Remote control advice

Printable View

• 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
    eglinski
    Remote control advice
    Hello to everyone,http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/18.gif
    this is my first post, I am looking to buy a Sony RM AX-4000a universal learning remote
    anyone have one of these?
    my concern is I want to control a Sanyo Z-5 projector, Fosgate audionics Pre-Processer and my inexpensive Mustang electric screen.. it has a 3 button IR remote I am wondering if I will have any luck finding codes ect. any info would be helpful, thanks
  • 12-31-2007, 02:18 AM
    pixelthis
    One rule of thumb for universal remotes
    HAVE ONE.
    Also, get one with learning capability.
    I had a sony touchscreen , had a lot of compromises but worked.
    You need a remote with some of what are called, marcos, these are programmed
    sets of instructions that come in handy.
    That way you can hit a button, and the screen lowers, the projector comes on, the receiver comes on, etc.
    I take my marcos for granted, am used to hitting the power button and everything coming on, hitting the dvd button and the input changing, etc
    Welcome, and good luck:1:
  • 12-31-2007, 08:55 AM
    eglinski
    Thanks Pixelthis,
    What model Sony did you have? I assume they all have those nacros and hopefully fully customizable. It is important for me to be able to see the universal remote in a darkened room and my eyes ... not as good as all the younger guys!
    is there another remote that you like better {100.00-150.00} price range?
    thanks
  • 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM
    eglinski
    Oh I see, PRONTO... right?
  • 12-31-2007, 09:49 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Harmony
    Hi eglinski, welcome to the forums!

A few of us here have the Logitech Harmony line of universal remotes, particularly the 880. Some thread searching will glean much information about it right here in the Home Theater forum. What Pix calls marcros, the 880 calls activities. Push one button and the AVR comes on, the TV and the Set-Top-Box come on... etc. You can also finds a wealth of info on it on the WWW. Happy hunting!
  • 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
    johnny p
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis

You need a remote with some of what are called, marcos,
    :

I don't use the macro function with mine..... Just don't like it really, because I'll find the receiver is off, and just the T.V. is on (due to the wife) and I may not realize it, etc... and basically the macro just complicates it for me....... I'm pretty nimble with the fingers, so no macros needed!
  • 12-31-2007, 09:00 PM
    N. Abstentia
    The Harmony 880 will make you throw that Sony remote in the dumpster.
  • 01-01-2008, 02:48 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The Harmony 880 will make you throw that Sony remote in the dumpster.

I have heard that the Harmony is good.
    But the Sony has it beat on looks, its a cool touchscreen.
    As for PRONTO, dont get me started!
    It cost five hundred bucks, and I love it, even tho I need my glasses to read the screen,
    I know where everything is so no big deal.
    And one thing about universals, you only have to learn where the buttons are once,
    doesnt matter where they are on the OEM remote, get a new DVD player for instance,
    and the buttons are in the same place, very nice.
    But back to PRONTO, DONT KNOW WHAT i WILL DO WHEN IT BREAKS.
    Its got pronto edit, I can set up screens and marcos on my computer, really cool, I have a picture of Angelina Jolie on one for instance.
    But they came out with a color model, nice, and then everything went south.
    The "new" Pronto doesnt resemble the classic in any way, its a thousand bucks, used RF and infra red, wi-fi, networking, you name it, and you cant download bitmaps anymore,
    you pratically have to pay someone to set it up(you do, I dont)
    Well, if I wanted A FREAKIN Celestron I WOULD GET ONE!
    In other words a nice cheap way to get a touchscreen that controls all of your gear, is
    programmable by USB from your computer, works flawlessy , I love the freakin thing,
    its like a part of my hand, its literally an interface to my system.
    Dont know if they stll sell the color "pronto classic" but I hope so.
    Why do people have to always "fix" something that aint broke?:1:
  • 01-01-2008, 02:51 AM
    pixelthis
    BTW, dont know if they are still around, but remotecentral.com was always a good place for info on remotes, advice, files, etc:1:
  • 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
    eglinski
    Pixelthis, did you need your glasses to read the Sony? which has a brighter screen? are the hard buttons lighted on the Sony?.. the Pronto?

I kind of like the idea of a "tablet" style.. just personal preference I guess
    I like the look and price of the Sony, although I have no sony components
    Will the Sony 4000a, Pronto 3000 or {non color lcd:currently available} harmony-1000
    URC theater master-1000 control a projector...with a macro? on my Sanyo projector and remote I have to press the power button twice to turn it off:17:
    oh well, lots of decisions!! thanks for all the input
  • 01-03-2008, 01:10 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eglinski
    Pixelthis, did you need your glasses to read the Sony? which has a brighter screen? are the hard buttons lighted on the Sony?.. the Pronto?

I kind of like the idea of a "tablet" style.. just personal preference I guess
    I like the look and price of the Sony, although I have no sony components
    Will the Sony 4000a, Pronto 3000 or {non color lcd:currently available} harmony-1000
    URC theater master-1000 control a projector...with a macro? on my Sanyo projector and remote I have to press the power button twice to turn it off:17:
    oh well, lots of decisions!! thanks for all the input

All of the buttons are lit on the Pronto, dont know about the Sony.
    The graphics are smaller than they look on the prontoedit screen on my computer, but its not that important, I KNOW WHAT THEY ALL DO ANYWAY.
    Which is the great thing about a universal, which is why I keep preaching to get one,
    even though most think its a "waste".
    A universal ties your uncorordinated stack of "stuff" together and makes them into a "real" system, The remotes go where they belong, in a drawer.
    Take you Sanyo, just program twoi button pushes into your marco, you wont even notice
    it. I HAVE A ON AND OFF BUTTON ON MY RECEIVER, so I have two buttons on my pronto, on and off. Both turn on (or off) the receiver, my Sony DVD recorder, my vizio.
    I want to see my Sony, i hit sony on my home page , the tv switches to componet,
    the receiver switches to video 2, etc.
    Back to the digital cable box? The receiver switches back to video3 and the vizio switches back to hdmi. All of this automation was work to do, but makes life easier
    in the long run.
    But the major reason for a universal is that the remote in your 1,000 4 RECEIVER BOX ISNT GOING TO BE THAT GOOD, IT CANT BE.
    A universal gets the ergonomic quirks out, honestly I think the dumbest people in the company get shifted to the remote control dept.
    GM said on another thread that without a projector a HT wasnt really an "ht".
    HE was wrong (as usual) but one things true, without a universal to automate your system you dont have a system, just a unorginized bunch of stuff that makes your living room look like Circuit city blew up.
    And for what its worth, I love my pronto, its really the best accessory I have ever bought,
    and its contributed more to my enjoyment than anything.
    Thats because its transparent, it does what a good remote does, allow me to enjoy my stuff without juggling remotes, futzing with batteries, etc:1: