Forum Regular

Question Signal (cable) Amplifier

I'm wondering if the Signal Amplifiers you can buy at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc really work? Presently our home has eleven (11) cable connection provisions with six (6) of them being used. I just purchased a DLP TV and I want to be sure I'm getting the best possible signal, is it worth purchasing one of these amplifiers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoomingm3
    I'm wondering if the Signal Amplifiers you can buy at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc really work? Presently our home has eleven (11) cable connection provisions with six (6) of them being used. I just purchased a DLP TV and I want to be sure I'm getting the best possible signal, is it worth purchasing one of these amplifiers?

Thanks
    I used the one from the Shack. It did absolutely nothing. I gave mine away to a friend. Who knows your case may be different. Try one out and return it if your not happy.

I haven't heard good things about the Radio Shack; for one thing, it isn't bi-directional. Motorola supposedly makes a good signal booster, but it's not as cheap. You might also try your cable company for a recommendation, or even for one to use. With the number of splits that you're doing, an amplifier would appear to be a good purchase. But don't forget to cap the splits that aren't in use. Open ones can cause signal loss.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    I haven't heard good things about the Radio Shack; for one thing, it isn't bi-directional. Motorola supposedly makes a good signal booster, but it's not as cheap. You might also try your cable company for a recommendation, or even for one to use. With the number of splits that you're doing, an amplifier would appear to be a good purchase. But don't forget to cap the splits that aren't in use. Open ones can cause signal loss.
    Absolutely, make sure you put 75ohm terminators on any unused outlets. Call your cable company and request a service call to check the signals, they may charge you for the amplifier though. I wouldn't put an amp in if there's no problem though.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Thread Information