• 03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
    MCF
    Setting up HT with SPL Meter Question
    Is the use of an SPL meter really necessary when setting up your HT? If so, should the sound level between the FL, FR, SL and SR speakers all be the same or should I bump up the surround speakers a dbl or two? I am currently using the built in test tones of my Harman Kardon and the supplied micophone to do the auto setup, but would using an SPL meter with an AVIA DVD provide better results when setting gains manually?
  • 03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MCF
    Is the use of an SPL meter really necessary when setting up your HT? If so, should the sound level between the FL, FR, SL and SR speakers all be the same or should I bump up the surround speakers a dbl or two? I am currently using the built in test tones of my Harman Kardon and the supplied micophone to do the auto setup, but would using an SPL meter with an AVIA DVD provide better results when setting gains manually?

A SPL meter is vital to setting up your system. The sound level from all channels(with the exception of the sub) should be the same(75db). The sub should be set to around 78-81db depending on your appetite for bass.
  • 03-21-2005, 07:32 PM
    Breezer88888
    Hey MCF,
    An SPL meter is a definite requirement. Avia is a nice calibration DVD. After you've balanced out all the channels, then you can choose to exaggerate the surround effects if you wish. I flip flop between balanced and pushing the rear centers a db or two. It makes you believe in the DD 6.1 or DTSES movies out there.
    Breezer
  • 04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
    techgeek42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MCF

I found a great article about SPL calibration at one of my new favorite sites TechLore ( www.techlore.com ). Here's a link to the article: http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/
  • 04-08-2005, 03:53 PM
    hershon
    Hey Mr. $10,000 System Man!
    Recommend you read the earlier posts on this, buyer beware! Setting up the sound levels is fine but just realise they're not global, based on the concensus of this board- the Tribe has spoken- & what's good for playing DVD's may not be good for playing Cd's! Recommend you
    keep sperate records of different settings for different modes/inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCF

• 04-09-2005, 07:34 AM
    MCF
    Hershon...
    Why don't you look at the date of my original post....over a week ago I already calibrated my system using an SPL meter....no offense, but you are an idiot...feel free to never post any of your useless advice to any of my posts again.
  • 04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
    MCF
    Secondly Hershon....
    The fact that you are on-line on a Saturday morning is sad...the only reason I am on-line is because I am at work.......sad.
  • 04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
    hershon
    MCF You're the Ignorant One
    I hereby ban you from responding to any of my posts as you're not worthy. Take a hike, son.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCF
    Why don't you look at the date of my original post....over a week ago I already calibrated my system using an SPL meter....no offense, but you are an idiot...feel free to never post any of your useless advice to any of my posts again.

• 04-09-2005, 07:55 AM
    MCF
    I thought I made myself clear....
    DON'T REPLY TO THIS FORUM ANYMORE AS IT'S MINE...OLD MAN....I got into Home Theatre three weeks ago and from reading your posts and questions, I know more about it than you ever will. As your idol Napolean Dynomite would say, "IDIOT!!"
  • 04-09-2005, 08:05 AM
    hershon
    Is English a Second Language For You, What part Do You Not Understand?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MCF
    DON'T REPLY TO THIS FORUM ANYMORE AS IT'S MINE...OLD MAN....I got into Home Theatre three weeks ago and from reading your posts and questions, I know more about it than you ever will. As your idol Napolean Dynomite would say, "IDIOT!!"

As reiterated earlier, which gives me full squatters rights, I stated "I hereby ban you from responding to any of my posts as you're not worthy. Take a hike, son." What part do you not understand? The "I". The "hereby" The "ban"? Go Awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
  • 04-09-2005, 08:05 AM
    shokhead
    MCF,go screw. This is an open public forum and some of us are not as smart as you think you are so let us learn from your wisdom oh great one,please.
  • 04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
    MCF
    Shokhead.....
    Hmmmm...interesting...you really had to think a while for that one...you just ruined my whole weekend...now I am sobbing!!
  • 04-09-2005, 09:34 AM
    shokhead
    Nope,only took a second,thats pretty good for me. What i'm saying just incase you didnt understand is its not your place to tell anyone not to use this public forum. If the info is wrong,correct it and trust me,others will jump in.
  • 04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
    paul_pci
    I would prefer that both stay and keep going at it because this is just too funny. And considering the quality of Saturday Night Live, this may be the only humor I get on Sats.
  • 04-09-2005, 09:54 AM
    LEAFS264
    children, please!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets knock this HIGH SCHOOL crap off. I have found on my short time here on this form, that both of you have helped me when ever i needed advice. The fact that people even the time to post back answers to either of your earlier questions should never be responed to with ATTITUDE AND IGNORANCE from anyone, no matter what you think of the response!
    Kiss and Make up!!!

Jay
  • 04-09-2005, 10:35 AM
    shokhead
    Sir T had it right but I set my surrounds a db less because they are close to me and my sub abit heavy because i like bass. Set everything at 75 or whatever as long as its the same,listen to something and adjust if needed.
  • 04-09-2005, 10:44 AM
    MCF
    To each his own...
    I set my fronts, back and center the same (80dB) and my surronds a dB or 2 higher and my sub about 4-5 dB higher with master volume at 0....but fiddling with always seems to make it sound better...must have to do with the air temperature.....(cooler air - more dense - better sound travel....hehe).....whatever sounds good to you....don't let a 'standard' dictate what you should set any speaker at....I have learned that I get used to mine and go to someone elses house and find I don't like theirs and vice versa...point is, get YOUR system to your liking....but, for starters, I would set all speakers the same and the sub about 4dB higher and go from there.

I will be the bigger man (even though I am only 14, uh, going on 33) and apologize for anyone I offended with my previous derogatory remarks....however, HERSHON STARTED IT...hehe, just kidding!
  • 04-10-2005, 05:06 AM
    Eric Z
    I agree with paul_pci- this is some pretty funny stuff. I never thought I'd see so many "cyber fights!"