Forum Regular

Question Sub Placement Question: Side cavity? Ceiling?

Hi:

I am finishing my basement and am setting up my HT. I have a Polk KSW 12 sub that the wife does not want sitting in plain view of the room.
    I have a couple of options and would like to get your thoughts.

Option 1: Cut a hole in the side wall and create enclosure for the sub. It would be at floor level near the front and I would use plywood and then drywall to finish/seal the cavity. Only one side of the sub would be visible in the room and I could even cover that with an HVAC vent. I have read that the issues here can be the size of the cavity (has to be big enough for the back cone) and problems with "leakage". (only part of the bass gets into the HT room, the rest escapes into the space outside the cavity -- in this case my workroom)

Option 2 (Feel free to tell me I am an ass for thinking of this): Place the sub in the ceiling. Currently, the room is framed with "trays", that is the ceiling is lower on the sides than it is in the center (to leave room for HVAC). I have found a spot where I can fit in the ceiling (It would go in one of the lower sections of the ceiling or "trays"). The sub is downfiring and I would cut a hole in the drywall and place a screen there. I know I can secure it tightly so that it doesn't rattle around. I am a little concerned about the back cone -- it would be enclosed. Am I moron for thinking about it this way?

ANy help much appreciated. I am a noob and have thick skin.

SHane

Forum Regular

If you are talking about installing a raw cone woofer

This question has been asked before in different ways. The answer is the same: Do your research and learn the basics of building a woofer or subwoofer enclosure. Start by learning what kind of enclosure your specific cone is designed for. If you put a cone intended for use in a vented enclosure into a sealed enclosure, neither the cone nor you will ultimately be happy.

Since you are modifying your house, you are going to spend some noticable time and money and you will be very unhappy if the results are poor.

Maybe your wife should reconsider her position rather than put you to a lot of extra work and agravation. Reasonable compromise is best in these situations. I have Velodyne Servo-15 in light oak which matches the doors, doorways, and other oak trim in the house.

Besides, the best way to position a sub is to move it around a room until you find the smoothest response. The corners are often, but not always, best. How would you move your sub around your room - cut holes all over the place?

Smile Sub location.

As far as sub location goes, you will not have too many choices due to interaction between room and lower frequency. The place you find sub best suited (in the cavity or ceiling) might not necessary be the best location for the sub

The best you can do it is to place the sub where you be sitting, play a song with a constant bass notes (turn off your main speakers), and crawl on the floor nearby your front speaker and listen for the bass response from the sub. Bass notes should be distinct and not boomy when you find a suitable place. And then place the sub there or close to its vicinity.

Forum Regular

Thanks

Good stuff --

You're right on the research. I have been looking into it. Unfortunately, some of the stuff gets a tad complicated for me. I will likely follow your advice and keep the sub out where I can move it.

Thanks for the help.

Shane

Thread Information