Forum Regular

S Video question

I appologize as this has been asked and answered several times but I don't remember the answer. To connect my DVD picture to my HD TV will I get basically the same picture on an S Video cable as I would a more expensive component cable? I have an S Video cable on hand, but if the difference is relatively minor, not night & day, I'd rather not buy a component cable. My sound is going through my DVDReceiver so that is not an issue here in response to component cable for the DVD audio. Your help appreciated.

Forum Regular

Talking

Hi.. I went from S-video to a progressive scan DVD machine and component video cables and the picture Is Much better, , Im glad I switched.. you dont have to spend huge bucks to go to component video, but you will need an audio cable,, I went the optical cable and I like it. those are my thoughts
    Dale M

DIYaudiophilehack
    If you're on a tight budget Wal-Mart has component video cables for $9.99.

Forum Regular

Dale a further question for you

Looks like I'm going to check on the component video cable, thanks for your input (no pun intended!). As far as the component audio I'm a little confused here or maybe my post was unclear. My receiver has a built in progressive scan DVD player and therefore the audio is going straight to my 5 satellite speakers & sub connected by 16 gauge speaker wire. Given that why would I need component audio cables?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Hi.. I went from S-video to a progressive scan DVD machine and component video cables and the picture Is Much better, , Im glad I switched.. you dont have to spend huge bucks to go to component video, but you will need an audio cable,, I went the optical cable and I like it. those are my thoughts
    Dale M

Lightbulb S Video

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Looks like I'm going to check on the component video cable, thanks for your input (no pun intended!). As far as the component audio I'm a little confused here or maybe my post was unclear. My receiver has a built in progressive scan DVD player and therefore the audio is going straight to my 5 satellite speakers & sub connected by 16 gauge speaker wire. Given that why would I need component audio cables?
    Your receiver as to be plug in your television for picture with either an digital optical wire or s video cable for the best picture !Pat.P

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon

I missed the part that your DVD is built in to you receiver, So you dont need to worry about audio going to the receiver then, My tv is a 53 in RPTV and going from S video to component made a worthwhile improvement,,
    Dale M

Forum Regular
    I appreciate you guys help and again its probably my fault that I'm not doing the best job in the world articulating my system. I have HD Ready TV and use component cables to connect my TV to the HD receiver supplied by the cable company. My receiver has a progressive scan DVD player built in. Right now I have the DVD picture connected by S video cable. The sound coming from the DVD is from the receivers speakers connected by speaker wire. As an aside the sound coming from Tv programs is connected by analogue RCA cables from my TV monitor output to my receiver TV audio in- I get for some reason better TV sound using cheap RCA cables then much better cable.

The one thing I've picked up on is that I should connect my DVD picture to the TV by a component cable.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Your receiver as to be plug in your television for picture with either an digital optical wire or s video cable for the best picture !Pat.P

S Video

[The one thing I've picked up on is that I should connect my DVD picture to the TV by a component cable.[/QUOTE]
    If your television as the S video or the optical input your manual will tell you the one that would be better for picture quality ! Pat.P

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    If your television as the S video or the optical input your manual will tell you the one that would be better for picture quality ! Pat.P
    Optical has nothing to do with video at all. It's for digital audio only.

S-video carries interlaced video only. If you want to use a DVD player's on board progressive scan circuitry you must employ the component video output (or DVI or HDMI if both the DVD player and video display has them).

S-video and component video do not carry audio signals.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Lightbulb S video question

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Optical has nothing to do with video at all. It's for digital audio only.

S-video carries interlaced video only. If you want to use a DVD player's on board progressive scan circuitry you must employ the component video output (or DVI or HDMI if both the DVD player and video display has them).

S-video and component video do not carry audio signals.
    Thanks for correcting me on the optical cable (audio not video) Yes he should use the component video! Im starting to loose it (maybe Alzheimer ) !!!! PAt.P

Hey Pat P. just an observation and a question! Why do you end all of your sentences with an exclamation point! Just curious!

Talking Exclamation point!

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Hey Pat P. just an observation and a question! Why do you end all of your sentences with an exclamation point! Just curious!
    Probably the french in me ! Dont know ,talk like this also always making a point!having four children ranging from 24years old down to 7 years old + 5 grandchildren will also talk in exclamation mark ! Pat .P

It all makes sense now!

Question Make sense now!

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    It all makes sense now!

And having a EX Wife ! Being landlord to one of my daughter thats with a looser will make you talk in exclamation! Pat.P

Thread Information