Thread: HSU vs. SVS

Forum Regular

HSU vs. SVS

OK,

I am considering a new sub, which will be used in approximately 2500 square foot dedicated theater.

Will be used for 85% HT and 15% music.

I am considering either the SVS PB2-ISD or the HSU VTF3 MK2. I am assuming that either of these would be a major upgrade over my current paradigm ps-1200. Is this correct. Which of these would you recommend. The SVS is $1000 shipped, and the HSU would be $800. if these will be similar, I would obviously get the cheaper HSU, but I am thinking that the SVS would be better, considering the 2 12 inch woofers vs. 1 12 inch woofer. Any thoughts?

My budget is be around $1000, and want this sub to absolutely great!

Thanks!

cam
    I am trading my ps 1000 up towards a pw 2200. I always tried to convince myself that I would never need to upgrade, the ps series are only good for hip hop music, not ht like most people say.

Forum Regular
    Either would be an improvement. If you have something laying around your place that you can power the sub with you may want to consider dual 25-31CS's retuned to 22Hz. Of the two listed above, if you are not moving anytime soon the HSU (currently $699 delivered while they are still on backorder) would be probably be the best way to go though it is comparable to the SVS 25-31PC+.

Forum Regular
    Well, unfortunately i dont have anything around to run the passive subs with. For what reasons do you think that the HSU is better than the SVS?

Thanks for your help

mdchambe Go to avs forum in the speaker section and look up "why have a subwoofer shootout".Tested were theSVS PB2+and the HSU VTF 3 mk2..They took measurements and some were done blind..Its a long thread but in there somewhere it was posted that the PB2isd was 3dbs down from the plus..Both were capable of 16hz with decent output..Hope this helps..

Forum Regular
    Im sorry, how do you find that post???

Quote Originally Posted by mdchambe
    Im sorry, how do you find that post???
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=362595

Forum Regular

The VTF3 is 95 lbs....

...and can be puchased on line for 699 including shipping...appears to be a killer in the under 1,000 subs....at 95lbs it runs $7.36/lb which is less than Porterhouse...the rest are Tenderloin prices......

Forum Regular
    Here it seems to make sense for your situation. Both are phenominal subs but the HSU is a box type sub that is cheaper than the cylinder SVS 25-31PC+. Making the decision was simply based on aesthetics and price. In your situation the HSU would be the better bargain and meets your criteria. If a person doesn't care about a large black cylinder in their HT room then flip a coin. You would be hard pressed to go wrong no matter which one you decide to go with.

I haven't heard the SVS but if the tubes are OK with you, check out the Hsu TN-1220HO w/250 watt amp:

http://www.hsustore.com/tn1220-powered.html

-1db @ 18hz. 101db max @ 12.5 hz!

Here's the reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...9_2741crx.aspx

I should add that, when I have questions, Dr. Hsu himself answers them - within a day!

I can't find the spec sheet for the SVS. 600 watt amp & 2 12s' does sound good, but without a clear spec (why can't I find it easily??) seems - hmmm. 600 watt peak?

I haven't heard the 1220HO but own a pair of their predecessor, the SW12. I love them.

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information