drichardson

HT And Vintage Speakers Sucess Stories

I'm driving three Snell E-II/S up front. I've disabled the rear tweeter on the center channel. I've never heard a more balanced system in my life! How many of you out there are driving your front array with matched vintage speakers up front? How does it sound?

Congrats, you've discovered one of those not-so-oft mentioned truths about home theater -- your optimal playback is with three identical speakers up front. Whether vintage or not, you have an ideal timbre match and none of issues associated with horizontal placement whenever you can use identical speakers for the L/C/R channels. The horizontal center speaker is a compromise by necessity. The ideal placement for the center speaker is usually exactly where the TV monitor would typically go in a home theater setup. That's why the horizontal center speaker was created in the first place, and that's why I use a horizontal center speaker in my system. Anytime you have the opportunity to use three identical speakers up front, do it.

drichardson

HT and vintage speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Congrats, you've discovered one of those not-so-oft mentioned truths about home theater -- your optimal playback is with three identical speakers up front. Whether vintage or not, you have an ideal timbre match and none of issues associated with horizontal placement whenever you can use identical speakers for the L/C/R channels. The horizontal center speaker is a compromise by necessity. The ideal placement for the center speaker is usually exactly where the TV monitor would typically go in a home theater setup. That's why the horizontal center speaker was created in the first place, and that's why I use a horizontal center speaker in my system. Anytime you have the opportunity to use three identical speakers up front, do it.

Thanks, you're right - I have none of the compromises upfront. I thought my setup was smooth with a traditional center channel until I bought a used Snell J-III and used it for a center channel - a big difference!. I saw the opprotunity to buy another E-II (a better model than the III's) and the change was dramatic! No matter what, I will stay with three identical speakers in the front array!

Thread Information