Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Velodyne CT-100 - USED $135

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my HT and wondering how the Velodyne CT-100 stacks up to more modern subwoofers. I found one for $135 used. My room is 24x17x9. The rest of my system is blend of new front-end; Panasonic TC-P50X1, Denon AVR-590, Panasonic DB65K, and vintage speakers; JSE Infinite Slope 1, Signet SL260 surrounds and centre channel and Power Wedge 113 line conditioner.

My budget is around $300 but would the used Velodyne kick anything new on the market in my budget? I mostly use this system for 80% TV viewing, so musical content isn't a strong consideration. I live in a house don't listen at loud levels. Also being a SW noob I'm unsure where to place the sub. Typically would it be better behind the display or in a corner behind the listener position? Thanks in advance.

I have a Velodyne CHT-8 for HT use and its a good little sub. Tight room shaking bass. My room is 17x17x10'. I'm not sure how the CT series compares. Mine sold for about $300 over 10 years ago.

These would be a nice alternative-

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/...105b1c6904483b

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VEIM
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I have an older model F1000B Velodyne sub that i had paired with my Martin Logan Ascent electrostats in my stereo/HT setup in m bedroom. The center channel is a B&W HTM, which is powered by a Marantz MA100 mono amp. The MLs were being run off of a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX (which recently died; I plan to replace it with a VSX84TXi, that will be used as a pre/pro with 2 Adcom 555s running in bridged mode). My problem is the Velodyne. Recently, it started making unusual noises, when it had always been quite musical. I think that the sub's driver may be blown, but I am not sure. Do you think it would be worth it to buy a new 10"driver and replace the one that is in the box, leaving other equipment as is inside the subwoofer? Or is it more likely something has gone wrong with the sub's internal amp? If I was going to replace the whole sub, what would you recommend. I don't want to spend a fortune on a sub. I like to listen to music with the MLs but movies are often the entertainment of the evening. Thanks for your input and replies.

Cool

I too have a VELO, cht 8 I beleive.
    Great sub, can't go wrong there
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information