Moviejunkie

Room size & layout

I have a room that will be primarily dedicated to my home theater/sound room. It was my old game room. The room measures 19' 6" by 18'10". Of course each wall has its own problems. One of the long walls has a fireplace and window (wall 1). To the right (wall 2) has a window and a sliding glass door. To the right (wall 3) has a hallway to other rooms at one end and a staircase leading upstairs at the other end. To the right (wall 4) is mostly empty, but the staircase protrudes into the room a few feet.

I think that I want to cover the fireplace with a wood foundation and cloth to cover the brick hearth. Then place the TV stand in front of it. This seems to give me the best/most options for front speaker place.

This room is nearly square. With this cause me problems? Is it generally beter to put the LCR speakers on the shorter or longer wall? Will the hallway (which is only five feet and ends at a bedroom door, a bathroom door and an outside door) cause problems? Should I set up a curtain or door? Will the stairway leading upstairs cause problems?
    B&K Separates, Energy Veritas 2.4i, 2.0ci, 2.0ri, DVSS rears, EXLS 12.2 Sub

Lightbulb room size & layout

Hard to see without a drawing. Looks like a job for Lensman!Did some pretty good display for other people on this site.Pat.P

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Square rooms are a bad problem for audio

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I have a room that will be primarily dedicated to my home theater/sound room. It was my old game room. The room measures 19' 6" by 18'10". Of course each wall has its own problems. One of the long walls has a fireplace and window (wall 1). To the right (wall 2) has a window and a sliding glass door. To the right (wall 3) has a hallway to other rooms at one end and a staircase leading upstairs at the other end. To the right (wall 4) is mostly empty, but the staircase protrudes into the room a few feet.

I think that I want to cover the fireplace with a wood foundation and cloth to cover the brick hearth. Then place the TV stand in front of it. This seems to give me the best/most options for front speaker place.

This room is nearly square. With this cause me problems? Is it generally beter to put the LCR speakers on the shorter or longer wall? Will the hallway (which is only five feet and ends at a bedroom door, a bathroom door and an outside door) cause problems? Should I set up a curtain or door? Will the stairway leading upstairs cause problems?
    Standing waves become huge problems for the bass. I don't have a sketch of what you have in your room, but I think you should put the system along the short wall, and set the mains OFF symmetry from the side walls. You want to try to break up the symmetry as much as possible. I would also recommend that you consider bass traps for the rear corners, or at least move some furniture into that location to help break the standing waves.

Moviejunkie

drawing

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Hard to see without a drawing. Looks like a job for Lensman!Did some pretty good display for other people on this site.Pat.P
    I did a nice diagram using ____ & IIIIII and marked all the windows, stairs, etc. Problem was that when I submitted it, the "spaces" were discarded. So it did not look like anything, the left and right walls collapsed together.
    B&K Separates, Energy Veritas 2.4i, 2.0ci, 2.0ri, DVSS rears, EXLS 12.2 Sub

Thread Information