AR Newbie Registered Member

Sony STR-DA3400ES worth the extra cash over a 2400ES?

I currently have a 5 or 6 year old STR-DE995 that doesn't have any HDMI inputs. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player and a Sony tv, so I would like to get a newer Sony receiver to take advantage of Bravia Sync, the xross media bar, and of course, HDMI switching. My question is: I am mostly considering the 3400 over the 2400 for the xross media bar. I really like it on my tv and blu-ray player, but I can't help wondering if I'll use it enough to justify the extra cost. After all, the 2400 has an on-screen menu, but maybe it isn't as user friendly as the xross menu on the 3400.
    Anyone have any time with both of these receivers?

how often are you going to be using the XMB on the receiver? how often do you change settings on a receiver?

other than changing the input and adjusting the volume there isnt much you'd likely be doing.

i looked them up quickly and dont see much of a difference to justify spending the extra $300
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I tried out the 3400 ES for a while. It didn't handle video very well so it went back. The 2400ES has a second zone, which might be important to you. If it isn't, the GUI upgrade alone wouldn't justify the price differential IMO. Otherwise they seem to be exactly the same.

Thread Information