• 02-27-2005, 02:40 AM
    Hero_honda
    smell of burning amplifier help me pls
    HELP ME PLEASE!!!

There is a power shock in my home when i was listening to my music. When my power is back, i turn on my amplifier and i can smell bit of burning inside my amp.. i quickly shut my amp. When i turn on my amp, the power led is on but when i play music... i can;t hear anything.. What is being burned? Im using audiolab 8000A stero amplifier.. I was told this amp for power protection.. what the hell is going on? What to repair normaiillly and how much it cost to repair?
  • 02-27-2005, 03:12 AM
    ruadmaa
    The smell you describe is usually the kiss of death for both hi-fi and computer gear. As to where the damage is and how much it would be to repair, only a qualified repair technician can tell you that. Usually once you get that burnt smell there is nothing more that you can do as a consumer but decide if you are willing to spend a few hundred bucks to get it repaired.
  • 02-27-2005, 04:57 AM
    drseid
    Yes, that smell is indeed the smell of "good bye." :-( It happened to me, with a Legacy Audio (CODA) power amp I got off Audiogon 25 minutes after first use (it *was* a truly great sounding 25 minutes though).

I thought I got The Legacy for a steal, but it looks like the seller may have gotten the better end of the deal. ;-)

Pretty much when you smell that metallic smell unless the amp is really pricey, I am afraid it is time to shop for a replacement.

---Dave
  • 02-27-2005, 07:06 AM
    Hero_honda
    oh bad reply i got from both of you guys! this is such a sad day for me!

one thing im confused is if u say its a goodbye amp why is it when i switch on my amp i could still see the led light on? please comfort me!
  • 02-27-2005, 09:53 AM
    ruadmaa
    All that light is telling you is that the unit is receiving power which has nothing to do with whether it is operating properly or not. You will most likely have to spend at least $100.00 to have anyone look at the unit. Repair costs would depend on the cost of the replacement parts necessary and the amount of hours of labor to track down the trouble and correct it. Only YOU can make that judgement call.
  • 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
    Hero_honda
    Here is a link to show u.. u need to save it and use the magnifiying glass to see my drawings.

no1: it is burned ... that small tiny thing .. i dont know what u called it... its like a fat needle or someything.....

http://yakuzaer.bravehost.com/audiolab1.jpg
  • 02-27-2005, 11:01 AM
    Rock789
    remote imaging now allowed...
    e-mail me the photo...
    Rock789@aol.com
  • 02-27-2005, 11:41 AM
    drseid
    Raudmaa's answer is spot on with respect to the light... After my Legacy amp fried and I turned off the power immediately, that power light stayed on for like 30 minutes longer... I guess the amp had built up a lot of excess power when it got fried... It still did not make it come back to life...

Believe me when I say I am not trying to make you feel worse that I am sure you already do... I really have been there. I just don't want to give you false hope that the amp can be revived easily, as that would be like rubbing salt in the open wound (once you find out the truth and spend a lot of money to even have it looked at).

I really do wish you the best of luck though... I truly hope I am wrong (but don't hold your breath...).

---Dave
  • 02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
    gonefishin
    Sorry to hear your situation HeroHonda :(

Hope things work out for you...

drseid, do you still have the Coda amp?

take care guys,
    dan
  • 02-28-2005, 01:57 PM
    drseid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin
    Sorry to hear your situation HeroHonda :(

Hope things work out for you...

drseid, do you still have the Coda amp?

take care guys,
    dan

Don't ask me why... But I still have not tossed it yet (even though I realize it is not going to get fixed)... I guess it is just for sentimental value...

---Dave