• 05-07-2004, 09:21 AM
    Weister42
    Sony's WEGA sets are unreliable?
    I'm planning to buy a second-hand SONY KV27FS100 set, but when I did a search on this TV a lot of people says that this TV tends to have defects a few months after you buy it, the picture distorts and such bad reviews. What's even more disturbing a technician says Sony's new TVs are not very reliable at all. I have to drive to Chicago from Wisconsin to get this TV so it's quite a drive.

Does anyone have a SONY WEGA and how's it working so far?
  • 05-07-2004, 10:18 AM
    Slosh
    Four and a half years and not a single problem. The TV I had before that was a Panasonic Superflat that was in the shop twice in two years. After fixing it the second time (two different problems) I sold it and got the Sony. Both TVs were purchased new, FWIW.
  • 05-07-2004, 02:53 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Weister42
    I'm planning to buy a second-hand SONY KV27FS100 set...

How much are you paying for it. You probably could pick up a brand new Wega at BestBuy or circuitcity for $400 (or lower) since new models are arriving and last year models are marked down.

Or if you worry about quality, you could pick a Toshiba 27 inch Flat TV 27AF43 (which came in at #1 at recent Consumerreport TV face-off) for $350 at above stores.

I have Sony 27 inch 27S42 which is 5 year old, and so far no problems :)
  • 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM
    Woochifer
    Sony in general has been hit or miss, and with the number of misses I've had from them in recent years, I try to avoid Sony whenever I can. Their Wega TVs have been a mixed bag. Their first production models from 1999, when the line was introduced, were very unreliable. The store where my friend worked had about half of their first batch of Wegas fail within the first week. Sony did eventually clean up their act, but my understanding is that the Wegas have never been especially reliable, even if their failure rates have been more under control lately. If their newer models have exceptionally high failure rates, it's unfortunately not at all unusual for Sony. Everything might be okay for a while, and then suddenly one particular production run or model just goes sky high with the defects.
  • 05-08-2004, 04:17 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

I'm planning to buy a second-hand SONY KV27FS100 set, but when I did a search on this TV a lot of people says that this TV tends to have defects a few months after you buy it, the picture distorts and such bad reviews. What's even more disturbing a technician says Sony's new TVs are not very reliable at all. I have to drive to Chicago from Wisconsin to get this TV so it's quite a drive.

After hearing and reading what others have to say about this set, you're STILL considering it?

Let me tell you this FWIW. I've been working with TV sets ever since they firat appeared on the planet. Today, I would not buy a Sony TV set of any size, shape, or description at any price! They perform as well as (or better than) anything else in the marketplace - when they work. When they decide not to work, they're without a doubt the most difficult sets to repair that I've ever encountered ... and the company's tech support dept. is sorely lacking in help.

Smokey's secondary suggestion is by far a better way for you to go, IMO. The Toshiba set is a real winner in my book, and IF and WHEN any problem should arise, the company will support you to a far greater extent than Sony.

Hope this helps you
  • 05-08-2004, 07:15 PM
    Weister42
    Yeah I'll take the advice from smokey, I was going to bid on a TV on eBay but it went over my price range anyway.
  • 05-09-2004, 09:47 AM
    Stereomaniac
    Sony have terrible reliablity
    Quote:

I have a 24" Sony Wega and have had nothing but problems from day one. Right out of the box the Red was too hot and the picture was out of alignment. Now I am having a problem with compatibility with my new Denon DVD. I am losing the Sony and keeping the Denon. ;) ;) ;)
  • 05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
    BrianUDLaw
    Quote:

I have the predecessor of the model you're considering, and have had to have the picture tube replaced (while still under warranty, thankfully), and have spent a good amount of time using the the service mode to fix geometry problems. I would echo what others have said, and would encourage you to avoid that Sony set.