Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar

Sunfire receiver vs Marantz...etc

Any thoughts on the Sunfire ultimate receiver II vs the top Marantz or Denon models. I personally would lean towards sound quality vs features. I read a review linked off the sunfire sight that said the Ultimate Receiver sounded pretty damn close to separates. But, then again it was a link from Sunfire, so of course it was favorable. Anyway, just looking for some opinions.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Cool

How many speakers do you plan to use and what kind are they?

I want to buy the Sunfire 400 x 5 amp to mate with my Denon 3805. I think the amp sounds very complimentary to the horn design for a digital amp and its low profile and heat output are more suitable for my family room\home theater.

The 3805 has some incredibly low distortion levels and filled with features and that is why I bought it. My budget was blown on window treatments and so, the Sunfire amp will have to wait.

I have to say, I have been very impressed with the 3805. The longer I wait, the harder it gets for me to justify the added expense of US$3500.00

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    How many speakers do you plan to use and what kind are they?

I want to buy the Sunfire 400 x 5 amp to mate with my Denon 3805. I think the amp sounds very complimentary to the horn design for a digital amp and its low profile and heat output are more suitable for my family room\home theater.

The 3805 has some incredibly low distortion levels and filled with features and that is why I bought it. My budget was blown on window treatments and so, the Sunfire amp will have to wait.

I have to say, I have been very impressed with the 3805. The longer I wait, the harder it gets for me to justify the added expense of US$3500.00
    I'm actually undeceided on speakers right now. Most likely a 5.1 setup though. I've got my heart set on one of those sunfire jr true subwoofers.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Any thoughts on the Sunfire ultimate receiver II vs the top Marantz or Denon models. I personally would lean towards sound quality vs features. I read a review linked off the sunfire sight that said the Ultimate Receiver sounded pretty damn close to separates. But, then again it was a link from Sunfire, so of course it was favorable. Anyway, just looking for some opinions.

Look at what Marantz is saying about their new flagship reciever. They even claim to be better than seperates.

"The SR9600 is simply the best surround receiver we offer. It surpasses the performance levels of even separate components in both sheer brawn and subtle sophistication. THX Ultra2 certification – and power output of 140 watts RMS from each of its seven current-feedback amplifiers – means the SR9600 will recreate the sonic impact of dynamic movie soundtracks in the largest rooms. Intelligent cooling assures long term stability even under demanding conditions. Analog preamp circuitry features wideband HDAM-SA2 modules. The oversized power supply include a toroidal transformer and Marantz-designed storage capacitors for quick response to rapidly varying sources. Dual 32-bit microprocessors handle surround decoding and 9-band parametric M.R.A.C. adjustments with outstanding speed and accuracy. Two AM/FM tuners let you listen to different stations in different areas of your home. Connectivity includes IEEE 1394 and a Marantz-optimized version of HDMI for accurate data transfer and software upgrade capability. The high definition display makes control and adjustment easy. Dolby Headphone produces a private, natural, non-fatiguing surround experience. An RS-232 port and 4 programmable 12 volt “triggers” let the SR9600 function in virtually any custom-designed home theater

But also keep in mind that Marantz has a whole nother line of gear that no one even talks about...its called the "Marantz Reference Line" and is very much high end user stuff. So if this line does not do it for you, look at their high end stuff.

frenchmon

Thread Information