Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deep Discount DVD 20% sale...

is going on now! www.deepdiscountdvd.com coupon code DVDTALK

All the prices you see include shipping also. I ordered a few box sets I've been wanting (Star Wars Trilogy for $35...Looney Tunes for $35), and did some Xmas shopping

Hint though...go to amazon or somewhere to find what you want then type the name in the DDD search box...their website is not very organized, but at those prices who cares

That should be 20% OFF sale.

Yep, I picked up 4 titles yesterday.

By the way, the DVDTALK discount code can only be used once. There are other codes though.
    Last edited by L.J.; 11-12-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    is going on now! www.deepdiscountdvd.com coupon code DVDTALK

All the prices you see include shipping also. I ordered a few box sets I've been wanting (Star Wars Trilogy for $35...Looney Tunes for $35), and did some Xmas shopping

Hint though...go to amazon or somewhere to find what you want then type the name in the DDD search box...their website is not very organized, but at those prices who cares
    With HD DVD hitting the streets in the next few months, you will see the prices plummet on 480i DVD. I saw many DVD's priced at $1 at Wal-Mart last week!

Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

Well I doubt I would be able to get the Star Wars Trilogy or the Looney Tunes collections for $1.

I also don't care to wait a few years to see if maybe they might come out on some future format that won't even work on any of my DVD players. For now, 480p DVD is the way to go!

yeah I'm kinda wary about the new formats myself. I'm gonna sit back and wait to see if thing catches on. I do see a PS3 in my future though.

Well I doubt I would be able to get the Star Wars Trilogy or the Looney Tunes collections for $1.
    What I said was that the prices will continue to plummet with the proliferation of High Definition DVD.

For now, 480p DVD is the way to go!
    Yep, but HD DVD will be here in a few months, then you can watch DVD with 2x the resolution of 480p!

The point being, prices will continue to plummet on 480i DVD's. That is very good news for those people that are perfectly happy with that resolution or not capable of reproducing HD signals.

Interesting read regarding the differences between 480p & true HD. Compares the differences between 480p & true HD, to the visual differences between VCR & DVD.
    "The best analogy is the the comparision of 480p to HDTV to the comparison of the inferior video quality VHS to that of DVD. Or, putting it another way, VHS has half the resolution of DVD and DVD is half the resolution of HDTV."
    Read the entire article here:
    http://hometheater.about.com/cs/tele...foxhdtv03a.htm

Robert

Well the first thing they need to do is decide whether it's going to be Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Until then, neither one will get much of a market penetration.

If the price of current DVD's does in fact plummet, that's super for DVD...but death for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. When a movie is available on DVD for $10 that works on all existing players, or HD-DVD for $25 that requires a new $400 player, which one is Joe Sixpack going to support?

If the price of current DVD's does in fact plummet, that's super for DVD...but death for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.
    The prices are plummeting in anticipation of HD DVD. Compare it to the lowering of VCR prices when DVD hit the market. I don't think the low prices of VCR tapes kept people from buying $25 DVD's because of the superior PICTURE QUALITY of DVD when compared to VCR. And the lowering of VCR tape prices certainly didn't spell death for DVD!

Now with HD DVD hitting the streets in a few months, the savvy consumer is holding off buying outdated DVD technology in anticipation of getting HD (with 2x the resolution of 480p)!

When a movie is available on DVD for $10 that works on all existing players, or HD-DVD for $25 that requires a new $400 player, which one is Joe Sixpack going to support?
    Joe Sixpack is probably still holding onto his VCR collection and is perfectly happy with the PQ it provides...lol!

Seriously though, the true videophile will not hesitate to embrace a technology the provides 2x the resolution of 480p, and $25 per movie and $400 for a new DVDP is "chump-change" to a person that has $30-100k invested in their dedicated HT. Remember, PQ is EVERYTHING, and HD is the ony way to go!

And besides, anybody with any clue at all about HT is not buying a monitor that doesn't have the ability to reproduce true HD! HD is here to stay!~

But, thanks for the info regarding the hugh slash in DVD prices. But, I'm not buying ANY new DVD's with HD DVD hitting the streets in the next few months. After watching HD programming almost exclusively now for the last year or so, I found I can't stand to watch the DVD's I have now because of the inferior PQ of 480p when compared to true HD!

Enjoy your DVD's, and stock up while the prices continue to plummet!

Robert

Oh I do agree with most of that, trust me. I'm just making the points that:

1) These people need to decide which format is going to be 'the one'. Yes, like you said, videophiles will embrace either one. Problem with that is, videophiles make up 2% of the people that shop at Walmart/Bestbuy/Blockbuster video. Joe Sixpack will fail to see why he should pay 3 times as much for a product that will perform the same as a regular DVD on his $500 TV.

2) There is a point of diminishing returns here on picture quality. Yes I realize it will look better than DVD, but how much better? There is, like you said, a huge step from VHS to DVD....however there has to be a ceiling here, so where is it? I fail to see where 1080i is 3 times better than 480p (yes it's better..but not night/day, lets face it) so how much better than 1080i can HD-DVD be? And the main thing...will it look that much better on the current installed base of consumer television sets?

3) Back to the videophiles, yes videophiles will fully embrace it. I will also eventually, so don't think I'm against this..I'm just bringing up points here. Anyway, yes videophiles will love it. Then again, audiophiles are embracing SACD, DVD-A, and Vinyl....me included. Where are they? WalMart? Nope. Best Buy? I saw 3 SACD titles the last time I was there. I have to drive over an hour to get to a record store that carries DVD-A/SACD's, and they always have the same ones. They don't sell, and they don't order new.

So, videophiles are not going to cut it. They HAVE to decide on a format, and they HAVE to sell it to Joe Sixpack. Let's not forget...Blockbuster video did not buy into DVD until a few years ago. Of course that's their own stupidity, but they do represent Joe Sixpack...sadly enough.

2) There is a point of diminishing returns here on picture quality. Yes I realize it will look better than DVD, but how much better? There is, like you said, a huge step from VHS to DVD....however there has to be a ceiling here, so where is it? I fail to see where 1080i is 3 times better than 480p (yes it's better..but not night/day, lets face it)
    What I actually said was the difference between DVD & true HD can be compared to the difference between VCR & DVD. The difference between 480p and true HD IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! As much so as VHS when compared to DVD. If you fail to see that, then good for you. You should be very happy with 480 resolution from now on! Let's face it, some people fail to see the difference between VCR tape and DVD, so they have kept their VCR collection. To them the "ceiling" has been met.

Yes, their will be a ceiling, but what the ceiling is and when it will come are unknown. But be assured we are no where close to that ceiling. If I were guessing, I would say holographic imaging will be the next new technology.
    so how much better than 1080i can HD-DVD be?
    I think you may be confused because HD-DVD will be 1080i source material. The ability to convert that signal to 1080p will be dependant upon the DVDP and the limitations of the monitor.

3) Back to the videophiles, yes videophiles will fully embrace it. I will also eventually, so don't think I'm against this..I'm just bringing up points here. Anyway, yes videophiles will love it. Then again, audiophiles are embracing SACD, DVD-A, and Vinyl....me included. Where are they? WalMart? Nope. Best Buy? I saw 3 SACD titles the last time I was there.
    IMO trying to compare SACD or DVD-A market penetration to HIgh Definition DVD is not a fair comparison. Most music listening is done not in the home, but in the vehicle. No low cost method of adapting SACD or DVD-A to the car exist. Yes, their are a couple of players, but it is a very complicated install that includes the installation of a center channel. For home use of DVD-A or SACD, the solution is much easier, but then again, who sits in thier THEATER room to listen to music? Well, I do, but 98% of the time I'm watching a video source.......
    High Definition DVD will thrive. No doubt about it. HD is here to stay, and the visual difference between DVD & HD is NIGHT & DAY.
    btw, the Best Buys in the DFW area of Texas have HUGH selections of DVD-A as well as SACD. In fact they carry ALL the available titles.

All this has gotten a little off subject, but interesting none the less. Back to subject though........Thanks for the info regarding the HUGH slashing of DVD pricing that has started in anticipation of High Definition DVD hitting the market in the next few months!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robert393
    All this has gotten a little off subject, but interesting none the less. Back to subject though........Thanks for the info regarding the HUGH slashing of DVD pricing that has started in anticipation of High Definition DVD hitting the market in the next few months!

Robert
    Well, just to be fair...it's not really a price slashing. It's a 20% of sale that they do twice a year and they have been doing that ever since they day they starting selling DVD's. It's kind of a special event that a lot of people wait for which is why I let everybody know that it started. The sale will be over next week and prices will go back up.

Well, just to be fair...it's not really a price slashing.
    20% off with Free shipping..........sounds like a pretty big price slash to me. I say STOCK UP!~
    Robert

Okay then yes, it's a price slashing. Prices are slashed. However prices are not being slashed because of a new format coming down the road in a year or two as you implied. It's an annual sale.

But I hope you are right...I hope DVD's do come down to $1 each! Of course then there would be no reason to shell out $30 for an HD-DVD...so maybe you'd better not wish for that after all

However prices are not being slashed because of a new format coming down the road in a year or two as you implied.

I never implied a new format in a year or two. What I said was a FEW MONTHS. High Definition DVD will be "on the shelves" before next summer.

But I hope you are right...I hope DVD's do come down to $1 each!
    Many shelves of titles are ALREADY $1 at Wal-Mart.

Of course then there would be no reason to shell out $30 for an HD-DVD.
    The reason I will "shell out $30 for an HD-DVD" will be because....IT'S HD ....LOL@!!! In case you haven't been listening, HD DVD is 2x the resolution of the 480p DVD!!!!! Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for ANY DVD because HD DVD will be here in a few months. Like I already said, I can't stand to watch the DVD collection I have now because it is inferior 480p. I'm used to watching nothing but HD.

Anyway, thanks again for the info regarding the DVD sale.

It's Sunday and I'm going to watch the NFL in HD........all-day-long & then ESPN HD tonight! Hope everyone else is enjoying the NFL in HD today too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, N. Abstentia, I know you will have to respond, because you ALWAYS have to have the last word......lol! When your writing your response just think for a moment how AWESOME the NFL must look in HD!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robert393
    btw, N. Abstentia, I know you will have to respond, because you ALWAYS have to have the last word......lol! When your writing your response just think for a moment how AWESOME the NFL must look in HD!

Robert
    If I were a football fan I might care.

Anyway, I'm too busy marveling at how good my non-inwall speakers sound! I'm getting 2x the soundstage than you can get from an inwall. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for inwall speakers.

I saw those awesome $1 Walmart DVD's by the way...they are all public domain stuff. I didn't see any 'HD-DVDs'. Have fun waiting 2-3 years to buy the movies I'm enjoying in 480p right now! How cool you'll be when you are the first one on the block to own Star Wars Ep. 3 on HD-DVD! Too bad it will be 2 years old by then. I've watched it 3 times already.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for looping everyone in on the 20% sale, NA!

Interesting conversation regarding HD DVDs again- I always find it entertaining. I don't think many people at all will be buying into it right away- similar to when DVDs hit the market; the average Joe wasn't getting into DVDs right off the bat. Once DVDs became more mainstream (more affordable), it spread like wildfire though. Some people really really care about the 2x the resolution, however, the majority of the world doesn't give a crap. When I talk to a non-audio/videofile type person, they don't even know about a new format coming out. Or if they know about it, they don't care because they're 100% pleased with standard DVDs.

Also, we have to remember, to take advantage of the HD DVD, you need an HDTV, right? Even though HDTVs are much cheaper and in a lot more households compared to last year, SDTVs are still in a great great majority of homes.

Also, I don't see people replacing their DVD collections anytime soon- talk about costing a pretty penny. If anything, the average consumer will increase their DVD collection because of the lower prices.

It will be interesting to see what happens once the new format is rolled out- there's going to need to be some very clever marketing and pricing to move them quickly to the non-audio/videofile.

Nice discussion!
    Eric

Good points Eric. I'd love to see HD-DVD (or BluRay) come out at prices that are half of what the DVD is. That's how they will get an installed base. Will it happen? Probably not. It will more than likely be the other way around and HD-DVD will be niche product just like DVD-A.

I'm also assuming that HD-DVD will hold more data, correct? So that might actually make things cheaper. Instead of The Simpsons being on 4 DVD's maybe it will come out on a single HD-DVD and cost less.

I'm getting 2x the soundstage than you can get from an inwall.
    Dude, if I remember correctly you have Paradigm Speakers. You got POWERED BOOKSHELFS all the way around. I wouldn't be talking too much about other peoples speakers....lol!!

Like I said, thanks for the info regarding the plummeting prices on DVD. I'm watching HD though.....you got it?
    Robert

You obviously know nothing about speakers. If you knew anything about MY speakers you'd be drooling just thinking about them.

Take the best sounding full range bookshelf you can think of, then add FOUR top quality amps and an active crossover to them. There you have my speakers. How many setups have you seen with FOUR dedicated amps, custom built for the speakers they are mated with...one for each tweeter and one for each set of woofers, seperated by an electronic crossover with no caps or coils in the equation?

Pretty sad your only arguement is to bash a speaker design, which you know nothing about.

Stick to your HD-DVD's...whenever they come out...and leave the audio side to us audio guys.

You obviously know nothing about speakers. If you knew anything about MY speakers you'd be drooling just thinking about them.
    POWERED BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS.....that pretty much says it all....lol!

btw, this is the HOME THEATER forum. Who would actually build a HOME THEATER that can't support HD????????//

Dude, if I had to live here, I would need some strong anti-depressants....forget the fact that I have crappy bookshelf speakers, and no ability to have HD. I would probably want to shot myself everytime I pulled in the driveway and had to walk into this (house?).

Robert

Please don't let the fact that you have crappy speakers stop you from shooting yourself. Please go ahead and do us all a favor. Maybe the scumbag that shot the guy in your avatar will help us out and shoot you in the face also?

How many dedicated amplifiers do you have for your inwall speakers? Oh, I thought not. Maybe someday you'll be able to afford them. It must burn your ass to know that I actually BUILT a dedicated room designed for audio/video from the ground up while all you could do was throw some equipment in your living room. Must suck to be you.

And why would I be worried about having HD in a THEATER ROOM? How many DVD's that are out are 1080p? How many movies are shown in theaters at 1080p?

You're clearly out of your league here (resorting to personal attacks when backed into a corner) so I suggest you just give it up. I'd hate to see you banned.

Please don't let the fact that you have crappy speakers stop you from shooting yourself. Please go ahead and do us all a favor. Maybe the scumbag that shot the guy in your avatar will help us out and shoot you in the face also?

How many dedicated amplifiers do you have for your inwall speakers? Oh, I thought not. Maybe someday you'll be able to afford them. It must burn your ass to know that I actually BUILT a dedicated room designed for audio/video from the ground up while all you could do was throw some equipment in your living room. Must suck to be you.

And why would I be worried about having HD in a THEATER ROOM? How many DVD's that are out are 1080p? How many movies are shown in theaters at 1080p?

You're clearly out of your league here (resorting to personal attacks when backed into a corner) so I suggest you just give it up. I'd hate to see you banned.
    Seems I hit a nerve. Now, SHHHHHHHHHhhhh.........unruffle your feathers. Time to go nite-nite N. Abstentia

Hey, I thought I told you to give it up. Now go on...GET.

I also notice that you have floor standing speakers...with subwoofers BUILT IN?!?!? Whaaaaaaa???? How can you turn your nose up at a speaker that has 4 dedicated custom amps built in, then go and get speakers with built in subs????? I'll bet you think those sound good, too. Poor guy.

Now go away. You lost any credibility you might have had at around post #15.

You lost any credibility you might have had at around post #15.
    You lost any credibility when claimed this to be your (house?)....lol! My dedicated HT alone probably has more square footage.....and brick....lol! I bet your place is very popular during Halloween. Stick a couple of your BOOKSHELF speakers in the windows and play some scary music, and you could charge an admission and advertise as a Haunted House! Do you have electricity in that (house?) or do you burn wood for fire and lite candles for lighting?

N. Abstentia, you have slung quite a bit of mud, but don't like it when it comes back to you. Sometimes when you mess with the bull, you get the horns! If you can't be civil here, you may want to stick with the audio forum? After all, this IS the HT forum, and let's face it, you're not even able to reproduce HD!

You want to quit this foolishness.........or shall we continue?
    Like I have said, thanks for the info regarding the DVD sale. Now, why don't we leave it at that?

Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information