Forum Regular

Setup problem (Yamaha DVD-S1500)

I just got a Yamaha DVD Player. I hooked it up by Component to the TV (Sony XBR) and then hooked up a Optical to the reciever for my audio. I also hooked upa single coax for the SACD audio. I am getting sound on my dvd's and cd's but nothing on SACDs. Any ideas??
    Also went into setup and ALL speakers are set to +6. Is that the norm???
    Thanks
    b.

Bob,

SACD and DVD-A require an analog connection. You'll notice RCA jack outputs for two fronts, two rears, a center channel, and a subwoofer on the back of the Yamaha. You have to connect each of them to its corresponding analog input on the back of your receiver, assuming that it's not too old to have them. When you listen to SACDs or DVD-As, you'll have to switch your receiver out of its digital inputs (for PCM, DD, and DTS) and into analog 5.1 mode, for which you should have a button on your remote and/or receiver. These two formats are not normally digital, although a few proprietary schemes exist to transmit them between players and processors.

Although the Yamaha may have default settings for each speaker out of the box, no "norms" exist. You'll have to set the levels for your room by ear or by using an SPL meter (Radio Shack carries inexpensive ones). Follow the instructions in the manual. You're not manual-phobic, are you?

Ed

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Bob,

SACD and DVD-A require an analog connection. You'll notice RCA jack outputs for two fronts, two rears, a center channel, and a subwoofer on the back of the Yamaha. You have to connect each of them to its corresponding analog input on the back of your receiver, assuming that it's not too old to have them. When you listen to SACDs or DVD-As, you'll have to switch your receiver out of its digital inputs (for PCM, DD, and DTS) and into analog 5.1 mode, for which you should have a button on your remote and/or receiver. These two formats are not normally digital, although a few proprietary schemes exist to transmit them between players and processors.

Although the Yamaha may have default settings for each speaker out of the box, no "norms" exist. You'll have to set the levels for your room by ear or by using an SPL meter (Radio Shack carries inexpensive ones). Follow the instructions in the manual. You're not manual-phobic, are you?

Ed
    Thats where I went wrong. I'll have to take a run out to "The Source" (formerly Radio Shack) and pick up some cables.
    My reciever is set to "Auto-Decode" so I should be OK there....hopefully.
    Thanks for the info.
    b.

Bob,

Auto Decode may not apply to analog 5.1, just to the digital stream. You may have to resort to the indignity of manual switching.

Ed

Forum Regular
    LOL
    OK, thanks allot.
    b.

Thread Information