Forum Regular

Help Please> HDMI? Receiver?

Trying to make up my mind on the direction I want to go regarding setting up my HT.
    I am not sure of the difference between HDMI switching and HDMI repeating. Which is better? (I have an HD Sony LCD 1080p).

I want to go with a receiver at this point. Should I stay with a lower cost model until I know more about what I am doing or spend a little more.

Since I have been an audio enthusiast for years and have some pretty good audio equip I was thinking about going with Marantz but someone told me that I will have to run cords for my audio because these receivers are only HDMI 1.3 switching compliant and not repeating (thus the video signal only is passed via HDML cable???). Is that correct? Does this mean that the hook up will require many more cables behind my cabinet. I am planning on a DVD and cable box. Not much else except maybe adding some audio componenets for stereo sound.

I want to keep cord clutter to a minimum.

Near as I can tell the only receiver that people seem to be recommending are the Onkyo brand (605-705 and 805). What other receivers should I consider.

Emotiva is selling their receiver at a greatly reduced price but it is only HDMI switched with an external device near as I can tell. It is supposed to be great for sound quality however but is more than I was planning on spending. HELP!

What's your budget?

What AVR/DVD player are you currently using?

Do you have any future plans to get into Bluray?

Forum Regular
    I was planning on about $550-600 for a receiver. Currently using a stereo setup with an HK stereo receiver. (I also have a McIntosh 6100A) but no AV stuff.

I have a Toshiba HD-DVD. Medium to small room. Vintage McIntosh speakers, Axiom Towers, and others available. Comcast HDMI cable box.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    What's your budget?

What AVR/DVD player are you currently using?

Do you have any future plans to get into Bluray?

Suspended
    If you get a receiver that is HDMI 1.3 compatible and will decode the newer HD audio signals you should be fine. The easiest way would probably be to run your cable box and HD player to the receiver and then HDMI out to TV.

It's the HD audio that gets confusing, you can receive the uncompressed HD signals either via multichannel analog outs, it is passed via HDMI in PCM or supposedly the 1.3 HDMI and newer units will do bitstream but I'm not sure if that will work with current movies. Dolby's website talks about an authorization that has to be encoded on the disc to allow the bitstream to pass and I haven't been able to find information on how these new receivers and players deal with this.

I don't understand what you were told about the Marantz. I know some low end receivers will pass HDMI video but not audio, some will convert analog to HDMI and pass it, some won't, you have to look at the features to see what it will do. I think if you get a receiver in the budget you mentioned that is 1.3 compliant you should be alright, or just ask here before buying. LJ will set you straight.

Forum Regular
    Just curious - when would you want to pass audio through the receiver to the TV? I can understand passing video through the receiver to the TV but why audio?

Suspended
    Normally you wouldn't but HDMI carries both audio and video. I wish I could remember the model, I did see one piece that allowed the HDMI to flow through without the receiver being on which would be great for viewing TV or movies where you didn't want to use the receiver.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at HK347, Onkyo 605 and 705, Marantz SR5002 and SR4002. I am trying to avoid sync problems with the video (which someone led me to believe is rectified by the HDMI repeating). Would like a nice warm audio feed for my speakers however with music CD's.

Also looked at the Emotiva deal. Not sure whether to get a cheaper 605 or bite the bullet and pay more for more bells and whistles? This is all compounded by the fact that I don't know ANYTHING about this stuff. Back in the day I knew my stereo equipment and knew what I liked. (McIntosh).

Try to do as much research as possible. AVS is so crowded with posts, but you can get a feel for the products there since so many owners contribute to the threads.

You should definitely try to audition at home on your setup. It's a hassle but really the only way to know if it's the right unit for you.

Suspended
    I hope you plan to keep your Mac, you won't find any receiver that will compare for music playback. But, if you are wanting to find it a new home let me know.

Forum Regular
    Ha-ha. My McIntoshes (amp and speakers) are my babies. I will be buried with them. Speakers are not considered by many to be so hot these days but they were the first real high quality equip I ever got. MA6100 and XR5's.

I subscribes to AVS this afternoon. There is a lot of info on there. Just starting to wade through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I hope you plan to keep your Mac, you won't find any receiver that will compare for music playback. But, if you are wanting to find it a new home let me know.

Thread Information