Forum Regular

Speaker Placement

Am currently wiring my narrow new theater room. Dimensions are 114" (9.5')x23'. My set up is Paradigm Monitor 9s in front, CC-370 center, ADP-370 surrounds, Mini-monitor rears, Klipsch 200W sub, Yamaha YXV-2400 (7.1). Here's what I propose:

Fronts would be 12" out from the corners, Sub will be movable and I will determine the best position when the room is done, Sides are 16' back ( a foot behind my sweet spot; normally only two people will be in the room, but I do have room for another "row"), rears mounted against rear wall, about 36" in from the corners.

Since my configuration won't allow for as large a screen as I'd like and since the perf screens are quite expensive and seem to hinder audio quality, would it be a terrific audio sin to squeeze my fronts in closer to the corners (say 6 or 9" instead of 12")? I'm willing to sacrifice a little audio quality to achieve a larger screen size, but I don't want it to sound like junk either.

Will be drywalling next week, so all comments about the speaker placement would be most appreciated at this time. Thanks!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404
    Am currently wiring my narrow new theater room. Dimensions are 114" (9.5')x23'. My set up is Paradigm Monitor 9s in front, CC-370 center, ADP-370 surrounds, Mini-monitor rears, Klipsch 200W sub, Yamaha YXV-2400 (7.1). Here's what I propose:

Fronts would be 12" out from the corners, Sub will be movable and I will determine the best position when the room is done, Sides are 16' back ( a foot behind my sweet spot; normally only two people will be in the room, but I do have room for another "row"), rears mounted against rear wall, about 36" in from the corners.

Since my configuration won't allow for as large a screen as I'd like and since the perf screens are quite expensive and seem to hinder audio quality, would it be a terrific audio sin to squeeze my fronts in closer to the corners (say 6 or 9" instead of 12")? I'm willing to sacrifice a little audio quality to achieve a larger screen size, but I don't want it to sound like junk either.

Will be drywalling next week, so all comments about the speaker placement would be most appreciated at this time. Thanks!
    If you are open to buying acoustic damping panels to line your walls, you can squeeze a few more inches of separation without much sound degradation. Even at 1 foot, you'd benefit a lot. My bedroom HT suffers from being a bit too narrow, I want to rig something up along the walls because the wall proximity is quite noticeable to me. My wife won't let me though.

Then again, with good toe in and maybe some furniture in the room, the early reflection points along the side walls might not bother you. Sometimes we've got to make compromises in our rooms to strike that balance between ergonomics and acoustics.

Thread Information