Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Chicago IL
    Go hear it and if you like it, you buy it. Personally I have never been impressed by samsung receivers, look if it was a tv than it is a different story! Exactly the same receiver brand new on ebay goes for $340 with free shipping so I don't know how good deal the local store gives you!

Forum Regular
    I see. What brands should I look for then? This is a small room, and I'm not looking for anything too pricey.

Chicago IL
    Ok what is your max price you can spend on a receiver?

Forum Regular
    Ideally, I don't want to go higher than $400.

Finally found some more reviews for that Sammy. Some glitches/dropouts and a lack of video upscaling makes it a pass after all.

Chicago IL
    For $400 you will have a very big choice. Look for Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. There are many more good brands but those are the most affordable I guess. Make sure they have HDMI.

Forum Regular
    I thought Onkyos ran at high temperatures, though?

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by starschwar
    I thought Onkyos ran at high temperatures, though?
    I have never heard something like that but it is possible. I have one home and I never have had problems with it and no high temperatures as you say!

Forum Regular
    Hm, interesting. I'll go browse again later this week, and I'll check with you all on my other possible choices.

Suspended
    Here's your baby http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V765...1&sr=1-3-fkmr0

You can even step back to a 5 channel to save a few bucks. The recent Yamaha i've heard sounded good.

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I'll be going with that one, then. Can anyone recommend a sub to go with it? Again, small room, don't need anything overly powerful.

Suspended
    The Ultra 10 or 12 at www.emotiva.com are hard to beat for the money. HSU also has what looks like a decent sub around $349.00. I have an Ultra 12, it performs well and a small enclosure.

Forum Regular
    I don't suppose there's something cheaper you know of? Any of those subs cost more than I spent on my previous reciever, 5 speakers, and sub put together.

Suspended
    The Emo Ultra 10 is showing $289.00, http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

I've never used them but I believe Dayton has one for $250.00. Any cheaper than that and you'll be using some kind of computer sub, you might as well do without one until you can save up. I don't have a link but sometimes you can get a cheap 8" Yamaha or Sony but you get what you pay for.

Suspended
    Those most likely will not be able to keep up with your receiver, having little to no real effect. The only one I'd even try would be the Yamaha, at 250 watts it might work. Think of what your sub is to do though, Low Frequency Effects, explosions etc. It takes power and usually a large woofer, 10" or better, to move enough air.

Forum Regular
    Well, I have the receiver and a decent enough sony sub. Haven't hooked it up just yet. Question: is there a way to have the receiver output video from one source and audio from another? For component video in, it only offers an optical output. I have a dvd player that outputs component for video, but 6 ch for audio, a Wii that outputs component w/ rca audio, etc.

Forum Regular
    Nevermind - I can. Added in a firmware update. Unit came with an addemdum explaining it, so I assume its already installed.

Suspended
    Yes, if the receiver does upconverting so other audio and video can pass via HDMI, hopefully that's what the upgrade did for you. Don't worry after the hair pulling and set up is over then you'll have fun.

Forum Regular
    Fun seems like a long, long way away. Why on earth do the speaker cables have to be inserted at a diagonal angle before being screwed in?!?! I've never seen anything like that in my life. I've got to get these in while the unit is in my wall unit, and I've got maybe one inch of space to work. Is this really the standard plug configuration these days? I can't imagine how a 45 degree angle of insertion got approved. How can that be a benefit to anyone in any situation, ever?

Forum Regular
    Well, I managed to get it done, somehow. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Everything's looking and sounding better than ever before.

Suspended
    Glad to hear you are up and running. Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information