Forum Regular

Sony LCD Settings

Does anyone wanna share they're best/favorite setting for any of the Sony LCD rear projections. I have last years 60". Standard or Pro? I hear Pro is the best but something seems to be lost.

I'm familiar with Sony LCDs. I agree with you completely that the Pro setting leaves something to be desired. I find it dull and soft, with no snap in the colors. I don't much like Standard either; it rachets up the brightness and the artificial blue. It may seem counterintuitive--at least it does for me--but I much prefer Vivid. It responds very well to DVE set up, particularly with a DVD player that can pass blacker than black, and gets the most out of hi rez material (just as Sony claims that it does). Even though Vivid may not be able to hold its Pluge black level when something bright is on the screen, it has a pleasing gray scale overall. So far as color accuracy is concerned, blue can easily be brought into line, and red follows relatively well. Green, however, is hopeless, but Sonys are not the only TVs to stumble in that regard. Flesh tones look pretty good after calibration.

Ed

Factory presets on any set can only take your image so far. Buy a Sound and Vision set up disc (availible here ) or use any movie that is THX certified - these will have a THX opimizer that will walk you though how to set up your tv - not a bad start. Your end result is better than any preset because every room is completely different and the settings that I have for my TV that is in a room with tonnes of natural light will be different than the settings that someone else has that is in a basement will no natural light. The nice thing is that if you really screw up when fooling around with your settings is that you can always hit the 'reset video settings' button when it just looks way off.

cheers!

Thread Information