I'd like to do, but this seems to be the only way to adjust the speaker level, and since I have no way to press "tone", it doesn't seem like I can adjust it.

Perhaps you can try to find the matching remote for cheap on Ebay.

Thread Information