AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon AVR Won't switch to Dolby Digital

Hi,
    I have an older Denon AVR 682. It's a fantastic little receiver, but it won't switch to Dolby Digital any more. It's done this once before, but I can't remember what I did to get it back. The owner's manual does not say how to switch it, it's supposed to do it automatically. I can switch ProLogic, cinema, etc. I'm at my witt's end. Anyone know what I can do to get Dolby Digital back? Thanks in advance.

simple things first... is there a dolby digital signal being sent to the AVR682 to decode?

not trying to be mean... I had a similar experience with my Denon 2805 a year or two ago when it was in my ht setup... I purchased a dvd which said "DolbyDigital" on the back of the case... when I played the dvd, the default sound track was 2ch, which the denon would either play 2ch or prologic surround.... it took me a couple min to figure out what was going on... but all it took was a change in the setup menu on the dvd...
    hope this helps,
    Mike
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

thanks

Yes, I have tried everything I could with the DVD and had my system set up to where DD was the default, or at least it seemed that way. For years, I would just put in a dvd and it would start playing in DD. We've watched probably a hundred dvds and not one has allowed either auto startup in DD or manual switching to DD. I really don't know what happened. Everything is set up the same.

Forum Regular
    Chasu; are you getting any sound at all when you put a dvd into your player. Do you have a analogue audio output connection from the playe to the receiver and if so, are you getting any analogue audio sound? Perhaps the player may be at fault. Try switching the player to "bitstream" so it's digital output will output all digital data. Did a coaxial or optical connection accidentaly get disconnected from your player or receiver?

I get sound just fine

I'm getting sound and a digital signal with DVDs, but it is just not going to Dolby Digital. My input is on Auto, so it switches between analog and digital, which it does. I got much better sound when it used to play movies in Dolby Digital. ProLogic II is really a let down compared to what it used to sound like. I like it best now on 5ch Stereo just to get full sound from the center, mains, and surrounds. It's still in stereo, but nothing compared to DD. I've tried everything in the manual and all the plugs are connected. I don't know what else to do.

Forum Regular
    Chasu; If you are getting sound over your coxial-optical connection, you must be getting DD sound. What you are saying however is that you are not getting DD 5.1. I am of course not familiar with the receiver other than that most more or less work the same way.
    Do you have access to another dvd player that has a digital 5.1 output(opt or coax). I would try that. If you get 5.1, it is your player. If you do not, then it probably lies with the receiver.

Instead of auto, can you set the receiver to be non-auto DD 5.1. If so, do you now get 5.1 sound? If you do, there might be an auto-sensor problem.

After you try the above, you can pull the power cord out of the wall of the receiver and wait 10 minutes and then plug the power cord of the receiver back into the socket. It is my hope that something needs to be reset in the receiver. You may have to switch back into auto mode.

I'll try that

The receiver used to display "DOLBY DIGITAL" when it was decoding a DD signal from the DVD. It just quit doing it. My Sony DVD player shows Dolby Digital logo on the face of the player. I'll try and unplug it. Maybe it'll reset and It'll be good to go. I'll post again after attempting to reset. Thanks

It is funny that you should have this problem. I was at a buddy's house a couple of weeks ago and his Denon 270? was having the same exact problem and the reciever was not that old. It was intermittent.

I do not think some of the respondents were listening to you too well but even I am sometimes guilty of skipping over some of the responses in between

I have a felling you may have a receiver that is starting to fail. If it is still under warranty, take it in fast. Otherwise, mabye you can find a Denon dealer who has run across this issue before and give you an idea if it is repairable at a reasonable price or not. Keep in mind, he would love to sell you a new one so you may have to place several calls before you find someone that will give you a straight answer.

Wish I had better news.

Forum Regular
    Westcott; I had Chasu try some things out because they would normally be quick tests to do. Chasu may get the problem solved without having to go anywhere hopefully by process of elimination. The odds on favorite would be the receiver, 2nd, the dvd player. If it is as such, your advice would definetly come into immeadiate play.

I had (well, still have, but it's sitting in the basement doing nothing) a Denon receiver that did the same thing. Mine was an AVR3200, or somthing like that; i got it right after Dolby Digital became a "standard", maybe in 1998 or so. It would occasionally switch to DD when it sensed it, but usually it wouldn't, and would just think it was receiving a stereo signal over the optical connection. Infuriated me for a long time. Eventually, i just replaced it with an Onkyo. And it should say "Dolby Digital" on the display if it's decoding that signal, and if you try to change the sound mode (to 5-channel stereo, or pro logic, etc) it should say it can't do that with this signal.

Thread Information