Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    And then, he returned.
    I think we should let the sleeping dog lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I think we should let the sleeping dog lie.
    Oh man! You called him a sleepy a$$ lying dog, all in one shot. Sneaky!
    Last edited by GMichael; 02-27-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    A$$? Where did I say a$$?

Seriously though

Well it sounds like everything is going good. Rich do you own a analog RS meter? If not put it on your list. The auto setup is good, but not perfect. I'm not even using the YPAO right now and set everything manually.The tweaker in me has to go back and double check everything. Also, I don't trust the sub measurements so I go back and adjust that to flat since I take care of the sub myself. I go back and forth with the auto setup thing I guess.

I LOVE the adjustablity of these units. You can go in and tweak almost everything

As GM said, I use the "straight" mode more than anything else. I still mess around though. I actually still got some more tweaking to do myself.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well it sounds like everything is going good. Rich do you own a analog RS meter? If not put it on your list. The auto setup is good, but not perfect. I'm not even using the YPAO right now and set everything manually.The tweaker in me has to go back and double check everything. Also, I don't trust the sub measurements so I go back and adjust that to flat since I take care of the sub myself. I go back and forth with the auto setup thing I guess.

I LOVE the adjustablity of these units. You can go in and tweak almost everything

As GM said, I use the "straight" mode more than anything else. I still mess around though. I actually still got some more tweaking to do myself.
    I have an SPL meter that I borrowed from work. I used it before so I'm comfortable that it'll do what I need it to do. I agree that YPAO isn't perfect, but just watching what it's doing is a learning experience. It showed one of my surrounds as 80' away but again, the beauty of this is that I can run it as often as I like. As far as the sub, the manual indicates that the crossover should be set to max which I found interesting. People here have indicated otherwise in the past.

Refresh me: When in straight mode, what channels are active?

I have an SPL meter that I borrowed from work. I used it before so I'm comfortable that it'll do what I need it to do. I agree that YPAO isn't perfect, but just watching what it's doing is a learning experience. It showed one of my surrounds as 80' away but again, the beauty of this is that I can run it as often as I like. As far as the sub, the manual indicates that the crossover should be set to max which I found interesting. People here have indicated otherwise in the past.

Straight....what goes in comes out. No DSP.

2 channels in = 2.1 out
    5.1 in = 5.1 out
    7.1 in = 7.1 out
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

2 channels in = 2.1 out
    5.1 in = 5.1 out
    7.1 in = 7.1 out
    Hello "GM"!

2 channels in = 2.1 out?!!!!!!
    Is that a new Yamaha thing?! Or are you associating "Stereo" mode with "Direct" mode? Because I know with my Marantz, Direct/Source Direct, or whatever it's referred to, only sends L & R, no sub signal. Now in Stereo mode, I do get 2.1 out. I'm going to check my Yammie 3000 and see if in Direct mode, does it output a subwofer signal. Then again, that receiver is 7 years old and still flawless, and they may have changed some things. I have to give it Yamaha, They can build a quality product!

And remember Rich, you can go straight 2 channel in "Stereo" mode, by deactivating the Sub and switch your fronts to Large. I do that sometimes because in Direct mode when using the Klipschs which are somewhat anemic on the bass side, I don't get the adequate low end so depending on what I'm listening to, I switch the fronts to large and up the bass output to compensate. Yes there's some processing, but not much. And it sounds good. Food for thought.
    That's one of the main reasons why I'm replacing the Klipschs with Paradigms.

Regards.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    Hello "GM"!

2 channels in = 2.1 out?!!!!!!
    Is that a new Yamaha thing?! Or are you associating "Stereo" mode with "Direct" mode? Because I know with my Marantz, Direct/Source Direct, or whatever it's referred to, only sends L & R, no sub signal. Now in Stereo mode, I do get 2.1 out. I'm going to check my Yammie 3000 and see if in Direct mode, does it output a subwofer signal. Then again, that receiver is 7 years old and still flawless, and they may have changed some things. I have to give it Yamaha, They can build a quality product!

Regards.
    With my RX-V2500, Straight mode gives me sub output while Pure direct does not. I'm sure that it can be altered in the settings though. Maybe set "bass" output to mains (or fronts) only. I have mine set on "both". Not sure how it works with the 3000.
    Straight mode also keeps the internal EQ in play where as Pure Direct bypasses everything. I have a challenging room so I still need the EQ for now.

So far I like this Yammie very much. Not as much fun as my 360 Enduro was, but still a great unit.

Is the processing really that much of a concern to you guys?

How often do you guys listen in "pure" mode? No sub?

With my RX-V2500, Straight mode gives me sub output while Pure direct does not. I'm sure that it can be altered in the settings though. Maybe set "bass" output to mains (or fronts) only. I have mine set on "both". Not sure how it works with the 3000.
    Straight mode also keeps the internal EQ in play where as Pure Direct bypasses everything. I have a challenging room so I still need the EQ for now.

So far I like this Yammie very much. Not as much fun as my 360 Enduro was, but still a great unit.
    "GM"!

Good lookin' out! I appreciate the education.

Hey Rich, isn't a lovely feeling when you finally get a system altering piece like your RX-V3800, and then start discovering and experience the improvements?! Although the thrill is temporary, but during that time, there's nothing like it, wouldn't you agree?!
    ldgibson76

If all I ever listened to were the DSP modes then I would say that they sound fantastic. It wasn't until I switched back and forth a few times that I noticed how much better the Straight mode sounded to me. I never use Pure mode though because of how harsh it becomes in my room. I need the EQ to chop off a couple of spikes around 4300 and 6500 htz.

How about you? What modes do you use the most and why?

Hello "L.J."!
    I don't know about the others, but I listen to 2 channel stereo often. That's because I love to listen to music in it's purest form. Of course I use my sub when I'm listening to SACD's or DVD-A's. That's because in most cases, there is a track/signal dedicated to the sub woofer.
    There are some exceptions when it comes to SACD. Some SACD's are strickly 2 channel.
    When video is involved, the sub is always active!
    ldgibson76

If all I ever listened to were the DSP modes then I would say that they sound fantastic. It wasn't until I switched back and forth a few times that I noticed how much better the Straight mode sounded to me. I never use Pure mode though because of how harsh it becomes in my room. I need the EQ to chop off a couple of spikes around 4300 and 6500 htz.

Good Question "GM".

When the Yammie the had the main system duties, before being replaced by the Marantz, I would utilize the multiple "Jazz Club"
    modes, when of course, listening to Jazz. I would sometimes try the "Stadium" modes when watching football games, but the reverberations would become annoying after 5 - 10 minutes.
    I'd end up going back to 8 channel stereo. All of the DSP's are cool and all, but I just didn't have a use for them. The Marantz is more simplistic in that regard. 8 or 9 modes. The 3000 for instance has 61 soundfields and 48 modes! What the hell is that all about!?! Even true audio purist woould never use the "Heidleberg Concert Hall" mode when listening to classical. 2 channel (Pure) is usually the choice according to most claims on other audio forums.
    ldgibson76

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    "GM"!

Good lookin' out! I appreciate the education.

Hey Rich, isn't a lovely feeling when you finally get a system altering piece like your RX-V3800, and then start discovering and experience the improvements?! Although the thrill is temporary, but during that time, there's nothing like it, wouldn't you agree?!
    Without a doubt Id, without a doubt. And I just luuuuuuuv hearing everybody talking about their Yamaha's. I bought my first one with one fact in mind that an engineer I work with, who was involved in the development of the TI Speak-n-Spell project also purchased a Yamaha receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    2 channels in = 2.1 out
    5.1 in = 5.1 out
    7.1 in = 7.1 out
    Excellent! Thank you. I though straight meant the same as 2 channels active regardless of the source format.

Forum Regular
    [FONT=Arial].... The first CD (for you rush fans) was Snakes & Arrows. ......
    Is this the same one? http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-CD-RU...QQcmdZViewItem

Suspended
    Probably gjpham. Never bought CD's from eBay though.

95% straight and 5% pure for music lately. I just don't sit and listen like I used to

For movies it's mostly straight but sometimes I use the movie DSP modes. I have presence speakers hooked up so I like to use those sometimes. Sounds great either way to me.

95% straight and 5% pure for music lately. I just don't sit and listen like I used to

For movies it's mostly straight but sometimes I use the movie DSP modes. I have presence speakers hooked up so I like to use those sometimes. Sounds great either way to me.
    95% straight for me too.
    5% Neo6 for the Sci-fi channel. (it only comes in, in 2 channel here)

Suspended
    95% straight? Man, you guys are boring.

Wait a minute, maybe I shouldn't have put it quite that way...

95% straight? Man, you guys are boring.

Wait a minute, maybe I shouldn't have put it quite that way...
    oh hi darlingsss..lol i tend to listen to music in pure direct cause i think it sounds crisper. but i listen to club music so it probably doesn't matter, but with everything else i use straight.

how did you find the 7.1 channel playback from 5.1 movies? i have currently got a 3800 test unit at my place and am finding it not too good. but i have been busy awith stocktake adjusting at work and probably just need time to play around with it. but i cant wait to play with the new rxv-z11. should be good.

cheers: dazza

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    oh hi darlingsss..lol i tend to listen to music in pure direct cause i think it sounds crisper. but i listen to club music so it probably doesn't matter, but with everything else i use straight.
    Well, with so many different modes for audio playback to choose from, I just feel like I'm cheating myself by not spending any time with them. I'm a big fan of DTS so that's generally where I gravitate to. I just read through the manual where it explains all the different audio/video sound field programs ("Hall in Vienna", The Roxy Theater, and various movie modes), so I should at least try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by diggity/dazza
    how did you find the 7.1 channel playback from 5.1 movies? i have currently got a 3800 test unit at my place and am finding it not too good. but i have been busy awith stocktake adjusting at work and probably just need time to play around with it. but i cant wait to play with the new rxv-z11. should be good.

Truthfully, with my current hearing loss issue, I've only watched one movie, and I listened in 5.1. I don't have anything connected to the Surround Back speaker connections so I really can't answer that question at this time.

Well, with so many different modes for audio playback to choose from, I just feel like I'm cheating myself by not spending any time with them. I just read through the manual where it explains all the different audio/video sound field programs ("Hall in Vienna", The Roxy Theater, and various movie modes), so I should at least try them out.

My wife likes using these when she does karaoke. It's fun and makes her sound like she's in a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    i have currently got a 3800 test unit at my place and am finding it not too good. but i have been busy awith stocktake adjusting at work and probably just need time to play around with it. but i cant wait to play with the new rxv-z11. should be good.

Really, why are looking at a 3800 or z11?

Forum Regular

Run YPAO again!

The next thing I did was prepare for the auto EQ program. I mounted the microphone on my camera’s tripod as recommended, put it in the center of the room and arranged the existing furniture to simulate approximately what the room will resemble...-
    You need to run that YPAO again. Your mic should be set at the listening position. I'm running an RX-V1400 with YPAO with excellent results. I think that might explain your speaker phase and distance issues. You should become more familiar with the owner's manual. There is alot of information in there. You should still use that tripod, just keep the legs short and park it right where you'd park yourself. That 3800 is a sweet unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RX-V3800 first impressions-cds-sub.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information