AR Newbie Registered Member

Starting from scratch.

Hey all
    I recently picked up x2 rear speakers and a centre speaker from a mate, I know very little about speakers or how to set them up.
    So I am taking on board all advice

Centre speaker sepcifications:
    Power handling: 140 Watt.
    Frequency response 65Hz-22Khz.
    Sensitivity(+/-3DB): 88db
    Nominal impedance: 4 Ohm
    Driver complement: 2 way, 3 driver
    Woofer: Two 4" (100mm) midwoofer PPC.
    Tweeter: 1x3/4" silk SCOS dome
    Crossover frequency: 2700Hz
    Dimensions(HxWxD): 48x17x14.5 Cm
    Weight: 3.7 Kg

Rear speaker Specifications: (x2)
    Power handling: 140 Watt.
    Frequency response 65Hz-22Khz.
    Sensitivity(+/-3DB): 89db
    Nominal impedance: 4 Ohm
    Driver complement: 2 way, 2 driver
    Woofer: One 4" (100mm) midwoofer PPC.
    Tweeter: 1x3/4" silk SCOS dome
    Crossover frequency: 3500Hz
    Dimensions(HxWxD): 14.5x17x24 Cm
    Weight: 2 Kg

On the back there is just an input plug +/- thing..

So my question really is (and I am sorry it's so broad) is what exactly will I need in order to get these things going? some sort of receiver and speaker cables? I really don't know what I'm doing.. I just wanted some surround sound for my new plasma.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

P.s. Are these speakers any good? I payed $300 (AU) for the lot. thats $283.52 (US)

EDIT: My TV has a digital (optical) audio output. So yeah, anymore information I can provide I will, I know my knowledge is limited but even if someone can throw me a link to some sort of beginners guide to setting up? I have to start somewhere.. everyone does
    Last edited by sammyo; 04-29-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Suspended
    Hi sammyo. Sorry you haven't received any response. I'll try to do what I can to help. First step would be to reveal the brand and model of the speakers you have. Do some research to see if the model has mains to match your center and rears, chances are it does. Depending on whether you want to use a subwoofer you may want mains with more low-end such as towers using the same tweeter as the center and rears.

Your receiver will depend on your speaker efficiency, the size of the room and your budget. Larger rooms will require more power or more efficient speakers to fill it. There are a lot of good receivers in the $250-$500 range. You will also want to consider if you need HDMI for you TV/display. This will limit your choices and will drive the price up a bit. What are your expectations? What do you want to accomplish? What's your budget? Don't be afraid to ask questions? We all started in similar situations.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the reply Bfalls. Firstly the brand is a German designed company called ‘Flash’; the speakers are part of a ‘3100 series’. I can’t really find any information on them; they are brand new studio speakers. I will upload a picture of them.

Secondly the speakers I have got do have mains to match them, but I couldn’t afford them this week, and I won’t be getting the mains for as good of a deal as I got the rears and centre for. The centre and rears I got cost $300 (AU) which I think normally retail for around $1600 (AU) so I’m basically planning on building up as I go, starting with what I have.

After a bit more research, and given the size of my room I think I will start with a 5.1 receiver, 7 speakers simply would not fit. My TV only has one HDMI input though? And I use that for my Ps3. I’m not too sure about the differences between that and using the digital (optical) audio output to connect my receiver to the TV? So will I need two TOSLINK fibre optic link cables, one cable from my Ps3 to receiver and one cable from my TV to receiver? Where does the HDMI input come into play? I’m a bit confused in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Depending on whether you want to use a subwoofer you may want mains with more low-end such as towers using the same tweeter as the center and rears.
    Could you please elaborate on that? Would I want mains with the same tweeter as my centre and rears if didn’t initially have a subwoofer?

What do I want to accomplish? Nothing too extreme I am not planning on spending too much money as it’s my first attempt at setting something up, (some of the rigs you guys have are insane!) just a decent working surround sound system to listen to music, watch movies, and play games in my room. So I’m now looking for two main speakers, a receiver, and when I can afford it a subwoofer.

My budget I would say at the moment is around $1000, but having said that I don’t need to buy it all at once, I’m happy to build it up as I go. So I figure I will firstly be looking for a receiver, because at least I can get some sound going until I can afford mains and a sub.

Here’s pictures of my centre and rear speakers.
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5...rerearset2.jpg
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3...scentreti9.jpg
    Thanks again Bfalls, I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by sammyo; 04-30-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Suspended
    Although you only have one HDMI input on your TV it's still the best input to use. Since you're in the market for a receiver it's the best time to take advantage of HDMI. Many new receivers have multiple HDMI inputs and at least one HDMI output. HDMI provides the higher-end audio formats and better video picture quality. Why start your system compromised?

Look at receivers from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and even Sony for reasonably priced, nicely featured units. You don't have to go 6.1 or 7.1 right now, but don't limit your options. Buy a 5.1 receiver with 7.1 line outputs to use with external amps later.

Your current surrounds and center speakers don't have a lot of low end. To really enjoy HT you need some UMPH. To get it you either need mains that provide bass extension into the 40Hz to 30Hz range. Or purchase a sub to take charge of the lower frequencies. Having matched tweeters will provide a more realistic, more encompassing soudstage. Objects panning from side to side or front to rear will be more coheisive and blend. Mismatched speakers will attract a lot of attention to themselves with HT and music. The speakers should provide an environment and disappear.

There's nothing wrong with building as you go. There's always room for better speakers, separate amps and processors, better sources. If you have a smaller room smaller speakers are OK, also no real need for a high-power receiver. Dosome critical listening and get the best for your money.

Thread Information