Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finally Finished!! Thoughts on my setup

After a good month and a half, I'm finally finished with my second system. I gotta chance to let it open up last night, after finally getting everything tweeked, and I'm very pleased with the results. I did pretty good $$$ wise. I wasn't trying to over do it and knew exactly what I wanted. Here's a list of gear and prices:

AVR: Onkyo 603 - Circuit City $329
    Fronts: C-3 - Audioadvisor $249
    Surrounds: C-1 - Audiogon $150
    Sub: 10" Titanic kit - $358
    Center: C-C1 - As far as the center goes, I moved my C-C1 from my main system to the second, and hunted down a C-C3 for my main system. Had to drive 90 miles to get it. (Woochifer or SirTT, perhaps you're familiar with Mai's TV in downtown Oakland.)

The C-C3 was an instant improvement to my main system. The front stage seemed to open more. There was more depth and there seemed to be a smoother pan across the front 3. The C-C1 seems to made for a smaller room, because it sounds alot better in my bedroom system, than on my main system.

I started auditioning front speakers first. I gotta chance to peep out a few speaks and really liked everything I lisented to. I peeped out Paradigm mm and Wharfdale 9.2's as well as the C-3's. They all sounded great. That's my problem, it all sounds good to me. In the end, the C-3's had the sound I was looking for at an excellent price. Once I settled on the C-3's my center options(if I wanted a voice matched system) were the C-C1 or C-C3. Well you know how that went already. If this would have been my only system, I could have picked up a C-C1 on Audiogon or Ebay for a little over a $100, Keeping the overall system cost under $1500. Which always seems to be a starting point for many seeking to put a system together.

Moving on to AVR's. I knew exactly what I wanted out of an AVR and found it in the Onkyo 603. On screen display, video switching, at least 4 digital ins, learning remote with macros, auto setup, simple for wifee to use. The Onkyo 603 has all this and more. Very simple to setup and use. More than enough power and features for my needs at an excellent price. I liked how Onkyo gives you little stickers to place on your wire that identify each speaker your connecting. The terminals are even color coordinated with the stickers. I'm not sure if any one else does this but it made hook up alot simpler.

Now I was up to a 3.0 system, and decided to use some old Yammies I had laying around for temp surrounds. It sounded OK, but never right. They just threw everything off to me. Timbre matched all around for me please. By the time I was ready for surrounds, I started having some WAF issues. I was asked not to turn our bedroom into an "HT" and I was doing the opposite. Yes, I was jerk and said I'm getting C-1's regardless. I can't help it. Payback is gonna come anyday now fellas.

After a nice delay from UPS I finally got my C-1's and Sub kit. First, I'll start with the C-1's. 1000 times better than the yammies. Blended well with the rest of the system. I know, that's what they're supposed to do. What's cool is when you're able to hear how big of an impact swapping speakers can have on your system.

All wire and what not came from Home Depot. I used 14 guage wire. Man, this stuff is stiff as a board. Very difficult to work with. I already had component cables and stuff laying around so I just needed a few things. I'm also using the JVC DVD palyer and RCA CD/MP3 player, I already had laying around collecting dust.

On to the sub!! The Titanic kit, suggested by the good people here, is off the hook. Very simple to put together. I like getting my hands dirty so it was actually fun to work with. Besides having to do a little surgery to the sub cabinent, everything went smooth. It took me a little more than an hour from start to finish. My first thoughts on the sub were good. I just slapped on U-571 for a second to make sure the sucker worked. I've spent the last few days tweeking and what not. I let the auto setup run on the Onkyo and double checked. i adjusted the levels myself, and will probaly do some more fine tuning. So last night I finally got a chance to let this baby rip and I must say for $358 this sub is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Bass is clean and precise. Fills my room nicely. All I can say is good things about this sub and I'd recommend it to anyone with a small room. Very powerful and can hit hard. I demoed Hero, Matrix, Jurrasic Park and Master & Commander with a big smile on my face. I'm wondering what that 12 & 15" versions sound like now.

I think I put together a nice system for under $1500 and saved some bucks. The system sounds great and I'm hoping to move it out of my room one day because my main system will be in a dedicated room with two 15" subs because my neighbors are 200 ft away.

OK now I'm just going on and on. Any thoughs, laughter, joking or rambling are welcome

Great set up LJ. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. What does the lady of the house say about it?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Congrats! You fared very well within your budget. You obviously found a good match for your listening enjoyment in those Energy's, and this is your second system, eh? Driving 90 miles over to Mai's TV in Oaktown (I've not gone there yet, but now that Good Guys is gone, it's one of the few places in the Bay Area where I can currently try out Energy) AND putting up with that UPS debacle is proof enough that you found some speakers that work well for you! I guess the next step is to tweak with the calibrations and address any big issues with the room acoustics. Have you tried a parametric equalizer with either of your systems yet? Believe me, using one of those will sound like you got yourself a brand new sub.

Your experience parallels what I love about building a home theater system -- you can use older gear that you might have lying around the garage on a temporary basis, and every upgrade step along the way gives you a big improvement in performance.

P.S. Play nice with the wifee, even if it means taking in a chick flick or two with her on the bedroom system!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Great job LJ! That's sounds like a really fun rig and you didn't spend too much at all. Kudos my friend.

Kam
    pics!!!!!!!
    (please)
    /create

nice, very nice system....i second the chick flick...its the least you can do for her flexibility.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Way to go LJ!!!

That's a helluva 2nd system you threw together there. I'm living vicariously through you right now. Let's just say the HT systems in Marriot hotels suck donkey balls (to borrow a line from RGA).

Glad to hear your enjoying everything.

So are you planning another system already? I can't wait to spend even more of your money!!!

I'll second Woochifer's recommendation. A parametric EQ really does maximize the performance of your subwoofer. For less than $100, I can't think of a more cost effective addition to your system....

...except for room treatments. I've been doing a bunch of experiments with various firberglasses, mineral wools, foams, fabrics etc. I've come to the conclusion that room treatments are an absolute must for any serious home theater or stereo system. I'm really amazed at the level of detail even modest room treatment can bring out. And it's not even that expensive. $100 can accomplish quite a bit. It's a shame that this stuff is the most neglected and overlooked aspect of most peoples' audio systems. I hope to have a big post on my trails and tribulations in the not too distant future.. Maybe I'll turn it into a review of sorts based on some experiments. We'll see.

Anyway, glad everything's finally come together for you..now to buy some new music and movies!!!

Pics!!

Front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally Finished!! Thoughts on my setup-1.jpg  

Rack and sub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally Finished!! Thoughts on my setup-2.jpg  

I tried to put a plant in front of one of the surrounds to keep wifee happy. It didn't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally Finished!! Thoughts on my setup-3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Great set up LJ. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. What does the lady of the house say about it?
    Not too thrilled about it. I get little comments every now and then.

Kam
    very clean set up! nice!! not intrusive at all (at least for my eyes!). i always forget the waf or soaf factor that goes into setups, am fortunate enough (or unfortunate i guess depending on your pov) to not have to worry about that (hence the all black wall in my place which i am sure isnt a highpoint amongst female appreciated decor)
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Have you tried a parametric equalizer with either of your systems yet? Believe me, using one of those will sound like you got yourself a brand new sub.
    This will probably be my next project. I have alot to learn though, since this will be new territory for me. I will do plenty of research. Kex posted a results thread with your before and after measurements, so that's a good place to start. I'm sure I'll get plenty of help along the way, so it should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That's a helluva 2nd system you threw together there. I'm living vicariously through you right now. Let's just say the HT systems in Marriot hotels suck donkey balls (to borrow a line from RGA).

Glad to hear your enjoying everything.

So are you planning another system already? I can't wait to spend even more of your money!!!

I'll second Woochifer's recommendation. A parametric EQ really does maximize the performance of your subwoofer. For less than $100, I can't think of a more cost effective addition to your system....

...except for room treatments. I've been doing a bunch of experiments with various firberglasses, mineral wools, foams, fabrics etc. I've come to the conclusion that room treatments are an absolute must for any serious home theater or stereo system. I'm really amazed at the level of detail even modest room treatment can bring out. And it's not even that expensive. $100 can accomplish quite a bit. It's a shame that this stuff is the most neglected and overlooked aspect of most peoples' audio systems. I hope to have a big post on my trails and tribulations in the not too distant future.. Maybe I'll turn it into a review of sorts based on some experiments. We'll see.

Anyway, glad everything's finally come together for you..now to buy some new music and movies!!!
    I wouldn't mind a 2 chan. system. Maybe in a year or so. I also want to get into some more DIY in the future. Seems like alot of fun.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Man, you weren't kidding, that IS a bedroom system....Now I'm really jealous. Haven't been able to talk the wife into that (yet).
    Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    nice, very nice system....i second the chick flick...its the least you can do for her flexibility.
    Not a bad idea guys. Grease perhaps.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Um.. Well... I...

Nevermind.....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Not too thrilled about it. I get little comments every now and then.
    What's her favorite movie? How about music. I play wifey's favorite music low in the mornings. She doesn't complain about the speakers anymore.

Kam
    Not a bad idea guys. Grease perhaps.......
    Where the Boys Aren't XIV is a great "chick" flick.
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    very clean set up! nice!! not intrusive at all (at least for my eyes!). i always forget the waf or soaf factor that goes into setups, am fortunate enough (or unfortunate i guess depending on your pov) to not have to worry about that (hence the all black wall in my place which i am sure isnt a highpoint amongst female appreciated decor)
    Well it kinda started as a room remodel, plus getting rid of the huge 36" JVC monster we had and replacing it with a 32 flat panel to hang on the wall freeing up floor space. I was also supposed to get rid of all the speakers I had laying around and replace them with a nice 2 chan. Well that somehow (cough, cough) evolved into a full 5.1 system. I was also asked not to make the room look like a HT. It doesn't look bad to me and I tried to make it look as nice and clean as possible.

Well it kinda started as a room remodel, plus getting rid of the huge 36" JVC monster we had and replacing it with a 32 flat panel to hang on the wall freeing up floor space. I was also supposed to get rid of all the speakers I had laying around and replace them with a nice 2 chan. Well that somehow (cough, cough) evolved into a full 5.1 system. I was also asked not to make the room look like a HT. It doesn't look bad to me and I tried to make it look as nice and clean as possible.
    You did a great job LJ. I'm sure the little lady will come around in time. A few chick flix, some of her music played softly and she'll decide that it was a great idea. But she may not tell you that right away. After all, how can she hold out for that special gift if she says that she likes it?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You did a great job LJ. I'm sure the little lady will come around in time. A few chick flix, some of her music played softly and she'll decide that it was a great idea. But she may not tell you that right away. After all, how can she hold out for that special gift if she says that she likes it?
    I agree GMichael with you that she'll come around.Maybe its more work for her now,dusting .LJ count yourself lucky that you were able to enter bedroom with the system.My wife would kill me My living room as a wall full of speakers,2 set of towers,2 sub ,3 centre channel.

L.J.-

You're a braver man than I ever could be! The idea of passing a 5.1 system in the bedroom is something I haven't even considered passing by my wife! The two-channel setup I got in the spare bedroom is already a sore spot with her, so I'm not even going to try doing anything with the master bedroom.

I must say that your setup really nice, with everything neatly tucked away. The WAF might be a pain to navigate, but can't dispute the aesthetic appeal that results from that!

This will probably be my next project. I have alot to learn though, since this will be new territory for me. I will do plenty of research. Kex posted a results thread with your before and after measurements, so that's a good place to start. I'm sure I'll get plenty of help along the way, so it should be very interesting.
    Definitely worth learning, and quite a bit of fun as well. My own before and after measurements are linked below, and also a webpage that documented some of what I learned during the process.

http://members.aol.com/sfwooch/
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Congrats LJ

and nice work,sir! While the negative WAF will probably haunt you for some time, that is the cleanest, least intrusive system I've seen in a long while. I would not, however, be the the one to get caught playing an action/adventure flick at max db for any reason, at any time, for quite some time.
    How is the Aquos? I've been considering that size for a second system and while it looks great in the showroom, you never really know until you get the skinny from someone with practical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    How is the Aquos? I've been considering that size for a second system and while it looks great in the showroom, you never really know until you get the skinny from someone with practical experience.
    I had my eye on this baby for awhile. I got it pretty much based on reviews and what not. My eyes(and ears for that matter) are so simple. It all just sounds and looks good to me. I guess that's a good thing.

The picture is simply breathtaking. The colors are vivid and flawless. HD is incredible. I definitely wanted a flat panel with speakers on the side, HDMI inputs and wasn't looking to spend more than $2000. I easily stayed within my budget including getting a 4 year warranty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information