• 06-16-2004, 12:59 PM
    landoco
    Sony ES Receiver Equalizer
    I am trying to educate myself and understand how an equalizer affects the different speaker sound. I was listening to B&W speakers in an Audio shop and noticed a lot more detail in the mid range when compared to mine. I went home and increased the Khz to about 700 to achieve a similar level of detail. What impact does the higher number on KHz band have on the treble, mid and bass frequencies? Does it bring more details from the source? Fundamentally, how does adjusting the equalizer band affect your speaker sound?
  • 06-17-2004, 05:05 AM
    Resident Loser
    If you provide the model number...
    ...and a PDF can be downloaded, it might make some sense to me...increasing the kHZ to 700?...this does not compute...

However, I will try to address your other questions. Generally speaking, tone controls are usually divided into just bass and treble. Equalizers are fancy versions of them. Graphic equalizers further divide the frequency spectrum into smaller bands of frequency...you can boost or attenuate specific areas to correct room problems and such...When done, the individual sliders can describe a frequency curve, hence the name "graphic".

There are also parametric equalizers that accomplish the same end, but do it in a somewhat different manner...you must set the "parameters" such as center frequency, width of effect and level...there are other equalizers that are purpose dedicated such as those used as part of a loudspeaker system and then there is the phono pre-amp which provides RIAA equalization. This is a fixed value and applies only to vinyl phono disks and is mentioned FYI only.

Making adjustments to specific frequency bands can dramatically alter your system's sonics...unfortunately, most people do not know how to use them properly, using them as an overall gain device instead of their intended purpose. That is why equalizers get a bum rap in some audio circles IMO. Over or under adjustments can effect the perception of the overall tonal qualities we hear and "details" can be made more apparent. This however can upset the overall applecart. Increasing the treble can have the same effect as decreasing the bass...it's all relative. Bringing out those "details" can cause the overall sound to be harsh or can lessen the impact of the bass. As multiband equalizers can range from as few as four or five frequency bands and go to thirty or more, I am of the opinion that the are best used with calibrated noise sources and meters, although there are those who think otherwise.

I realize I have gone a bit far afield in my response, but sound and audio can be a bit more complex than the average person realizes...particularly with regard to equalization.

jimHJJ(...thank you for your indulgence...)