Mid-Fi

Question about using Denon3802 as a power Amp

My 3802 started some trouble to me. It gives statistic noise in right front channel. So I am taking this chance to do a system upgrade. I bought Paradigm studio40 and Bryston 3B Amp and B&K reference20 pre-pro. Now I am thinking if I can use Denon 3802 as a power amp to drive Center and surround channels. Is that right I should connect B&K processor's pre-outs of center and surround channels to 3802's Ext-in?

If this works, I would be happy my Denon can still do some jobs.

That's some nice equipment you added there...would be a shame to totally 'ghetto' the whole thing by doing what you're thinking of doing. Spend a couple of hundred bucks for a good 2 channel amp, or use that money to upgrade to a 5 channel Bryston. Please don't say you can't afford to do that, if that were true you would not have bought Bryston seperates

Why didn't you just buy a 5 channel Bryston amp in the first place??

N.Abstentia,

Nice setup you got going. I'm so freakin jealous. I gotta baby coming real soon and his room and my HT room are gonna share a wall. Guess who won't be blastin movies till midnight anymore. =(

Mid-Fi

Smile

I've got a big hole in my bank now which is all because I have been hanging here and listening to the guys like you for too much. :-) I have learned quite a lot from you guys...

I have bought Studio 40 v3, Bryston 3B and B&K Ref20 within last 10 days and I have not let my wife know yet... Now I really can't afford spending a penny on it any more.

My original idea is to upgrade main speakers and go seperates for music. But my Denon got troubled, so also I need a HT controller now. I considered some receivers (NAD T753...)and processors. I found this used B&K Ref20 very good value. It is a good 5.1 HT processor but also good for 2 channels. Bang for the buck is always what I should consider,you know...

I used to have a idea (someone posted somewhere) that 3 stereo amps should be better than one 6-channel amp. A 5 channel Bryston is gonna kill my wallet. So maybe in the future I will buy another 2-channel amps to do the work of surrounds. But now I just want to see if my 7.1 Denon receiver (6.1 work fine) can do the work or not. If it can, I think for Denon amp section, driving 3 channels should give better power than driving 7 channels. And other channels are not as important as the fronts. So I really hope it can still drive the surrounds for a while. And furthermore, my surrounds are still Klipsch ones and they don't deserve Bryston power, right?

Thanks L.J.

I'll be entertaining this weekend I hope! Carpet goes down hopefully Tuesday. Might not be air conditioned by then, but I'm wanting to get it cranking!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    N.Abstentia,

Nice setup you got going. I'm so freakin jealous. I gotta baby coming real soon and his room and my HT room are gonna share a wall. Guess who won't be blastin movies till midnight anymore. =(

Come on man, what have you spent so far? $3000? More? For just a couple of hundred bucks you can get another amp to do it right. Keep an eye on ebay...I snatched a 5 channel Carver for $180 a few weeks back. I will use it to drive my PATIO speaker for cripes sake! Get an amp, man!

You could also keep an eye out for one of those killer 3 channel Acurus amps, but it will be closer to the $400-$500 range.

Mid-Fi
    Oh, you...I am being pushed again in the website...

I have been doing research for the mains and amp for a while. I got pretty good deals for used. I got Studio 40 V3 for $900, Bryston 3B for $400 (should be still in warrenty as I looked at shape of its face plate). B&K Ref 20 is $420. I haven't received them yet. But hopefully they are in the good condition as they were described.

I didn't get a 7.1 channel processor that supports surround back channel. I do have built a stand for one rear channel in my living room. Do you think DD EX and DTS ES are much better than 5.1? I didn't buy a 7.1 pre-pro because they are too pricy, normall double or tripple the 5.1 one in the same brand. I feel not very cost efficient.

I should get a 3-channel or 2 stereo amps but not now. I should try to hook up the above three first. when I am not satisfied with the surround channels, then amps...I will find only changing amp does help much because my surround speakers are klipsch which are already pretty sensitive and efficient. So I need also replace them by some better one. OK , I can be satisfied with all 5 channels now, but I will find the bass is too boomy because it is a JBL PB12...new power sub is welcomed....Man, there is no end...

Quote Originally Posted by minye
    Man, there is no end...
    Sure there is....As soon as you run out of money or your wife puts the smack down on ya.

Thread Information