Cool 2 Ch. amplifier (500w) from Monster @ BestBuy for $2500.

I wonder if Monster will throw in some of their cables [for free] with this unit at this price!

From the look of it, it does look sturdy, and its specifications is impressive:

250W per channel, 500W total with all channels driven.
    Laboratory-grade digital power meters monitor actual power output.
    Each channel has independent power supply.
    Includes triple-shielded extra-long Monster PowerLine 400 power cord.
    Total weight: 75 Lb

For $2500, I am sure we can buy a separate HT package that is DD/DTS ready and have pre amp also.

Wouldn't you all agree?

FRONT:

BACK:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0&type=product

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Actually it's not too bad a price for a quality high power amp. The meters are neat looking too.

Monster makes amps?!?!?

Detachable cord...balanced output...wonder how it sounds?

Just from the looks of it

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Monster makes amps?!?!?

Detachable cord...balanced output...wonder how it sounds?
    It probably kicks butt.

Lightbulb Monster 2 channel amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Actually it's not too bad a price for a quality high power amp. The meters are neat looking too.
    Are you paying high power amp or for the monster name ?Pat.P

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Are you paying high power amp or for the monster name ?Pat.P
    nt....

nightflier

Call me skeptical...

...but for $2500 you could do better. Monster has not been in this business as long as other companies have. I could maybe justify paying that amount for a Perraux amp with half the power rating of the Monster.

I say, let others be the guinea pigs and see what the forums say. At the very least, see what the trade rags say about it. $2500 is a lot for a new product line. This is not to disparage Monster, in any way, but what if they decide to drop the product because it's not selling in a few months?

Thanks everybody.

This product was probably cater to people that listen to 2 ch. analog music only. At 75 pound, it is probably build like a tank. May be a pre amp of same caliber is in the works. I wonder how many pound that is going to weight

I've heard them at our local shop here. They are impressive. Built like tanks, full of high grade components. It is every bit a high-end amplifier. Sounds it too. If the Monster name was replaced with a McIntosh logo, every one would be all over this amp. Monster has been in the HT business much longer than several other companies that are considered "great". They do there homework when designing and building their products - they did the same here. These amps are tanks. BUT......one problem.....they will ONLY let you hear their amps with THEIR speakers and with ONLY The Eagles - Hotel California DVD-Audio. While this setup was definetly one of the best I've ever heard, it was limiting. I would have wanted to hear it with my music. Also, one Monster amp did blow and smoke one channel while playing "Desperado" - not a good sign (or maybe just a fluke). Either way, when the Monster advertising wagon leaves town, I'll bet these amps will become a major player in the high-end arena.
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

Smoked a channel?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rycher
    I've heard them at our local shop here. They are impressive. Built like tanks, full of high grade components. It is every bit a high-end amplifier. Sounds it too. If the Monster name was replaced with a McIntosh logo, every one would be all over this amp. Monster has been in the HT business much longer than several other companies that are considered "great". They do there homework when designing and building their products - they did the same here. These amps are tanks. BUT......one problem.....they will ONLY let you hear their amps with THEIR speakers and with ONLY The Eagles - Hotel California DVD-Audio. While this setup was definetly one of the best I've ever heard, it was limiting. I would have wanted to hear it with my music. Also, one Monster amp did blow and smoke one channel while playing "Desperado" - not a good sign (or maybe just a fluke). Either way, when the Monster advertising wagon leaves town, I'll bet these amps will become a major player in the high-end arena.

That doesn't bode well. An amp like this should have "protection up the wazoo". Smoking a channel on a difficult passage is not an option. My 20 year old PS Audio 200c amp, a similar 200wpc behmoth was totally impervious to any suicidal assaults by insane operation. Protected thermally,(I know I drove it to thermal overload a couple times) and fused, this amp never had a problem even after I crossed the terminals once! (don't ask) A 8amp protection fuse was all that was nessasary. This is what I expect from a $2500 amp, not "oops smoked the amp".

[QUOTE=Geoffcin]That doesn't bode well. QUOTE]

I agree.
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

BUT......one problem.....they will ONLY let you hear their amps with THEIR speakers and with ONLY The Eagles - Hotel California DVD-Audio.
    Don't have anything against the Eagles, but that album is not enough demanding for an evaluation run. May be if they play some AC/DC

nightflier
    Monster has been in the HT business much longer than several other companies that are considered "great"
    Now, to my knowledge, they have not been making amps, receivers, or preamps, so I don't consider that "in the business." I also don't trust that they will only allow you to listen to one type of equipment (almost sounds like they are going the Bose route with their marketing). And why only the Eagles? I'd like to pop in my Massive Attack / Mezzanine or Dupre / Organworks CD and see how this amp performs. And I'm not implying that a power-cabling-switch company cannot bridge the gap to amps (after all, PS Audio did), but I'm just saying that $2500 is a lot of money for a new product line. And yes, if it blows a channel in the show room, that's particularly bad - kind of like blowing a gasket on a test-drive of the new Ford 500. This Monster amp is starting to sound quite monstrous....

But, hey, I haven't seen it or heard it, so I'm only going by your comments. For my $2500, I'll stick with Parasound, Adcom, or Outlaw, and let others try the Monster out first.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    And I'm not implying that a power-cabling-switch company cannot bridge the gap to amps (after all, PS Audio did),
    For the record, PS Audio started out by building exceptionally good pre-amps out of their garage in the '70's. Amps would soon follow and they later branched out into building one of, if not the, first outboard DAC's. After Paul and Stan (PS, get it?) sold the company, PSA floundered around for a few years. In the '90's, Paul bought the company back and started exploring power regeneration. While accolades for their power centers brought PSA back into the audiophile limelight, they have always offered amps such as the behemoth Classic 250, an amp much in the same vein as this Monster piece. It wasn't until the last few years with the innovative HCA2 and now GCA switching amps that PSA became known again for their amps and pre-amps.

Essentially, PS Audio has come full circle.

Forum Regular

I would not be surprised to find them designed by Richard Marsh

In that case they would be quite nice. I've had both the big Marsh and the big Parasound Halo amps in my system....the Halo was better, IMHO.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    I've had both the big Marsh and the big Parasound Halo amps in my system..the Halo was better, IMHO.
    What were the cost of those Amps?

eqm
    I just heard both the 3-channel and the 2-channel hooked up to a 5.1 Kef Q-5 Reference system at Ultimate Electronics. They had Van Helsing in the dvd player, so I don't know about the Eagles display you mention. These amps definitely made the Kefs sound more accurate in the upper bass range when compared to the Krell Showcase it was hooked up to before (something that until this point made me not even want to look at the Kef speakers). Punchy and accurate with a nice, full bottom end is how i would describe these amps. And yes, they are Marsh-designed amps, as I asked that of the salesperson over there as well. I have an Adcom GFA-5300 that I use to bi-amp my front speakers, and I am definitely interested in auditioning one of these guys in my main setup now.

Here you go, use the extra $ to buy DVDs,CD, and such...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=245-432

Forum Regular
    I bought a used 5-channel Chiro amp used for $600. It's 140 wpc and they sold a 2- and 3-channel version as well. It seems to be extremely well-made and I would certainly recommend it. However, Chiro is out of business now and that brand isn't the most common around.

Forum Regular

Smokey...about $2500

Good price point.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information