• 02-05-2005, 09:50 AM
    jamison162
    Sony 60" LCD Dissapointment
    Hi all,

I recently posted about the great deal I got at Sam's on the discontinued Sony KF-60WE610 (60") LCD. Well, I need some input. It was a brand new model, never opened w/full warranty, so I don't think it's a lemon or anything.

Point Blank: I'm not impressed with the PQ at all. I must mention that I have the DVE setup disc but have not had time to calibrate the set as of yet. So, my question is should I keep the television. Is it my expectations are too high, or is there a better 60" LCD/DLP in the $3,000 price range. Also, analog cable sux, digital is ok, and HD is GREAT! But not overly impressive as with my previous Sony 46" RPTV. I guess I do have to consider the fact that this is a much larger screen and maybe I was holding too high a standard.
    I'm running a Denon 2200 dvd player, and it's ok, but not as clear and brilliant as the 46". The pictre and colors just don't pop ya know. I can pick up on the LCD pixels which kind of bothers me. Should I just keep it, calibrate it and pick up a new dvd player like the Denon 1910 or 2910 with the Faroudja chip? The 2200 has the other de-interlacer in it.

All opinions welcomed.

-Eric
  • 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
    AVMASTER
    unfortunately analog signals on MOST fixed pixel displays are going to sux; I've seen your model with ISF calibration and it does very little for analog. At 60" you're not going to find a current model from a legit dealer for $3k; so having said that i would stick with it, get it calibrated, drop cable, add VOOM, move your seat back a little further, and get a up-conversion dvd player
  • 02-05-2005, 01:35 PM
    jamison162
    Sony
    I got this one for a steal. $2169 brand new. Guess I could sell it and make a little on it and buy the 62" Mit. DLP. Anyone have comments or own one of those. I am seriously looking at the Denon 2910.
  • 02-05-2005, 04:00 PM
    mjon99
    Woodman would be an exellent person to talk to. He's extremely knowledgeable and experienced with TV's. Search his moniker for some info on the subject. Also, he's not very fond of Sony televisions. Having said that I have a Sony 65" CRT. I've only had it about a year and a half so no problems have popped up yet. My wife has a friend who works for Sony Erikson so we got a hell of a discount. (33%) If that wasn't the case I probably would have went with a Mitsubishi or Hitachi. Although I do think the picture quality on the Sony is excellent with HD. (Kinda sucks with analog, but don't all large HD tv's?) I realize you're talking about an LCD which I cannot speak for quality wise, but for the price I would try to see what you can do with it before returning it.

Good Luck.

Mike
  • 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
    s dog
    toshiba crt comment
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison162
    Hi all,

I recently posted about the great deal I got at Sam's on the discontinued Sony KF-60WE610 (60") LCD. Well, I need some input. It was a brand new model, never opened w/full warranty, so I don't think it's a lemon or anything.

Point Blank: I'm not impressed with the PQ at all. I must mention that I have the DVE setup disc but have not had time to calibrate the set as of yet. So, my question is should I keep the television. Is it my expectations are too high, or is there a better 60" LCD/DLP in the $3,000 price range. Also, analog cable sux, digital is ok, and HD is GREAT! But not overly impressive as with my previous Sony 46" RPTV. I guess I do have to consider the fact that this is a much larger screen and maybe I was holding too high a standard.
    I'm running a Denon 2200 dvd player, and it's ok, but not as clear and brilliant as the 46". The pictre and colors just don't pop ya know. I can pick up on the LCD pixels which kind of bothers me. Should I just keep it, calibrate it and pick up a new dvd player like the Denon 1910 or 2910 with the Faroudja chip? The 2200 has the other de-interlacer in it.

All opinions welcomed.

-Eric

I just got a new toshiba 57 inch crt and my standard satellite does not look two good on it . dvds look really good ,im playing them on a denon 1600 player i do not have a hd receiver yet but will get one when the $ comes down,i really think the standard satellite picture looked better on my old 50 inch standard toshiba than it does on my new hd tv, i cant stand the stretched look i get when i try to fill the whole sreen with a standard satellite picture , but i new this going in to it all and besides i got this tv for dvds and hd i can watch the standard stuff on my old tv untill i get a hd reicever
  • 02-07-2005, 08:35 AM
    midfiguy
    You could always buy a projector like the Infocus 4805 for $1000-$1200, pay much less, set it up yourself, which isn't that hard, have fantastic DLP picture quality and a huge screen, and spend the extra $1500 you have left after you get a screen and upgrade speakers, components, room decor, anything!

I just bought one, and couldn't be happier. The patriots look good winning, they look even better in HIDEF* at 76"!

*The 4805 is an EDTV projector which isn't true HD, but trust me, it's almost impossible to tell the difference, the quality is that good. I did a side by side comparison with my brother's Mitsu Diamondvision 65" in HIDef and I thought the 4805 looked better!

PROS:

-Roll the screen up and everything disappears
    -Huge WAF
    -No large TV making a wall unusable
    -Way cheaper than most projection TVs
    -HUGE picture!

CONS:

-Really not made as primary video source, should have second TV like 36", etc for everyday viewing
    -Daytime viewing tough (though I do with curtains and it looks great!)
    -Bulb will go in 3000-4000 hours (maybe 3 years or so) so it will cost about $350 to replace
    -Requires some initial setup/installation, but well worth it!

Anyways, if you're interested, you can go to avsforum.com and read the 9,000 comments on the 4805 under the "Digital Projectors under $3500" forum. Don't be fooled by people who say you have to have a dedicated room and must have perfect lighting conditions, etc. It's just not true. Obviously the best picture is when there is no light (but we do most of our movie/primetime viewing when it's hard out anyways) but we sometimes have a lamp on about 8 feet from the screen and you can still see the picture nice and clear.

If you have any questions, let me know