Thread: sub? continued

Forum Regular

sub? continued

I posted a ? about a sub upgrade a few days back ,btw thanks for all the repleys,I have paradigm ps 1000 ,i was going to get a better sub or try running two, some one suggested i get a sound meter and do some testing 1st before i do anything. That sounded good to me so i got a sound meter,now hear is what im going to do , i am going to set the volume on my denon 4800 receiver at -18 and the sub gain level at +4 that is my normal listening level, on the sub it self i will have the volume at about half and the cross over at 80 , i got 10 feet of extra sub cable so i can move the sub around my listening area, im going to use u571 movie for a test disc,now what do i do, move the sub around till i find the loudest out put at the same volume level and leave it there, or are there other things to look for like where it dont rattle windows and things like that , thank you for your time

F1
    A good subwoofer setting does not calls attention to itself (overpowering) but you feel missing the lowest note when you tun it off. Probably you should adjust the subwoofer level with music that has continuous and decent amount of bass instead of using U571. Or since you have SPL meter, you may use test tones and adjust the level such that your main speakers yield the same SPL as your subwoofer. As for subwoofer placement, if you don't mind crawling around, place your subwoofer at your listening position. Next, crawl around the room while playing music with decent bass. The location where you find the bass most satisfying is the best location for the sub. Good luck.

Forum Regular

back corner

Quote Originally Posted by F1
    A good subwoofer setting does not calls attention to itself (overpowering) but you feel missing the lowest note when you tun it off. Probably you should adjust the subwoofer level with music that has continuous and decent amount of bass instead of using U571. Or since you have SPL meter, you may use test tones and adjust the level such that your main speakers yield the same SPL as your subwoofer. As for subwoofer placement, if you don't mind crawling around, place your subwoofer at your listening position. Next, crawl around the room while playing music with decent bass. The location where you find the bass most satisfying is the best location for the sub. Good luck.
    I did what you said and two my surprise the best place i found was in the back right corner of my listening room, hell you cant even see the thing where i have it now,This weekend i will try the sound meter out and adjust the sub level , thanks for the help

Thread Information