MCF
    Forum Regular

DVD Shrink and Nero...

What do these two programs allow you to do?

Forum Regular
    Nero is the basic commercial program you need to burn DVD's in the first place. I'd recommend that over any other program. Without Nero or a similar program you can't do anything. Nero also lets you burn CD's. DVD Shrink is a free online program, that enables you to: 1. Make Backups of Most Commercial DVDs, 2. I think Converts DVDs if you set them up this way to Region 0 format which means they'll play on both PAL & NTSC players (at least it does this with "DVD Region + CSS Free" Software- see below), 3. Compresses backup DVDs so you can get more then 2 hours of material on them. Commercial DVDs have been made harder to backup because of added protection which makes DVD Shrink not work in I'm guessing 15% of the time however if you also add the commercial program found online called "DVD Region + CSS Free", you will be able to backup 100% any commercial DVD.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks.....

I am traveling over to Europe and was wondering what I needed to do in order to be able to watch my DVD's while there....I am taking a laptop, but hopefully I will be able to get a DVD player and tv there to allow me to watch DVD's...any thoughts?

Suspended
    From what I understand the majority of DVD players in Europe are both NTSC and PAL compatible. As far as ShrinkDVD is concerned it's considered to be a "one-click" DVD ripping program. In most cases it is able to remove copy protection as well as transcode (compress) a DVD so a dual layer can fit on a DVD5 single layer DVD. It also allows removal of unwanted data such as second language stream, previews, menus, audio streams. The more unwanted features remove the better the quality (less compression).

AR Newbie Registered Member
    You can probably get the additional 15% EdwardGein was talking about by using DVD Decryptor. Which is freeware. It will also burn DVD's for you and integrates with DVD Shrink to allow burning from that program.

Forum Regular
    Hate to burst your bubble but according to the forums online where I found out about arcoss protection which prevents DVD Shrink from making back-ups, DVD decrypter will also not work because of this protection.

Suspended
    There are several different versions of ARccOS some software packages are able to handle it better than others.DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in over a year due to Macrovision/Ripguard's legal action against the developer. AnyDVD is constantly updating their software to accomodate the different versions of many copy protections as they come along. It's a constant battle. Usually, if it can be encrypted, it can be decrypted. The main purpose for copy protection is against the one-button programs the average consumer can use easily. They don't really care about the hackers who want to spend hours and use sevreal programs to copy a rented DVD.

Forum Regular
    I meant to say that the combination of DVD Shrink (free online) & DVD Region Free (commercial download) currently gives you a 100% success rate. If you don't have DVD Region + CSS Free, the 15% or so DVDs with arccos protection, will prevent you from making a successful back-up. I'm sure that there are other programs as well that will let you do this but in all likelyhood they will be commercial (in regards to doing stuff like arccos) etc.

I use DVD Shrink and DVD43 in the background. This handles 99% of all the movies have have done. The other 1% is done by DVD Decrypter. I hate to burst your bubble but the forums will tell you that you don't need to spend money to get programs that will work.

Forum Regular
    Dream on Jeff Knob You live in an imaginary world & give people bad advice. Go ahead Jeff Knob and try to make a back-up of say albeit it was a lousy movie "Dark Water". You won't be able to do it with your existing set up. You shouldn't mislead people on what you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Dream on Jeff Knob You live in an imaginary world & give people bad advice. Go ahead Jeff Knob and try to make a back-up of say albeit it was a lousy movie "Dark Water". You won't be able to do it with your existing set up. You shouldn't mislead people on what you don't know
    With as many questions that you ask on this subject, one can definitely know you are no expert. I was simply saying what I use and I have had absolutely no problems. It is free unlike your setup. There was no need for your comments as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    I did Dark Water fine with just DVD Shrink.

Forum Regular

What Can I Say But Your A Genious

What can I say but you're a genious & the only person on the planet Earth who can use DVD Shrink without any other software & make a back-up of Dark Water (the one with Jeniffer Conelly) even though it has arccos protection & DVD Shrink doesn't work with Arccos Protection.

Forum Regular
    Just a dumb question from someone that knows nothing about burning dvd's.Do you still get 5.1 sound on the burnt copy.

thanks
    bill

Forum Regular

On a DVD Computer Burner You Do, I Don't think so on Stand Alone

On a Computer DVD Burner you get 5.1 sound, assuming that's on the software program you use. I don't think you can get 5.1 sound on a stand alone DVD recorder, or at least I haven't seen one that does. For a Computer DVD burner (if you don't have an internal one, you can get an external one that you can attach by USB for a fairly low price), you need a basic comercial burning program like Nero (which also burns CD's) & a program such as DVD Shrink lets you record in 5.1 Programs like DVD Shrink also do the interactive menus etc. It's called Shrink because it will compress info more then 2 hours automatically into a 2 hour DVDR- people like NABsentia notice this- that wasn't meant as a put down but I don't notice the difference in the compressed sound or picture. You don't need compression if say you just want to back up say a 90 minute movie without the extras. Standalone DVD Recorders are for the most part alot bigger but convenient when you want to make DVDs from VCRsm DVRs & Camcorders. I have both. You can get a good external DVD Recorder new on Ebay with Nero or some other brands software between $75- $125 & a decent stand alone for $100-$150. I'd recommend getting warranties though because DVD Recorders break down like VCRs use too.

Actually what Ed says makes sense!

Using Shrink, it preserves all the audio soundtracks. You can remove whichever ones you don't want which saves space and allows for less compression. In fact I just do the re-author fuction which strips it down to nothing but the movie and allows for the best quality. Just put it in and play..no ads, no trailers, no extra junk to skip through, no useless menus..just the movie!

Thread Information