Forum Regular

Should I upgrade my receiver??

Hey guys! New guy here from GA. Really nice site by the way!! I just purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma last week from BB and I've been really pleased with it so far. I'm thinking about buying a PS3 for minor gaming and the BR player. Should I upgrade the current receiver I have?? This is the system I'm runnin.

42" Panasonic Plasma
    5.1 Polk surround w/ Sony powered 12
    Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/rev...specs4829.html

I'm really new to home theater and don't know much about it so any help would be great. I'm not looking for anything to blow me through the wall either! It sounds good to me now. Just wondering if I would see a difference with an upgrade?? Thanks, Wes

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Wes,

Welcome to the forum.

Quo vadimus baby, where are we going? What are you looking to accomplish by this potential upgrade?

The only serious reason I can think of to upgrade would be a lack of connections. If you are planning on using the PS3 as a one source universal player you should be alright. Just send the video to the tele via the hdmi and audio to the receiver with an optical cable.

Now if you're asking if there are receivers out there with better amp sections, then the answer is "yes". But, right now you have what appears on paper to be a decent HT system for a guy who doesn't want to be blown through a wall and the Polks are an easy push.

I suppose if you wanted to get into serious analog playback or move into a set of hard-to-drive speakers the answer would differ but for now just enjoy.

Peace

Forum Regular
    Only thing is that you will not get the new audio formats from Bluray films.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Wes,

Welcome to the forum.

Quo vadimus baby, where are we going? What are you looking to accomplish by this potential upgrade?

The only serious reason I can think of to upgrade would be a lack of connections. If you are planning on using the PS3 as a one source universal player you should be alright. Just send the video to the tele via the hdmi and audio to the receiver with an optical cable.

Now if you're asking if there are receivers out there with better amp sections, then the answer is "yes". But, right now you have what appears on paper to be a decent HT system for a guy who doesn't want to be blown through a wall and the Polks are an easy push.

I suppose if you wanted to get into serious analog playback or move into a set of hard-to-drive speakers the answer would differ but for now just enjoy.

Peace

Thanks Bob,

Just the answer I was looking for. I currently have an optical cable from my receiver to the TV. So PS3 via HDMI to TV and should be good right?

Forum Regular
    You must run a coax or optical if you wish from PS3 to reciever.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    I thought the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV will carry the pic and sound?? Sorry, I'm just new to all this. So, what audio will I loose? BluRay will still do 5.1 and DTS right?

Forum Regular
    It will get sound to the tv but you need to get sound to the reciever.Bluray is capable of those formats but it is also capable of new sound formats that are as much better as high def video is to standard def.They are called uncompressed PCM and DTS and DD have versions as well,none of which you would be able to hear from the PS3 without an HDMI reciever.Coax will only carry regular DD or DTS.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    It will get sound to the tv but you need to get sound to the reciever.Bluray is capable of those formats but it is also capable of new sound formats that are as much better as high def video is to standard def.They are called uncompressed PCM and DTS and DD have versions as well,none of which you would be able to hear from the PS3 without an HDMI reciever.Coax will only carry regular DD or DTS.

bill

So since I don't have an HDMI receiver now, the sound will be the same basically? If thats true, that will be fine.

Forum Regular
    It will be the same,but you still do need a cable from PS3 to reciever.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wmflyfisher
    Hey guys! New guy here from GA. Really nice site by the way!! I just purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma last week from BB and I've been really pleased with it so far. I'm thinking about buying a PS3 for minor gaming and the BR player. Should I upgrade the current receiver I have?? This is the system I'm runnin.

42" Panasonic Plasma
    5.1 Polk surround w/ Sony powered 12
    Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/rev...specs4829.html

I'm really new to home theater and don't know much about it so any help would be great. I'm not looking for anything to blow me through the wall either! It sounds good to me now. Just wondering if I would see a difference with an upgrade?? Thanks, Wes
    You will see a difference with an upgrade.
    BUT WHILE SOME POO-POO Panny products, they used to make the technics line
    of audio equipment, might still be making it, just haven't seen any.
    But just about anything from onkyo, denon, yamaha, etc, will blow its doors off, probably,
    the question is, do you need the extra performance?.
    GIVE A FEW A LISTEN, but be warned, getting hooked on this stuff is easy, and it can be expensive
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Yea remember to alway have a budget in mind and the most expensive might not always be the best for your situation.

Thread Information