Forum Regular

Excellent Affordable Bargain JVC Receiver and Home Theater (Orb speakers) System

I just purchased the JVC RX-DV31SL DVD-Audio/Video receiver (combo DVD and receiver)
    and everything on it sounds/looks great. Amplifier power: Surround: 100 watts per channel x 5 (into 8 ohms at 1 kHz); stereo: 100 watts per channel x 2 (into 8 ohms from 40 to 20,000 Hz) While it lists for $450, I got it brand new sealed online for $285 including shipping and you can probably get it for about $200 on EBAY if you're patient. The only thing I didn't like about this receiver and is apparently common with other decent receivers was the 74 page manual and I could not figure out how to set everything up on it so I had to pay a local Stereo place $65 to have someone come over and set it up which was the best $65 I've ever invested. I play this with my incredible Orb Audio Mod 1 satellite speakers (See orbaudio.com) and an Accoustic Research ARS 108 Subwoofer and everything is great- CD's, DVD's the works. I also use monster cable. All in all the entire system cost me less than $1000 and is the best I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    The only thing I didn't like about this receiver and is apparently common with other decent receivers was the 74 page manual and I could not figure out how to set everything up on it so I had to pay a local Stereo place $65 to have someone come over and set it up which was the best $65 I've ever invested.
    How did he set it up?

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    By setting up I didn't mean speaker wiring but the 1000's of controls on the system: treble, bass, crossover, distance, mode, dbs, etc. They were not basic easy to do settings and there were so many of them. On my previous cheapo Koss C-220 DVD/receiver, these settings were basic and easy to do but on this system and apparently other better receivers there are more settings. The guy who set everything up basically made it so all I really have to do is just press play and do nothing more as everything is now set up for optimum sound.

Thanks for info. I know what you mean by having too many settings to go thru. It almost took me a month to get right setting for the Sub alone as to not over power for music, and have enough oomph for movies. I end up sticking a sock in the port to make it more linear

Forum Regular
    If there is a decent high end stereo store and/or repair place in your city (check the yellow pages and see if they do installations), it might be worth paying $50- $100 having someone check all your settings if your not 100% positive that its set up to meet your standards. The place that did it for me in LA does hundreds of these and knows how to set up receivers backwards and forwards.

Thread Information