Screen burn in! What to do with it?

My brother has a 48 inch Mitsubishi rear projection TV with the local channels number and letters burned into the screen. Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem? Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Forum Regular
    It is not actually burned into the screen, it is burned into one or more of the guns.As far as i know the only way to fix it is to replace the gun or guns or the tv as replacing one of the 3 guns is very expensive.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    It is not actually burned into the screen, it is burned into one or more of the guns.As far as i know the only way to fix it is to replace the gun or guns or the tv as replacing one of the 3 guns is very expensive.

bill

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that there wasn't going to be anything he could do but I just had to ask and make sure. Thanks, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Thanks for the info. I was afraid that there wasn't going to be anything he could do but I just had to ask and make sure. Thanks, Jeff
    There ISNT anything he can do.
    The repair price is higher than the replacement price, you can get a crt HDTV
    for around 900 bucks, it'll cost at least half that to fix this set, since you'll have to replace all three guns, because I can guareentee ya all three have burn in and if they dont
    protocols call for replacing all three , because if you replace one it will be hard to match with two older ones.
    YOU MIGHT find someone who wont care much if you lower the price (a lot) and get a few bucks outta it that way.
    But theres no way this set is worth fixing.
    Sorry
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

put it in the basement..... it'll give you something to watch the big game on during the poker party..... My neighbor has an old big-screen (nothing wrong with it) that he keeps in his garage for poker parties, etc. I don't think he wife likes having it there, but he has it on a platform, with a pulley system to keep it out of the way when not in use.... His garage isn't heated, so moisture, etc. I'm sure will become a problem, but if you don't care about it, that's another thing!

Thanks for the replies. I'll give him the bad news, Jeff

Thread Information