Forum Regular

What would you do???

I am looking to upgrade some of my equipment. I only have enough money to do a partial upgrade. Want to improve sound quality for movies & music. 60% movies / 40% music.
    Have about $2200 to spend.
    My thoughts were:
    A. New fronts and center. Rears would wait a bit.
    B. Receiver and sub.
    C. Just a better sub.

Here's what I have currently:
    Paradigm Monitor 9seMKII
    Paradigm CC-350
    Paradigm ADP-350
    Klipsch KSW-12
    Denon AVR-2800
    Denon DVD-910
    Toshiba 57" HDTV Rear Projection

What upgrade route would you all take? All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Add new fronts and center. And spare $120 so you can add a parametric EQ to the subwoofer. A lot of the deficiencies that you might hear from you sub are acoustically related. Bass traps and/or parametric EQ are the way to deal with those deficiencies. No matter what model you own, a parametric EQ will almost always give you much improved sound quality for a relatively small investment.

Forum Regular
    Since you use your system 60% of the time for movies I would go with the new receiver and sub, or just a new receiver. The Denon 2800 was a very respectible receiver in its time, but doesn't have the more current features or formats. Current receivers give you a lot more "bang-for-the-buck". You should be able to find excellent AV receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, HK and Marantz in the 100W-130W range which provide an excellent value for less than $1200-$1500. The Klipsch KSW-12 is a decent sub. Unless you feel it's too boomy, or doesn't go deep enough, keep it. Use the remainder of your money for DVDs or music, or purchase one of the universal DVDs with DVD-Audio and SACD. A new receiver and universal DVD will bring your system up to date and allow you to take advantage of more current movie and music formats.

Forum Regular
    How big (dimensions) is your room? Any openings into other rooms? If so, what are there dimensions? What is it about the Paradigms that you do not like or do you find something missing? Do you want to change soley for the sake of change?

I most certainly would upgrade the receiver to either the Yamaha RX-V1400/2400 or Denon AVR-3805. Either one should satisfy you for years to come.

If you were to upgrade the sub, perhaps look at one from SVS or HSU. Wouldn't recommend further because I do not have the room information. First upgrade, however, would be the receiver.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    How big (dimensions) is your room? Any openings into other rooms? If so, what are there dimensions? What is it about the Paradigms that you do not like or do you find something missing? Do you want to change soley for the sake of change?

I most certainly would upgrade the receiver to either the Yamaha RX-V1400/2400 or Denon AVR-3805. Either one should satisfy you for years to come.

If you were to upgrade the sub, perhaps look at one from SVS or HSU. Wouldn't recommend further because I do not have the room information. First upgrade, however, would be the receiver.
    Room is about 14W x 13L x 8H . Full opening to a small kitchen and small dining room. It is a 1 bedroom apartment. I would like to have better imaging, dispersion, better vocals than my current speakers give me, tighter & lower bass on the sub end. Also want the 6.1 or 7.1 capability, component upconversion/switching, and more power, especially if I upgrade speakers now or down the road. Last part of it is the "want" factor to change, but only to improve sound quality.

Forum Regular
    Initially, go with either of the receivers mentioned above. They will change the way your speakers sound. You also will want to play with the placement of the speakers. You can toe them in more towards your listening position. You will want to get a paramatric equalizer, such as the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It goes for about $120. Add to that a sub, such as a Rocket UFW-10 and you should have an excellent start to your next system.

Forum Regular
    I was at a dealer yesterday and they said that moving to a new receiver like a Denon 3805 wouldn't make a ton of difference. He said that speakers would make the most difference to start. I looked at some Paradigm Studio 60s. Any other thoughts from others would be great!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHT
    I was at a dealer yesterday and they said that moving to a new receiver like a Denon 3805 wouldn't make a ton of difference. He said that speakers would make the most difference to start. I looked at some Paradigm Studio 60s. Any other thoughts from others would be great!
    Your "dealer" is as full of it as the proverbial Xmas Goose. So why did he tell you what he did? Simply because he'd stand to make a much better profit from selling you speakers than he would from selling you a receiver - as simple as that. If he in fact believes that what he told you was the plain, unvarnished truth - then he simply doesn't know as much as he should about the business he's in!

The truth of the matter is, that a new receiver such as the Yamaha RX-V1400 or 2400 that sports a feature called YPAO will do more - much more to improve the sound of your system than a speaker "upgrade" is liable to do ... period. I recommend the Yamaha(s) over the comparable (although more expensive) Denon 3805, because I consider Yamaha to be a much better company for the consumer than Denon has become in the past two+ years since the sale of the brand to a group of New York "suits" (investment bankers). The Behringer Feedback Destroyer that others have recommended to you is also a very worthwhile (and cost effective) product to consider.

I suggest that you get the receiver and the BFD eq. and see if those two things don't give you a substantial boost upward - and save you around $1200 of what you said you were willing to spend in the bargain.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    I agree with what many others here have said and so I would just like to chime in that I think the investment in a new receiver (the Yamaha RX-V1400 is a great recommendation) will get you more bang for the buck than the purchase of new speakers. I might feel differently if you had said that your primary interest was music - especially of the hi rez variety - but for theater applications, the upgrade of the mains to the studio series will not make an appreciable or noticeable difference. The higher fidelity and composure of these speakers will sadly be wasted amid the 5.1 theater mix. Now if you were to tell me that your main objective is to get better performance for your 2 channel stereo music listening, then I would whole-heartedly agree with the speaker upgrade. So it really does depend on what your priorities are. Based on your stated objectives, I think the receiver upgrade along eq for the sub makes good sense. I would just add that upgrading the sub itself may also be a worthwhile investment within your budget. Oh... and I agree with Woodman's assessment of your dealer's advice. Best of luck to you.

Q

Forum Regular
    Agreed here. Your local dealer is full of it. The Yamaha 1400/2400 and Denon AVR-3805 have a paramatric equalizer that should improve your speakers and make them more to your liking.

Thread Information