Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If all I ever listened to were the DSP modes then I would say that they sound fantastic. It wasn't until I switched back and forth a few times that I noticed how much better the Straight mode sounded to me. I never use Pure mode though because of how harsh it becomes in my room. I need the EQ to chop off a couple of spikes around 4300 and 6500 htz.

How about you? What modes do you use the most and why?
    Music = Straight/Direct/Pure depending on my mood - straight is my favorite cause it sounds so good with the subs.

I really enjoy the theater DSP's on the Yammies. They are so much better than the crap that my other receivers had. I use these at least half the time, but I try and listen to a good special effect laden movie with just standard 5.1 processing. There's something very different about home theater and I think it just comes down to size - your room is much, much smaller. A good DSP doesn't fully recreate the large scale experience, but it's a step closer IMO.

I use PL IIx for all non 5.1 TV sources though. DTS Neo 6 does something similar, but IMO isn't as good. Dunno why. DTS blows the snot out of Dolby in straight 5.1 processing.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang
    You need to run that YPAO again. Your mic should be set at the listening position. I'm running an RX-V1400 with YPAO with excellent results. I think that might explain your speaker phase and distance issues. You should become more familiar with the owner's manual. There is alot of information in there. You should still use that tripod, just keep the legs short and park it right where you'd park yourself. That 3800 is a sweet unit.
    You can count on it mustang! (Can't believe I just typed mustang. Speedy, come over here and shoot me!) Nothing personal dude.

I'm spending a LOT more time with the users manual because yes, it's packed with useful info (Much more useful than what I get from L.J. ). I D/L'ed it and I use Adobe Reader to get me where I need to go when I have a problem or question about something I'm trying to do.

I should have corrected myself earlier. I mounted the mic on the tripod then placed it at the top of the equalateral triangle, ear height, which is coincedentally just about at my normal listening position. I'm curious to see if the results still indicate an 80' distance for my left surround speaker though. There was nothing blocking it from the mic.

Oh, forgot to mention... That is one gargantious CC speaker!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You can count on it mustang! (Can't believe I just typed mustang. Speedy, come over here and shoot me!) Nothing personal dude.

Oh, forgot to mention... That is one gargantious CC speaker!
    To each his own. Either way, there's nothing like an American V8. Center speaker is DIY with dual Dayton 8" DVC subwoofers, dual Dayton 5 1/4" mids, and a Dayton tweeter from Parts-Express.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RX-V3800 first impressions-02side.jpg   RX-V3800 first impressions-ottocenter.jpg  

Suspended
    Any time I go to Parts Express homepage I'm tantalized by their DIY speaker kits. I want to try to repair my old Pioneer "Sonic" speakers circa late 70's for my two channel room, but i I can't I'd certainly consider the DIY route.

BTW, my first speaker DIY was with a speaker out of an old TV mounted in a shoebox. I was very proud of that accomplishment. (That's a hint GM... take heed!)

Any time I go to Parts Express homepage I'm tantalized by their DIY speaker kits. I want to try to repair my old Pioneer "Sonic" speakers circa late 70's for my two channel room, but i I can't I'd certainly consider the DIY route.

BTW, my first speaker DIY was with a speaker out of an old TV mounted in a shoebox. I was very proud of that accomplishment. (That's a hint GM... take heed!)
    I don't get it. I must be slipping.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Sorry. I had you mistaken for pix. Don't know what I was thinking.

That hurt.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Sorry. I had you mistaken for pix. Don't know what I was thinking.
    We all have our little lapses.
    We're easy to tell apart. My I.Q is a lot higher than your average shrub.
    And acrobat is a usefull tool, but its sad that you have to have a computer to understand the owners manuel (how do you get it into the bathroom, is it a laptop)?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    When oh LORD are you going to start spelling m-a-n-u-A-l right.

I get into the bathroom on my wheelchair, how else?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    We all have our little lapses.
    We're easy to tell apart. My I.Q is a lot higher than your average shrub.
    And acrobat is a usefull tool, but its sad that you have to have a computer to understand the owners manuel (how do you get it into the bathroom, is it a laptop)?
    Please don't call me a shrub. Not unless you want to trim me.

Oh, and my IQ is a lot higher than I would have ever guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Really, why are looking at a 3800 or z11?
    niether..lol we just got the yamaha account at work so i am getting test units to fiddle around with so i can sell/install easier.

cheers: dazza

i would say shrub is a pretty good description of mine. in fact i couldn't even spell I.Q so i copied it off previous points so i hope it is right.

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    niether..lol we just got the yamaha account at work so i am getting test units to fiddle around with so i can sell/install easier.

I was just curious. I didn't find too many difference between the 2700/3800 besides the price. HD audio decoding was the biggest difference. Rich came out good though since he paid almost what I did for my 2700

Suspended
    Dream Theater's "Systematic Chaos" got the nod last night, and I listened in it's Dolby Digital 5.1 native format. First, two slightly OT observations:
    1.) Mike Portnoy is like a percussionist on Steroids. The guy is just unbelievable. He can do more with his two feet than three drummers can do with their hands!
    2.) While sitting there enjoying the tunes, my room became dimmer. I looked over at the light (it's a pole lamp with five bulbs that I have pointed up and reflecting against the wall) and saw that three bulbs were out. Now, I'm not going to say it was because of the drums and the volume, it could just be that they were on their way out anyway. Begs the question though, at least in my mind... is this amount of power capable of breaking filaments in incandesant light bulbs?

Anyway, I played around a bit with the different DSP modes while listening: "Live/Club" and then the individual clubs: "The Roxy", "Village Vanguard", "The Bottom Line", and although I could tell that I was hearing what a live rendition of the album would sound like, I couldn't really distinguish between each of them. BUT, if my hearing was back to normal and all of my room treatments were in place I'm willing to bet there would be a discernible difference.

I went back to DD and was quite happy with how well the receiver reproduced all of the instruments across all 6 channels as intended by the "Enhanced" recording. I could easily make out a piano passage coming from the rear left, voices during the song "Repentance" coming from 4 channels all at once and then individual channels all around the room, and the punch from the drums throughout the entire CD.

Something I noticed is that with this DD CD, I wasn't able to change the surround decode to DTS. That tells me the decoders don't/won't convert one surround format to another, correct? Also, I wasn't able to use 3D DSP, but I think I read that it's only available when the Presence speakers are connected.

Bottom line: A very enjoyable audition last night.

Suspended
    I was just curious. I didn't find too many difference between the 2700/3800 besides the price. HD audio decoding was the biggest difference. Rich came out good though since he paid almost what I did for my 2700
    If I could afford to fly you down here to Dallas L.J. I'd treat you to the biggest steak these hillbillies have to offer. Trust me on that one! There are some great steakhouses here.

OTOH, I'd probably start hearing a bunch of whining from the likes of GM, sticks, Mr. P.... and the list goes on and on.

If I could afford to fly you down here to Dallas L.J. I'd treat you to the biggest steak these hillbillies have to offer. Trust me on that one! There are some great steakhouses here.

OTOH, I'd probably start hearing a bunch of whining from the likes of GM, sticks, Mr. P.... and the list goes on and on.
    You guys are making me hungry.
    hmmmmm There's a place not far from here that makes a prim rib so big that one serving could feed 4 very hungry, very big men. I may have to swing by on the way home (if the snow isn't too bad by then).

Hey Rich!

Have you ever eaten at "Cool River"?! The last time I was in Dallas, I discovered that "Sullivan's" is top shelf down there. Up here in the Northeast, it falls in between Outback and Ruth Chris. And let's not even talk about the Gentlemen clubs down there. Even the steaks prepared in some of those establishments are considered 4 and 5 star!
    Dude, we have to talk!
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    Hey Rich!

Have you ever eaten at "Cool River"?! The last time I was in Dallas, I discovered that "Sullivan's" is top shelf down there. Up here in the Northeast, it falls in between Outback and Ruth Chris. And let's not even talk about the Gentlemen clubs down there. Even the steaks prepared in some of those establishments are considered 4 and 5 star!
    Dude, we have to talk!
    Get me tickets to the NASCAR race in Dover and we'll talk.

Suspended
    Seriously though, I'm certain I drove past Cool River just the other day. I think it's in Addison... or Carrollton. Fogo De Chao is the hot spot for steaks these days, which is in Addison. I've already dispersed my profit sharing deposit so I'll have to wait until next year before I can visit restaurants with those kinds of price tags though. On a side note... Angus Ribeyes and Sirloin steaks are priced at $11 - 12/lb in the grocery stores. That's right, 12 bucks a pound... in Texas. WTF???

yeah i agree i was pi$$ed when that came out at the same price as i paid for mine, but i wouldnt trade my 2700. it is trully an awesome amp or the price. interestingly yamaha have responded to onkyo's 605 by making their entire range hdmi ready. the new range from the little baby entry level amp right through to the top amps... and all at the same price as old series.
    but rich is safe, they havent upgraded the 1800 or 3800 amps

what kind of music is "systematic chaos"?
    are steak houses over there like the ones in the movies? when i hear about steakhouses all i canthink of is the one in the john candy movie : 'great outdoors" when he ordered "the ol' 49er" , a massive steak the size of a dinner plate.

cheers:dazza

Cool

Dream Theater's "Systematic Chaos" got the nod last night, and I listened in it's Dolby Digital 5.1 native format. First, two slightly OT observations:
    1.) Mike Portnoy is like a percussionist on Steroids. The guy is just unbelievable. He can do more with his two feet than three drummers can do with their hands!
    2.) While sitting there enjoying the tunes, my room became dimmer. I looked over at the light (it's a pole lamp with five bulbs that I have pointed up and reflecting against the wall) and saw that three bulbs were out. Now, I'm not going to say it was because of the drums and the volume, it could just be that they were on their way out anyway. Begs the question though, at least in my mind... is this amount of power capable of breaking filaments in incandesant light bulbs?

Anyway, I played around a bit with the different DSP modes while listening: "Live/Club" and then the individual clubs: "The Roxy", "Village Vanguard", "The Bottom Line", and although I could tell that I was hearing what a live rendition of the album would sound like, I couldn't really distinguish between each of them. BUT, if my hearing was back to normal and all of my room treatments were in place I'm willing to bet there would be a discernible difference.

I went back to DD and was quite happy with how well the receiver reproduced all of the instruments across all 6 channels as intended by the "Enhanced" recording. I could easily make out a piano passage coming from the rear left, voices during the song "Repentance" coming from 4 channels all at once and then individual channels all around the room, and the punch from the drums throughout the entire CD.

Something I noticed is that with this DD CD, I wasn't able to change the surround decode to DTS. That tells me the decoders don't/won't convert one surround format to another, correct? Also, I wasn't able to use 3D DSP, but I think I read that it's only available when the Presence speakers are connected.

Bottom line: A very enjoyable audition last night.
    Correct.
    If you have a 2 channel track on this disc you can use DTS neo on it.
    But you can't convert DD to DTS.
    And I read an article from this archaic thing called a Magazine about how Yamaha worked so hard on those modes. I couldnt tell the diff in them either.
    Oh, and us hicks are the ones that invented steak, BTW.

AND I dont think you will have anything to worry about on the heat issue, a lot of these newer receivers run a tad "hot", like that Walker chic in Body Heat
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    what kind of music is "systematic chaos"?
    I call it heavy metal, but Dream Theater purists would probably clobber me for saying that. You can sample it on Amazon (I assume you can do that in Australia as well), and I purchased the "Special Edition" in Dolby Digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggity
    are steak houses over there like the ones in the movies? when i hear about steakhouses all i canthink of is the one in the john candy movie : 'great outdoors" when he ordered "the ol' 49er" , a massive steak the size of a dinner plate.

cheers:dazza
    Yes, you can get steaks here that'll hang off the plate. I can't remember the name of it, but when you come into this particular restaurant, and you're wearing a tie the hostess attempts to cut it off (I think the idea there is that you'll ruin your tie anyway from dipping it in your steak). You sit at picnic tables, there are attractions for the kiddies, and you can spend hours there eating. I think I mentioned earlier that steak prices are up around $12.00/lb, so Im betting places like that are suffering right now.

Edit: The name of the restuarant is Trail Dust, and they have cut off ties hanging on the walls.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 03-03-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    And I read an article from this archaic thing called a Magazine
    In the latest (I think) issue of S&V magazine, there's a feature article that lists some info about the "Editors Choice Awards" for different categories of home A/V, and it seems like, at least in the receiver awards section they picked 2 - 3 receivers as the best. I thought the idea here was to have only one winner? Thruthfully I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with this particular rag because it seems like they're just a storefront for the manufacturers...etc. that advertise in them. I know the big full page ad for the Def Tech towers by heart. Can't miss it. It's on page 3. Every issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by pix
    about how Yamaha worked so hard on those modes. I couldnt tell the diff in them either.
    I mentioned my current conditions (room treatments, hearing problems), and I'm sure that if Yamaha went to the work to incorporate these theater experiences into a DSP, the difference will be noticable to me... eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by pix
    Oh, and us hicks are the ones that invented steak, BTW.
    Oh. I thought it was God who did that.

Quote Originally Posted by pic
    AND I dont think you will have anything to worry about on the heat issue, a lot of these newer receivers run a tad "hot", like that Walker chic in Body Heat
    No harm in trying to extend it's life though right?

Suspended

Quick update

I completed all necessary in-wall and speaker cable wiring last night, so all but the furniture and some more acuostic panels are in place. I've laid out the speakers as advised here and I think the sub is where it needs to be. I have all of my components connected, with my FIOS DVR connected via HDMI through the receiver, and while watching Terminator: SCC last night I heard a major audio improvement over my old setup.

I'll be starting another thread soon that'll include a room diagram which is a revision of the previously posted one, and I'll also include some of the finer details of the room construction like the completed wall plates w/connections and some pics of the speaker cable assembly with those pretty, black chrome banana plugs.

Time for some REAL tweaking!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information