Forum Regular

Should/Do I Need to Buy Another AVR Receiver to Replace My Denon 3802?

I've been using a Denon 3802 AVR Receiver for the last 3 years and it works great & I'm very happy with it. I have an Orb Audio Mod 1 5.1 Speaker System with it and watch DVDs through my HK 31 DVD player & listen to CDs from my Jolida JD-100A Tube CD player & also use a Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 Tube Buffer with it. I'm very happy with my CD sound & pretty happy with my DVD & Digital TV sound.

What I'm wondering however for my DVD & TV 5.1 sound, not so much for my CD sound, is the fact that my Denon 3802 is 5 years old (or perhaps older) & if I would get a noticeably better 5.1 sound for DVD movies & digital TV, from a Receiver that came out in the last year or 2 or will the difference in audio sound be minor at best (Assume I'm not changing my speakers)? I'm not concerned with better features, or my picture or anything, just in noticeably improving 5.1 dolby digital or DTS sound.. Physically my Denon 3802 is in great condition & I've never had any problems with it. I'm also happy with my current speakers & sub & won't be changing them. Please let me know, if you think I'll notice an instant improvement in my sound with a newer AVR & if so, please recommend some specific ones by brand & model #.

I appreciate your input. Honestly, I'd prefer not buying another AVR if the audio improvement will be minor at best. Thanks for your help.

I think you'd be crazy to trade that receiver in for another receiver, if an improvement in sound quality is your only goal. But if you DO decide to replace it, can I buy it?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Forum Regular
    Keep your Denon.By the way is your x-10 needed if you are using a tube cd player?

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Another vote for keeping your Denon.

In my oppinion most of the improvement over the last 5 years have been in video switching, upscaling and connections. There would be very little difference in sound quality.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Another vote for keeping your Denon.

In my oppinion most of the improvement over the last 5 years have been in video switching, upscaling and connections. There would be very little difference in sound quality.
    EXACTLY!

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Suspended
    I don't think anyone would suggest a switch from the information you've given us. Even if you went with a HD disc player down the road, you could still use your current digital inputs and if you have a 5.1 or better analog input you are set. You'll just have to run your video directly to the TV.

I too, thought the buffer with the Jolida might be redundant.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with my Denon 3802 then. In regards to both a tube CD player & my tube buffer, believe it or not, the tube buffer actually improves the sound of the tube CD player as it gives it a much bigger soundstage.

Forum Regular

Denon receiver

I have the denon 4800 receiver which im pretty sure is a few years older than your 3802, It might just be my ears but when comparing it to the new stuff i can hear very little if any difference at all when it comes to 5.1 sound

Quote Originally Posted by Peachesbackwards
    Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with my Denon 3802 then. In regards to both a tube CD player & my tube buffer, believe it or not, the tube buffer actually improves the sound of the tube CD player as it gives it a much bigger soundstage.
    I can believe that.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachesbackwards
    Well that is an odd set up but if it works for you thats all that matters.I have been looking at trying an x-10 with my Moon.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    You can usually find an X-10 V3 Tube Buffer online at Audiogon or Ebay for around $250 including shipping, give or take $20. If someone is selling it used, you need to know that there is a limited tube life on it for about 11,000 hours or so (when powered on). I also got the best results with it using standard acoustic research cables which you can get at Best Buy. When I tried some expensive cables with it, the sound wasn't as good! The AR cables are very Neutral.

Thread Information