Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Some receiver pics

I don't know WTF's going on, but anyway, here's one:

Suspended
    "The Main Monkey Business"

Suspended

Speaker connections

I had the speakers wired in, but I pulled everything out because I had other routing to do behind the audio cabinet. And to tell you the truth, I'm no longer happy with the Parts Express banana plugs. My boss gave me a couple of sets that he purchased from Orange County Speakers...

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...e=black_chrome

I may just end up replacing all the ones I have with these.

Suspended
    Hi Rich, glad to see you are up and running. So does this amp make any imrovement driving the B&W's?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    The Yamaha RX-V3800 would be my number one choice in that price range....great receiver!

Looks like you might have the rear cutout rather tight? Just a suggestion, but make sure you've got enough air circulation back there

RR6.

Congrats rich, that yamaha sure is fine looking...

And I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks...

Have fun,
    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Boogie down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "The Main Monkey Business"
    Four HDMi inputs, cool

Suspended
    Thanks guys. Mr. P, my initial reaction was yes, there seemed to be more detail and presence when I played Rush: Snakes & Arrows, I could crank more volume but when I went through some of the listening modes (DTS:Neo 6 music, 2 channel... etc) output sounded really bad. I found out after reading about bi-amping, which I did, the Bi-amp mode is default off. I even ran Room EQ (YPAO) in this condition and it still didn't sound right so I shut everything down. While reading the instructions for running Room EQ, it says to use the GUI to go through the setup. Well, I don't have the wiring for my TV finished up in the attic yet, so I thought I could just use the receiver's own display but apparently I do need to use an external display. I was no longer able to continue with the manual because the receiver didn't react the way it should, and I think that's because I left YPAO in an unfinished state. So last night I wheeled my 32" CRT TV out into the living room but it got late and I was tired so that's where I left off.

RR6, I have about 8" clearance above the unit; I never could find in the manual anything that states the recommended amount (thought I read like +12" somewhere), but yes I think some more cutting might be a good idea. Another reason is that the HDMI connections are along the edge of the receiver, which means there'd be a pretty sharp bend in the cables which I don't like. General accesibility would be greatly improved.

One last thing, and this may make you or ... I've had a head cold for nearly a month now and along with this cold I've had a lot of sinus congestion. Along with this congestion I've had what the Dr. says is pressure on some tube in my ear which means right now I can't hear much out of it. It's been driving me !!!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congratulations Rich I hope you enjoy some great sounds. I know what you mean about sinus congestion. I just found the perfect spot for my speakers and was impressed with the sound. Then I realized how clogged my head was and I am wondering if I will be as impressed when all this nasty stuff clears out. Keep us posted when you can hear again.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

old & quite mad
    Oh crap. It looks like they dropped that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by oaqm

Now that is classic.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

phono inputs too

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Four HDMi inputs, cool
    time for a turntable as well
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by oaqm

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Not beyond the realm of possibilities for me oaqm... trust me! And just for that, you owe me a couple Photoshop tutorials! (Wait'll pix gets a load of this )

BRANDONH, I still have my old Pioneer PL-400 TT which I was planning to use with my 2 channel setup that I'm going to work on after this project, but some of the beautiful pieces I've seen on other's setups gives me the itch. Someday...

One last thing, and this may make you or ... I've had a head cold for nearly a month now and along with this cold I've had a lot of sinus congestion. Along with this congestion I've had what the Dr. says is pressure on some tube in my ear which means right now I can't hear much out of it. It's been driving me !!!

ah, welcome to my life...

I have a +- 6db hearing loss at the moment in my left ear only. it's beend riving me too...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    When I get that pressure in my ears to where they feel stopped up, similar to if I was up in an airplane, the only thing that seems to eliminate that is a round of steroids.

Suspended
    Looks like this year's flu shot was a waste of time. It's VERY annoying. My doctor said take some Sudafed or Mucinex; did the Sudafed deal...didn't do squat but I just can't seem to bring myself to try something that you see on TV depicted by talking lugies (greenies) ya know?

Dang Rich!!!! That looks sweet. Not as good as my 2700 but it's OK

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm sick too

Suspended
    If germs can be spread through Cyberspace we know who to blame.

If germs can be spread through Cyberspace we know who to blame.
    Hello Rich!

Thank you for the photo experience. I must say, to take the time to share your purchasing experience with us is exemplary. I'm very happy for you. I hope you find complete satisfaction with the RX-V3800. Your B&W's are gonna sing once you have the system setup to your liking.
    About the ear thing, I remember I for some reason had excessive wax build up deep in my ears and after many attempts of washing out the wax and no success, I went to an ENT doctor and they thoroughly washed and rinsed my ears. The difference was incredible. I started to hear sounds I never knew existed. Especially when listening to music. Because my appreciation for sound quality has grown exponentially, I now make it a point to visit the ENT doctor every 3 months or so.
    Oh yeah, once everything is set up, will you evaluate the DSP modes to see if there has been an improvement in execution over your last Yammie?! Remember that at one time, that was Yamaha's primary weapon, if you will, in their AVR's. Now with the new Hi-Rez formats, the question is whether or not the DSP's have lessened in importance.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Dang Rich!!!! That looks sweet. Not as good as my 2700 but it's OK

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm sick too
    Don't hate L.J.!
    You know that the 3800 is definitely a step above the 2700....a BIG step above!
    Last edited by ldgibson76; 02-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    ldgibson76

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Not beyond the realm of possibilities for me oaqm... trust me! And just for that, you owe me a couple Photoshop tutorials! (Wait'll pix gets a load of this )

BRANDONH, I still have my old Pioneer PL-400 TT which I was planning to use with my 2 channel setup that I'm going to work on after this project, but some of the beautiful pieces I've seen on other's setups gives me the itch. Someday...
    That photo is very disturbing!
    Could you imagine after setting up your new AVR and that happened?! Ballistic doesn't even come close to what my reaction would be!
    ldgibson76

Suspended
    That picture was hilarious. And thank you very much Idgibson for your kind words. After what I went through with this purchase it was certainly comforting to get that kind of response (all going to go to he!! when pixelthis checks in though ).

Suspended

This is where it'll sit in the audio cabinet. I widened the access hole behind it; it took some of the strain off of a couple of IC's, but the unit was still quite warm when I put my hand on the grill after cranking some Pink Floyd in DTS: Neo 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idgibson76
    Oh yeah, once everything is set up, will you evaluate the DSP modes to see if there has been an improvement in execution over your last Yammie?! Remember that at one time, that was Yamaha's primary weapon, if you will, in their AVR's. Now with the new Hi-Rez formats, the question is whether or not the DSP's have lessened in importance.
    I'm going to write about my first impressions in another thread, and I'll address this in it as well.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is where it'll sit in the audio cabinet. I widened the access hole behind it; it took some of the strain off of a couple of IC's, but the unit was still quite warm when I put my hand on the grill after cranking some Pink Floyd in DTS: Neo 6.

I'm going to write about my first impressions in another thread, and I'll address this in it as well.
    You're the man!

Have fun!
    ldgibson76

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information