• 09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
    luckee
    Sony WEGA 27" TV Opinions?
    A friend of mine recently got a free tv from the freeflatscreen.com promotion. The TV is really nice and all but how does it compare to a HDTV? The quality from what i've seen first hand is really nice, however still lacks the HDTV compatibility. The exact model that it is: SONY KV-27FS120 27" FD Trinitron® WEGA TV, MFG part #KV-27FS120.

Here's a pic of it (taken from the J&R website)
    http://www.xanix.com/ffs/sony.jpeg

Any info is appreciated!

Also, In case you're looking for info on how he got it, check out this site I made (and no it's not one of those spam sites with popups/banners/all that stupid immature stuff). www.xanix.com/ffs
  • 09-17-2004, 08:02 AM
    Slosh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luckee
    A friend of mine recently got a free tv from the freeflatscreen.com promotion. The TV is really nice and all but how does it compare to a HDTV? The quality from what i've seen first hand is really nice, however still lacks the HDTV compatibility. The exact model that it is: SONY KV-27FS120 27" FD Trinitron® WEGA TV, MFG part #KV-27FS120.

I have the first generation version of that TV from 2000 (KV-27FS12). There were a couple of earlier generation Wegas but this was the first to include the all-important 16:9 enhance mode. Once it is calibrated with a test DVD and the red drive is turned down a bit in the service menu, it looks about as good as a consumer NTSC direct-view gets but HDTV it ain't.
  • 09-17-2004, 10:31 AM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luckee
    A friend of mine recently got a free tv from the freeflatscreen.com promotion. The TV is really nice and all but how does it compare to a HDTV? The quality from what i've seen first hand is really nice, however still lacks the HDTV compatibility.

Any info is appreciated!

If you can get this set for FREE - then fine and dandy. But I wouldn't buy one myself at any price! My servicing experience with Sony sets has been very negative - plus the fact that Sony has only seen fit to back this set with 90 damn days of warranty! That, all by itself is reason enough to rule it out in my book. I think that a 90 day warranty on a product (especially on a product selling for hundreds of dollars) is obscene! It's pretty strong and convincing evidence that the mfg.doesn't have much confidence in it's reliability.

Also, a 27" set is really too small to enjoy the potential of HiDef pictures. If you want to enjoy the benefits of HDTV pic quality, you need to look at sets with a larger screen size than this, IMO.