AR Newbie Registered Member

Subwoofer No Sound with Onkyo TX-SR875

Hi All,

I have the Polk Audio PSW125 subwoofer, and an Onkyo TX-SR875 as my receiver. I connected the sub with a LFE cable to the AV, but no sound is coming out from it.

At first i thought it is either the cable problem or the subwoofer problem, so I went to buy a second receiver(Yamaha) just to test. And sound did come out; this means the cable AND the sub works.

So my next assumption is the ONKYO receiver is the problem. So, i went to exchange for a new one ONKYO. Pluged in the sub and still NO sound.

Any suggestion? Is there something that i have to setup on the Onkyo? I made sure the 'subwoofer' setting is set to "YES" but still does not work.

Please help!

Thank you!
    Joe

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joesmithf1
    Hi All,

I have the Polk Audio PSW125 subwoofer, and an Onkyo TX-SR875 as my receiver. I connected the sub with a LFE cable to the AV, but no sound is coming out from it.

At first i thought it is either the cable problem or the subwoofer problem, so I went to buy a second receiver(Yamaha) just to test. And sound did come out; this means the cable AND the sub works.

So my next assumption is the ONKYO receiver is the problem. So, i went to exchange for a new one ONKYO. Pluged in the sub and still NO sound.

Any suggestion? Is there something that i have to setup on the Onkyo? I made sure the 'subwoofer' setting is set to "YES" but still does not work.

Please help!

Thank you!
    Joe

Hi Joe,
    Did you run the Audessey speaker setup and got no test tone from the subwoofer? I'm just asking because not all of the listening modes give a subwoofer output.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Read the manuals for the sub and the receiver, both of them.

On the sub, use the R/LFE RCA input with a single RCA cable from the Sub output (pre out) on the Receiver.

..........set the volume to about 10-11 o'clock.

..........set the low pass dial all the way clockwise to the right (LFE).

On the receiver, make sure you are using the correct RCA sub jack (there are two of them). Use the sub output in the "pre out" section and not the "multi channel" section (this might be your mistake since the mutli channel is an input and not an output).

..........make sure the sub is set to ON in the advanced speaker level calibration section. Turn all speakers to "small" or set them all to 80Hz unless you have very small bookshelf or satellite speakers. Do not set any speakers to large or full band. It would help if you list all your speakers.

..........set the sub volume during the test tone sequence in the manual/advanced speaker setup procedure.

..........If you are using only the left and right speakers in a stereo/sub 2.1 setup, some receivers will not output to the sub unless you have the settings correct. Be sure to set the speakers to "main/sub" or "main and sub" in the stereo multiplex section of the manual.

Hope this might help.

RR6

Yep, access your setup via the OSD and check your speaker config. Make sure that sub has been designated. Also check the subwoofer level while you're there. Obviously, even if your receiver loudness and EQ levels for the sub is set to -12, you should still get a perceptible vibration, but worth checking anyway. Then check the back up the receiver to make sure that you've tapped the correct sub connection. If after going through that checklist you're still not able to hear any bottom when you play a CD/DVD, then it's the AVR. Repackage and return for exchange.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Welp...

Guess he solved his problem.... I hope...

Da Worfster

Little help on my 875

Hi guys, not to hi-jack his thread, but he seems to not be using it anymore anyway- I have a similar problem with my 875 that I just bought - the FL & FR speaker level outputs won't work! I tried all of the menu options that I know of and can not get anything to come out of them. My center and surrounds work fine (I currently only have speakers for a 5.1 setup). I did a little further trouble shooting using the front right channel as my tester - I put the unit into bridged mode and still nothing for the RF channel after switching the wires correctly, so then I gave the Bi-Amp mode a shot and the Right rear surriound output that switches over to power the right front woofer started powering the speaker fine, however, when I'd switch the test speaker from this output to the standard front right output (that should be producing the sound for the tweeter in a speaker set up for bi-amping) I still couldn't get anything out of the output. So am I correct in thinking that I have two blown channels (FR and FL)? The speaker I was using as a test certainly wasn't anything special at all, just a little kenwood 8 ohm, 100 watt peak surround speaker. Any help/ideas would certainly be appreciated! If it really is shot, I'm going to have to ship the damn thing back to California.....

David

Just wish to thank ROADRUNNER for your suggestions. I own the Onkyo TX-SR806 and have searched high and low for the answer re: playing music with a subwoofer. What worked for me was:

"..........If you are using only the left and right speakers in a stereo/sub 2.1 setup, some receivers will not output to the sub unless you have the settings correct. Be sure to set the speakers to "main/sub" or "main and sub" in the stereo multiplex section of the manual."

Thanks again.

Case Closed

Figured my problem out. Basically DON'T SHIP THESE RECIEVERS UPS/FED-EX! They DON'T travel well. The people I bought the 875 from ended up having it shipped back to the refurb location in DENVER, CO..... After a month of waiting, they finally shipped the unit back to me, supposedly in tip top shape. Guess what? When I got it, the FR and sub channel were working, but the FL channel was still dead! I was SO mad! (and this thing was being shipped back and forth in it's original packaging and THEN packed in packing peanuts in another, larger box!) I ended up saying to hell with it and sent it back to the orignal owners meanwhile picking up a NEW 876 from a user with good feed back on Ebay. Got the new unit and guess what??? IT WOULDN'T COME OUT OF HEADPHONE MODE! I was pulling my hair out at this point! THIS time I talked to the owner, found a local, authorized repair place and took it in. For $100 (which the gentleman I bought the unit from covered the cost of, much credit to his character) I got a new power board installed that had apparently cracked during shipping and the thing has worked great ever since. As I said, the lesson here as that Onkyo's (and probably any other higher end, heavy receiver) DOES NOT TRAVEL WELL by UPS/FED EX.

From what dealer did you buy the unit? Was it authorized to sell refurbs?

http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the only one may be Accessories4less. I've bought refurbs from them with no issues.

Unless, of course, any authorized dealer is allowed to sell refurbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6 View Post
    Read the manuals for the sub and the receiver, both of them.

On the sub, use the R/LFE RCA input with a single RCA cable from the Sub output (pre out) on the Receiver.

..........set the volume to about 10-11 o'clock.

..........set the low pass dial all the way clockwise to the right (LFE).

On the receiver, make sure you are using the correct RCA sub jack (there are two of them). Use the sub output in the "pre out" section and not the "multi channel" section (this might be your mistake since the mutli channel is an input and not an output).

..........make sure the sub is set to ON in the advanced speaker level calibration section. Turn all speakers to "small" or set them all to 80Hz unless you have very small bookshelf or satellite speakers. Do not set any speakers to large or full band. It would help if you list all your speakers.

..........set the sub volume during the test tone sequence in the manual/advanced speaker setup procedure.

..........If you are using only the left and right speakers in a stereo/sub 2.1 setup, some receivers will not output to the sub unless you have the settings correct. Be sure to set the speakers to "main/sub" or "main and sub" in the stereo multiplex section of the manual.

Hope this might help.

RR6
    Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but holy crap you just saved my sanity. I couldn't get my sub to output when playing music while it would when playing shows and movies from the same source (Apple TV 4). The issue was I had set my front speakers to large (they are but they can't hit 20Hz) and NOT small at some point in the recent year. Setting it back to small completely solved the problem and started outputting all low freq audio (crossover set to 120HZ) to the sub again. Huzzah!

No where else on the internet was this solution. You helped me today by posting this 8 years ago.

Bravo Sir.

Thread Information